Revealed at last, the dirt file on Hitler

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:59 am
October 8, 2005

A 1943 psychiatric dossier aimed to humiliate and destroy the German dictator, writes Gary Hughes.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/10/07/hitler_narrowweb__200x243.jpgThe Age
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,620 • Replies: 16
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm
freedom4free wrote:
...suffering from "homosexual panic"....

Rut-roh. This does not bode well for the anti-homosexual-marriage crowd.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm
That's interesting, but this doesn't really seem like "politics." Am I missing something?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
Henry Murray, interestingly enough, worked with Ted K, aka the Unabomber, when Ted was a student at Harvard. A remarkable book, "Harvard and the Unabomber", discusses how the experience of being broken down psychologically in Murray's lab may have been a big influence on Ted.

Carry on...
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
Nonsense. Hitler was many things but cowardly??? No. He served bravely(fanatically by some accounts) in WWI and was not known for shrinking from any opposition. He was an evil f_ck, but the man had a lot of balls. As far as being homophobic, I doubt it. He knew about Ernst Rohms homosexuality for a long time and let it slide because Rohm was an effective, ruthless soldier.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 01:34 am
John Creasy wrote:
He served bravely(fanatically by some accounts) in WWI and was not known for shrinking from any opposition. He was an evil f_ck, but the man had a lot of balls. As far as being homophobic, I doubt it. He knew about Ernst Rohms homosexuality for a long time and let it slide because Rohm was an effective, ruthless soldier.

The idea that Hitler served bravely in WWI is .... ehem ... somewhat very questionable. His homophobie, however, has actually never been questioned seriously: some tenthousands of killed homosexuals (in the KZ's) are evidence enough, I think.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
I'm glad to see this thread was moved from "Politics" to "History." There seems to be some disagreement on how bravely Hitler served in World War II, although most historians say there is nothing in the military record of which to be ashamed. As for his homophobia, it was politically convenient for him to ignore Ernst Rohm's deviant behavior and simply pretend that these were just unsubstantiated rumors. Rohm was a popular leader of the Sicherdienst (SD) and Hitler could not afford to alienate the SD. All other homosexuals were rounded up as common criminals and execuited along with Jews, Romanies (Gypsies) and many others.

But, more interestingly, the American PsychOps evaluation tell us a lot about how the OSS was waging the war, rather than telling us anything new about Hitler. And the resemblance to the treatment of Saddam Hussein after his capture is intriguing and, perhaps, telling.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:49 am
You certainly were referring to Hitler's military serving in WWI, Andrew, I suppose.

Well, Hitler was in a 'messenger group' of the so-called List Regiment (16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment), since he was found unfit for serving for his native country's [Austria] forces.

The List Regiment and the headquarters messenger group suffered tremendous casualties during the war, but Hitler avoided many close calls and regularly indicated he expected to survive the war. (That's at least one of the reasons, we he wasn't promoted: otherwise, he had to leave that messenger group and do perhaps front duties.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:55 pm
Smile Of course I meant WW I, not II, Walter. Fat fingers!

You say he wasn't promoted. But he was promoted to the rank of Gefreite or Corporal. Not a high rank, assuredly, but indicative of the fact that his superiors weren't entirely displeased with him.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:04 am
Actually, he got out of enlistment in the Austrian army precisely because he wanted to enlist in the German army. He always felt that he was more of a German than an Austrian. Well actually he felt that Austria has always been part of Greater Germany as did his colleagues.

As far as bravery goes, by most accounts, he was very brave and one of his comrades said he "was almost too eager to go out on dangerous missions." I think it's always convienent to think of someone as evil as Hitler as a coward. Just because someone is brave doesn't make them a decent person.

Maybe you're right about the homo thing. It's impossible to say what went on in the man's head though. I think it's safe to say that he had enough hatred to spread around to everybody that wasn't in accord with his ideas and morals. Also remember that many of his comrades had a great influence on him. He wasn't a one-man show as many would believe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:20 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Actually, he got out of enlistment in the Austrian army precisely because he wanted to enlist in the German army.

No. Definately this is wrong:

1913 Hitler fled to Bavaria (Germany), because he wanted to abscond from the royal-imperial physical examination, he was due to.
When he returned to Austria in 1914, he was arrested, shortly imprisoned and then let free.
February 5, 1914 the royal and imperial commssion for the physical examinazion in Salzburg decided after having tested Hitler that he was infit to serve.

On August 2, 1914, Hitler applied an "immediat request" that he could serve as a foreigner in the Bavarian army. This was granted the other day.

Quote:
he felt that Austria has always been part of Greater Germany as did his colleagues.

Any source for that, especially re the second part?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
So he voluntarily requested to join the German army. That's my point exactly.

Go read mein kampf where he repeatedly lays out his desire to reunite all german speaking peoples.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
John Creasy wrote:
So he voluntarily requested to join the German army. That's my point exactly.

Go read mein kampf where he repeatedly lays out his desire to reunite all german speaking peoples.

Your now "point exactly" is different to what you said before.
And: he was unfit for the military service. To join the Bavarian army was the easiest way to go war. When you say that was a voluntariyl joinment - be it so.

All generations before mine had to read Mein Kampf - the results are known.

(I did read, partly, however, during my studies at university.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 01:59 pm
I have to weigh in on the side of John Creasy here. Hitler did believe that Austria should be a part of Germany. The whole Ein Volk, ein Kampf sloganeering points to that. He thought all German-speaking peoples on the Continent should be united. It's precisely why the Anschluss of his native Austria was his first step, even before the invasion of the largely German-speaking Sudentenland of Czechoslovakia.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:10 pm
He obviously wasn't unfit for German military service. He did not want to be in the Austrian army, he wanted to be in the German army.

In mein kampf, he states repeatedly that a greater Germany is his goal. All germanic peoples should be restored to one mighty empire. Why do you think it was called the third reich? The first reich was the holy roman empire, the second was bismarck's empire.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:15 pm
"Today it seems to me providential that fate should have chosen Braunau on the Inn as my birthplace. For this little town lies on the boundary between two German states which we of the younger generation at least have made it our life work to reunite by every means at our disposal." from Mein Kampf, 1923
0 Replies

giordansmith

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:25 am
Hitler's alleged homophobia
In his memoir - currently published under the title 'The Unknown Hitler' - Putzi Hanfstaengl, who was homophobic, dealt specifically with this question. He said that neither he nor anyone else could work out why Hitler was not homophobic amd thought that Hitler's lack of problems with homosexuals was very strange. It's probably for this reason that he retails in this book a half-baked theory that the explanation was that Hitler was himself a repressed homosexual.

Giordan Smith
http://holocaust-lies.blogspot.com
0 Replies