Hillary Outraged

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:15 am
Quote:
Clinton wants money for women's legal project restore

WASHINGTON Senator Hillary Clinton wants federal money restored for upstate's only legal assistance program for female victims of domestic violence.

A statement from Clinton's office says the Department of Justice last month denied funding to the Capital District Women's Bar Association Legal Project.

Clinton said, quote, "I am outraged that such a valuable program may have to close its doors."

A letter from Clinton to the Justice Department says the project has helped more than 4-thousand low-income victims of domestic violence and sexual assault since 1996.

The United States Office of Justice Programs in 2003 called the project a model one.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press.
Source

Turn it into a faith-based organization, and the money will start pouring in plentiful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:32 am
bush panders...she might as well...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:42 am
Actually, I really wanted to write something different ... ...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:47 am
Just use "shift" and the number keys, Walter. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:49 am
Still a bit on 'either black or white', squinney (due to JD's end) .... and I wouldn't like to be banned additionally. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:05 am
This is very likely just another example of an explicit and broad long-term new conservative project to "defund the left".

Sending funding to 'faith-based' projects and programs is an example of how this strategy works. Another is the 'K Street Project'. Charter schools is another.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:16 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
bush panders...she might as well...

How is this pandering?

The shame of it is that this is the only center that does this in upstate New York. Do you know how large upstate New York is? It is 300 miles from Albany, where the center is, to Buffalo.

Considering the extent of rape and domestic violence in this country, there should be a facility like this in every county.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:56 am
Hey we have to pay for my war say's Bush. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:53 am
Well, actually I really think it's .... what blatham and kelticwizard said. (My first response was thought to be ironic.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:44 pm
First, I don't agree with privatizing EVERYTHING, as Bush is attempting to do. Nor do I agree that religious organizations should be meeting all of the needs of the poor with no assistance for the poor from the government.

I agree with blatham and kw, but isn't this one of those things where the legal profession should step forward? Legal assistance for victims of domestic violence could easily be accomplished by requiring a certain number of pro bono hours per year. If 4000 victims were assisted in 9 years, that's only 444 per year, maybe one or two cases per family law attorney. Is that too much to ask?

Given that it's the Capital District Women's Bar Association Legal Project, I wouldn't think it too difficult to have intrested civic minded attorneys fundraise and promote the program through the State Bar Association. Might even give lawyers a good name for a change.
0 Replies