No! I am not just like an American!

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:17 am
<google and a couple of local papers covered this under health - so I went with that for categorization>

Canucks just as assertive as Americans

Quote:
The study, which investigated the accuracy of national character stereotypes in 49 cultures around the world, carries significant implications, Mr. McCrae said.

"When stereotypes of national or ethnic groups are unfavorable, they can lead to prejudice, discrimination or persecution, of which history and the world today are full of tragic examples," the paper says.

The research compared people's descriptions of their "typical" compatriot to their own personality traits and those of a friend or loved one. The differences were often striking. (The study did not measure perceptions through the eyes of foreigners.) Canadians, for example, believe they are generally submissive. But when it came to assessing levels of assertiveness, Canadians and Americans had nearly identical scores -- which were a bit higher than the world average.

"That's probably as striking a contrast as you could ask for," Mr. McCrae said.

The "most discordant" results came from England, where people consider themselves to be reserved and conventional. However, those that took the test in England were actually extroverted and open to new experiences.

Czechs believe they are antagonistic and disagreeable, but they scored higher than most on measures of altruism and modesty. Indians say they are unconventional and open to a wide range of new experiences, but were more conventional than residents of other countries.

Some people actually lived up to their stereotypes. Germans, for example, consider themselves hard-working and industrious -- and the personality tests showed they were.

French mechanics and English cooks

Quote:
Heaven, the joke goes, is a place where the police are English, the mechanics German and cooks French. Hell is where the police are German, the mechanics French and the cooks English.

There's just one problem. A new study in the journal Science finds that our stereotypes about different cultures, whether positive or negative, are just plain unreliable.

"Overall, there's about zero overlap" between perception and reality, says Robert McCrae of the National Institute on Aging.

Researchers from around the world asked 3,989 people in 49 cultures to define their cultural character, then compared the self-assessments with separate personality profiles of those cultures conducted by psychologists, says Antonio Terracciano, also affiliated with the federal agency.

The researchers looked at cultures rather than nations. For example, French-speaking and German-speaking Swiss were considered separately.

The 'Typical' American Doesn't Exist

a whole page of google news links about the study
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 851 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:46 am
Lord, I would never dare say you were just like an American, Bethles!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:57 pm
just dropping this off somewhere inconspicuous

Lash wrote:
Terrorism is the use of fear and intimidation through threats and acts of violence to achieve a political goal.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 03:19 pm
oh sweetie - being a Canuck is hard some days Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 03:42 pm
ehBeth wrote:
just dropping this off somewhere inconspicuous

Lash wrote:
Terrorism is the use of fear and intimidation through threats and acts of violence to achieve a political goal.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
I don't see too much at all.

Mirror, mirror, do your duty,
Show me now a thing of beauty.

Mirror, mirror, infamy!!!!!!!!!...
That doesn't look a BIT like me!

Mirror, mirror, liberal traitor!
You're just another US hater!!!

Mirror, mirror, look your last,
I'll smash you with a rocket blast.

Mirror, mirror, now you're free,
In shards........ but a democracy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 05:40 pm
<tiptoeing in with something else for the holding tank ... gotta mull this over>

nemmind
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:05 pm
<in mother hen tone...>And what do you think you're doing?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:24 pm
bm for the original post

and to praise the bunny for her ditties, theyre as good as my bunny haikus...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:27 pm
(...enters with popcorn and plops down on loveseat)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
Hey! What's so wrong with us USA'ns.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:10 am
If you have to ask...
0 Replies