Bush says we will nevr back down.

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:39 pm
Synonymph wrote:
Yes, Brandon and woiyo, it's complicated--

I said "'Thou Shalt Not Kill.'" In quotes, you'll notice. Not my words, just a little something the neocons preach but don't practice. A little something they use when it serves their purposes.

You radical conservatives are so f*ucking stupid. Hopefully some day you'll wake up. You're being taken for fools by the Bush administration.

I have noticed that most of your posts on this topic amount to simple name calling. I had asked a very specific question based on your post. Since you hold up "Thou shall not kill" as an argument against the invasion of Iraq, I wonder whether you believe that all wars are wrong.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:48 pm
We can all agree that at one time Saddam "had" WMDs and programs. That's the reason why the UN Inspectors were looking for them to destroy - the same thing they did after Gulf War I.

"Had" is not a justification to start any war that has the potential to kill innocent people. It's a very simple international rule and moral imperative. Only immanent threat that can be proven with irrefutable evidence by many sources can justify a preemptive attack.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:55 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
We can all agree that at one time Saddam "had" WMDs and programs. That's the reason why the UN Inspectors were looking for them to destroy - the same thing they did after Gulf War I.

"Had" is not a justification to start any war that has the potential to kill innocent people. It's a very simple international rule and moral imperative. Only immanent threat that can be proven with irrefutable evidence by many sources can justify a preemptive attack.
He "had" WMD, and then promised to destroy them verifiably. He then spent years lying and hiding. In an age where one single weapon can obliterate a city and a half million lives along with it, the idea that no use of the military is permissible barring 100% proof that a dictator is still lying, is foolish. The very first time he interfered with inspectors and the UN falied to act, we would have been justified in invading.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:56 pm
Synonymph wrote:
Yes, Brandon and woiyo, it's complicated--

I said "'Thou Shalt Not Kill.'" In quotes, you'll notice. Not my words, just a little something the neocons preach but don't practice. A little something they use when it serves their purposes.

You radical conservatives are so f*ucking stupid. Hopefully some day you'll wake up. You're being taken for fools by the Bush administration.

Apparently, you are unable to answer a simple question so you automaticly place me as a radical conservative who is (vulgarity omitted) stupid?

Any bird brain can drop a silly axiom to try to justify a position they know nothing about which seems to describe you.

It may comfort you to know that I do NOT and NEVER HAVE supported GW's post Saddam handeling of this war. Some day, you may find it useful to open your little mind up to objective analysis which would give you the ability to debate a subject without lowering yourself by the use of silly phrases and vulger terms.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:57 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

It's known that Hussein had WMD and programs, the only question is how recently. If a few pieces of information turned out to be incorrect, the basic picture of a dictator with WMD and WMD development programs was not. I cannot believe that you still persist in this delusion about lacking the means to deliver the WMD to the target. Just take them apart, smuggle the pieces into the target country, and put them back together. How long am I going to have to hear this absurd nonsense abiut delivery systems. The delivery system for the antrhax attack was the US mail.

LOL.. A few pieces turned out incorrect? a few? The basic picture of a dictator with WMD did NOT exist at all. Saddam had ZERO WMD..
The basic picture of a dictator with a WMD development program did NOT exist. There has been ZERO evidence of any ongoing program.

The only delusion Brandon is your claim that a dictator with WMD and WMD programs existed at the time of the US invasion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:00 pm
"Lying and hiding" does not justify a preemptive attack. Confirm and verify is the responsibility of the international community if any country or leader does not cooperate. That's exactly what the UN Inspectors were doing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:02 pm
A little patience would have paid big dividends. We would not be engaged in this quagmire that have already cost us almost 2,000 of our men and women, and over $200 billion of our treasury. Those potential savings speak for themselves.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:03 pm
Another fact: Terrorism around the world is worse now than before our invasion.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:05 pm
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It's known that Hussein had WMD and programs, the only question is how recently. If a few pieces of information turned out to be incorrect, the basic picture of a dictator with WMD and WMD development programs was not. I cannot believe that you still persist in this delusion about lacking the means to deliver the WMD to the target. Just take them apart, smuggle the pieces into the target country, and put them back together. How long am I going to have to hear this absurd nonsense abiut delivery systems. The delivery system for the antrhax attack was the US mail.

LOL.. A few pieces turned out incorrect? a few? The basic picture of a dictator with WMD did NOT exist at all. Saddam had ZERO WMD..
The basic picture of a dictator with a WMD development program did NOT exist. There has been ZERO evidence of any ongoing program.

If you want to claim that Hussein never had either WMD or WMD programs, go ahead, but I wonder why, then, he would promise to destroy them. Indeed, it's a matter of public record that he did, and the only question is how recently.

parados wrote:
The only delusion Brandon is your claim that a dictator with WMD and WMD programs existed at the time of the US invasion.

I have never once claimed this since I joined A2K. I have only claimed that there was an unacceptable probability that he still did, that simply had to finally be resolved.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:08 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Another fact: Terrorism around the world is worse now than before our invasion.

That's short term thinking. First of all, you don't know what the situation would now be had we not invaded. Secondly, even if there is more danger now because we invaded, one cannot conclude it was a mistake. When one first engages a global enemy, indeed the danger may increase in the short term, but if you do not, that enemy may destroy you altogether.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
A little patience would have paid big dividends. We would not be engaged in this quagmire that have already cost us almost 2,000 of our men and women, and over $200 billion of our treasury. Those potential savings speak for themselves.

Bad logic. If we make a practice of not acting in this class of situations, eventually someone will actually be hiding WMD and may, for instance, destroy New York City, which will obliterate your savings.

Indeed, Iraq itself might have retained its WMD had we not kept making threatening noises about the consequences of not disarming.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
Forget about Saddam and WMD, from today...

Quote:
"We're facing a radical ideology with an unalterable objective, to enslave whole nations and intimidate the whole world,"

Quote:
"The militants believe that controlling one country will rally the Muslim masses, enabling them to overthrow all moderate governments in the region and establish a radical Islamic empire that spans from Spain to Indonesia," Bush said.

CNN

and..

Quote:
"Overall, the United States and our partners have disrupted at least 10 serious al Qaeda terrorist plots since September 11, including three al Qaeda plots to attack inside the United States. We've stopped at least five more al Qaeda efforts to case targets in the United States or infiltrate operatives into our country. Because of the steady progress, the enemy is wounded, but the enemy is still capable of global operations."

We won't be asking for any evidence because it's hard to prove a negative of something that hasn't happened.

Are you Scared yet ?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

He "had" WMD, and then promised to destroy them verifiably. He then spent years lying and hiding. In an age where one single weapon can obliterate a city and a half million lives along with it, the idea that no use of the military is permissible barring 100% proof that a dictator is still lying, is foolish. The very first time he interfered with inspectors and the UN falied to act, we would have been justified in invading.

You have just provided justification for any country to attack the US. Without 100% proof that we didn't lie to invade Iraq we have opened ourselves up to any attack by others if your standard is really a standard and not a excuse.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
freedom4free wrote:
Forget about Saddam and WMD, from today...

Quote:
"We're facing a radical ideology with an unalterable objective, to enslave whole nations and intimidate the whole world,"

Quote:
"The militants believe that controlling one country will rally the Muslim masses, enabling them to overthrow all moderate governments in the region and establish a radical Islamic empire that spans from Spain to Indonesia," Bush said.

CNN

and..

Quote:
"Overall, the United States and our partners have disrupted at least 10 serious al Qaeda terrorist plots since September 11, including three al Qaeda plots to attack inside the United States. We've stopped at least five more al Qaeda efforts to case targets in the United States or infiltrate operatives into our country. Because of the steady progress, the enemy is wounded, but the enemy is still capable of global operations."

We won't be asking for any evidence because it's hard to prove a negative of something that hasn't happened.

Are you Scared yet ?

Interesting that when your civilization is under attack by fanatics, you spend all your time hindering the people who are attempting to save you. Which of the above statements do you disagree with specifically?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

You have just provided justification for any country to attack the US. Without 100% proof that we didn't lie to invade Iraq we have opened ourselves up to any attack by others if your standard is really a standard and not a excuse.

Bad, bad, silly logic. I am not saying that anyone with less than 100% proof of any proposition is justified in invading the country in question. I am saying that if the consequences of a proposition, should it be true, are awful, such as the obliteration of cities full of people, then less than 100% proof of the proposition may be required to justify acting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:22 pm
No. The principal that directs my opinon stands on the simple premise that their life is just as important as mine. I don't want some idiot leader of a country attacking me on the premise based on "fear."

If "fear" is a justification, than we're the worst hypocrite on this planet, because we have more military equipment and WMDs than all the rest of the world put together.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
President failed to detail a strategy for the military's political and economic success.

And continues to "falsely assert" that there is a link between the war in Iraq and the September eleventh attacks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

If you want to claim that Hussein never had either WMD or WMD programs, go ahead, but I wonder why, then, he would promise to destroy them. Indeed, it's a matter of public record that he did, and the only question is how recently.
I see you don't address your statement that only a few of the pieces turned out to be incorrect. Your statement is about reconciling AFTER the invasion what he had at the time of it. He HAD WMD in 1991. We invaded in 2003. The picture was not one of a dictator WITH WMD in 2003. It was a picture of a dictator that HAD them 12 years earlier. Your claim that only a few pieces turned out to be incorrect gives the impression that you think WMD were found. ALL the claims of Saddam having WMD turned out to be incorrect.

parados wrote:

I have never once claimed this since I joined A2K. I have only claimed that there was an unacceptable probability that he still did, that simply had to finally be resolved.[/quote] Then what the heck is your claim that picture of a dictator with WMD was correct? Saddam did NOT have WMD so the claim that the picture was CORRECT and FOUND CORRECT after we invaded is nothing but delusion. The picture may have been in place before we invaded but there is NO WAY you can claim it continued to exist after we invaded.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Bad, bad, silly logic. I am not saying that anyone with less than 100% proof of any proposition is justified in invading the country in question. I am saying that if the consequences of a proposition, should it be true, are awful, such as the obliteration of cities full of people, then less than 100% proof of the proposition may be required to justify acting.

The US has weapons that can obliterate a city. The US has shown a willingness to use those weapons on a city. The US invaded a country without provocation only a few years ago.

The US doesn't have to live up to the standard you set for others. I see it isn't a standard at all. It is an attempt to excuse the behaviour and justify it after the fact. The logic isn't bad at all. Your standard is bad since you aren't really willing to apply it objectively.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:41 pm
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I see you don't address your statement that only a few of the pieces turned out to be incorrect. Your statement is about reconciling AFTER the invasion what he had at the time of it. He HAD WMD in 1991. We invaded in 2003. The picture was not one of a dictator WITH WMD in 2003. It was a picture of a dictator that HAD them 12 years earlier. Your claim that only a few pieces turned out to be incorrect gives the impression that you think WMD were found. ALL the claims of Saddam having WMD turned out to be incorrect.

He had the weapons in 1991 and promised to disarm verifiably as a portion of his surrender treaty. We then spent years and years trying to get him to do it, and finally had had enough. What was not incorrect was the fact that he had had WMD and programs to make better ones, had hidden the WMD and lied about them, and a dozen years later, we had still not succeeded in verifying his disarmament. The fact that a few pieces of intelligence turned out to be wrong in no way negates this basic situation. This alone was sufficient grounds for invasion.

parados wrote:
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I have never once claimed this since I joined A2K. I have only claimed that there was an unacceptable probability that he still did, that simply had to finally be resolved.
Then what the heck is your claim that picture of a dictator with WMD was correct? Saddam did NOT have WMD so the claim that the picture was CORRECT and FOUND CORRECT after we invaded is nothing but delusion. The picture may have been in place before we invaded but there is NO WAY you can claim it continued to exist after we invaded.

As I describe above, at the time we invaded, the basic situation presented a very reasonable probability that Hussein was simply continuing to lie, and since the stakes were so high, that was unacceptable.

It's one thing to argue with my opinion, but rather pathetic to keep misstating it after all these many threads and posts.
0 Replies