Bill Clinton: U.S. Likely to Lose in Iraq

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 09:51 am
Thursday, Oct. 6, 2005

Ex-president Bill Clinton is predicting that the U.S. will lose the war in Iraq, saying "the odds are not great of our prevailing there."

In an interview with the Ladies Home Journal due out next month, Clinton calls the Iraq war "a quagmire" and warns "it could go wrong."

He reminded: "Since the end of World War II, the only major foreign power that succeeded in putting down an insurgency was the British putting down the Malay insurgency, but the British stayed 15 years."

"So you can say for historical reasons, the odds are not great of our prevailing there," he argued.

Newsmax
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,280 • Replies: 28
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:19 am
He may be right.

This is a fight he backed away during his 8 years in office since he was in "bed" with the Saudi's and really has no credibility in this matter.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:29 am
Oh come on, Clinton in bed with Saudis as opposed to the Bush empire and the Saudi empire?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:29 am
woiyo wrote:
He may be right.

This is a fight he backed away during his 8 years in office since he was in "bed" with the Saudi's and really has no credibility in this matter.

This is a fight the first George Bush backed away from as well.

And both did so for good reasons....because if we did go in there...we would create a quagmire like Vietnam...get a bunch of our military personnel killed and maimed...kill of a bunch of Arabs...alienate huge segments of the globe...and...

...well, I could go on, but why bother.

Dumbya has screwed up royally...and we are all going to pay for it while he sits fat, stupid, and safe.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:51 am
Perhaps if Bush had any Idea of history and the people of the region he would have done as Bush 41 and Clinton did.
Unfortunately since he can't read or understand anything larger than a one syllable words he could not possibly have understood the consequences of his actions. That is what happens when the village idiot is elected president.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:53 am
Perhaps if Bush had any Idea of history and the people of the region he would have done as Bush 41 and Clinton did.
Unfortunately since he can't read or understand anything larger than a one syllable words he could not possibly have understood the consequences of his actions. That is what happens when the village idiot is elected president.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
i'm amazed Clinton has said this. I thought it was the patriotic duty of all former presidents to support the current incumbent particularly in times of war.

Clinton is right of course. And its true we put down the only insurgency since WW2 in Malaya. The Americans should withdraw from Iraq and leave it to us. Your presence in Iraq is now part of the problem, not the solution.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
Steve
I remember watching that interview. He did not agree with Bush's invasion of Iraq. However, since we had he said we had to stay the course. He definitely did not say we should cut and run or leave the task unfinished.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:47 am
Steve, " I thought it was the patriotic duty of all former presidents to support the current incumbent particularly in times of war." Jimmy Carter said the Iraq war was unjust and unneeded.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:57 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Steve, " I thought it was the patriotic duty of all former presidents to support the current incumbent particularly in times of war." Jimmy Carter said the Iraq war was unjust and unneeded.

Yeah well I was speaking as a Brit. I got the impression criticism of curent presidents by former ones was "not the done thing".

After all your president is also the head of State.

Our head of state is beyond criticism from a mere politician Smile
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:02 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
woiyo wrote:
He may be right.

And both did so for good reasons....because if we did go in there...we would create a quagmire like Vietnam...get a bunch of our military personnel killed and maimed...kill of a bunch of Arabs...alienate huge segments of the globe...and...

Dumbya has screwed up royally...and we are all going to pay for it while he sits fat, stupid, and safe.

The only reason it is a "quagmire" as many have said and I agree with, is LIKE Viet Nam, our soldiers are fighting a war with one hand tied behind their back.

Once you decide to fight a war, you MUST allow our military to use EVERY WEAPON in our arsenal and eliminate as quickly as possible, the enemy with no concern of collateral damage.

If you can not make that committment to your troops, DON"T FIGHT THE WAR.

Bush 1 and Clinton did not , would not , or could not make that committment.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:14 pm
woiyo wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
woiyo wrote:
He may be right.

The only reason it is a "quagmire" as many have said and I agree with, is LIKE Viet Nam, our soldiers are fighting a war with one hand tied behind their back.

Once you decide to fight a war, you MUST allow our military to use EVERY WEAPON in our arsenal and eliminate as quickly as possible, the enemy with no concern of collateral damage.

And how do you expect to do that? Do you expect we are going to kill every last Iraqi...in order to save them from despotism?

There are no battlelines here...no clearly identifiable enemy.

The first Bush and Clinton both recognized this problem...and rightly decided not to fight this kind of war...because it would take an incompetent moron to suggest we do.

Quote:
If you can not make that committment to your troops, DON"T FIGHT THE WAR.

YES!

You've got that right.

Quote:
Bush 1 and Clinton did not , would not , or could not make that committment.

Nobody with any kind of brain would!

It would take an incompetent moron to do so.

Ohhh...I see what you are getting at!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:15 pm
Steve well yes you're right it's most unusual for a former President to be critical of a sitting President's war. It just isn't done especially on foreign soil. And Carter made his remarks at an international conference in your neck of the woods. Remarkable.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm
"we had to destroy the village in order to save it"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:24 pm
"LIKE Viet Nam, our soldiers are fighting a war with one hand tied behind their back. Once you decide to fight a war, you MUST allow our military to use EVERY WEAPON in our arsenal and eliminate as quickly as possible, the enemy with no concern of collateral damage."

every weapon eh? Including wmd? That rings a bell, wasnt something about wmd said about invading iraq in the first place?

Of course dys is right. you dont just destroy the village inorder to save it, you have to nuke the entire country.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:58 pm
Clinton's telling the truth. The guerilla warfare going on now is only going to escalate.... Sorry to say, but that war had its chance of being won long ago... The moment is gone now... unless many, many more Americans are to be sacrificed there....and for WHAT!

Too much bad planning, poor management has taken place and its given energy and time to the insurgency to build itself, organize into a formidable, coordinated, funded, better armed guerilla army, fed by hatred of the United States.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
The war was lost the moment the decision was made to invade undermanned. Rumsfeld AKA little Caesar and Bush AKA Dopey are responsible for that fatal mistake.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 02:29 pm
yeah au but it wasnt fatal for THEM was it?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 02:37 pm
The conquest of Southwest Asia
By Pepe Escobar
Friday, October 07, 2005: "This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous ... And having said that, all options are on the table." - President George W Bush, Brussels, February 22
http://indiamonitor.com/news/readNews.jsp?ni=8972
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 02:37 pm
Unfortunately NO.
0 Replies