Indiana Considers Ban on Lesbian Pregancies!!!

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:42 pm
A bill is the first stage of a law.

If the woman had her way, this would be the law in Indiana.

As it turned out, it never made to the law stage, where it could do harm.

Fact is, the bill is consistent with laws which existed up until less than two years ago, and which conservatives fully supported. And which conservatives hollered against when the laws were struck down.

So she is hardly an isolated kook. There are many on the Right who share her beliefs.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
kelticwizard wrote:

Thank you for that civics lesson. Here's a biology lesson in return: A catepiller is the first stage of a butterfly, but it can't fly.

If the woman had her way, this would be the law in Indiana.

And if you had your way, who knows what sort of fell consequences would befall Righties, but you don't see me bemoaning the continued presence of kelticwizard on God's Good Earth.

I think that was my point.

Fact is, the bill is consistent with laws which existed up until less than two years ago, and which conservatives fully supported. And which conservatives hollered against when the laws were struck down.

Meaning what? This seems to be the central thrust of your argument, but I'm afraid I don't get it. I could be mistaken, but the Texas sodomy laws recently struck down by the SC were on the books for quite some time, just as they were in virtually every other state. Again, I could be wrong but I bet there are still some sodomy laws on the books in states other than Texas. The rather considerable gay and lesbian community in Texas (Yes Virginia, there are Queers in the Lone Star State) will attest that the Texas laws were almost never enforced.

That they could be is significant and it is better that they be struck from the books than simply "rarely' enforced, but it is incorrect to suggest that these laws were regularly, or even occassionally used to oppress sodomites.

Some people who believe that sodomy is a sin did find the SC ruling objectionable. I don't agree with them, but (obviously) their having their own opinions on these subjects doesn't chill me to the bone as it does you. Some conservatives objected to the ruling on the basis of States rights. If one doesn't believe that there is an explicit or even implicit right of privacy protected by the Constitution, then it is difficult to support a ruling which is based on such a right.

So she is hardly an isolated kook. There are many on the Right who share her beliefs.

And there are many on the Left who share the beliefs of left-wing kooks.

Why are you so afraid of the Right? I suspect my disagreement with left-wing dogma is every bit as intense as your disagreement with right-wing dogma, but I hardly fear the Left in this country. They may evoke in me anger, frustration, and even amusement, but never fear. And please don't try and tell me that the Left is incapable of all sorts of nasty deeds you find to be common fare for the Right, for if you do I will be forced to evoke the names of Lenin, Stalin, Mao-tse-dung, Pol Pot, and Mugawbi.

I know this may be unfair, but I always return to the belief that Liberals (which are not necessarily synonomous with hard core Leftists) are a hoplessly romantic lot who feel the need to cast themselves as heroic defenders of mankind.

In my more cynical moments I tend to believe they are a sanctimonious lot who crave a feeling of superiority. I'm trying to quell such moments though.

0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:22 am
kelticwizard wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Thank you for that civics lesson. Here's a biology lesson in return: A catepiller is the first stage of a butterfly, but it can't fly.
[/color] Oh, so if there was a bill introduced in your state, or any state, which proposed doing something you strongly opposed, you wouldn't even deal with the issue until AFTER it became law? Because that is where your "argument", such as it is, leads.

kelticwizard wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And MY point was made above. You don't sit back and watch the process progress from bill to law before you raise your voice in protest. This concept is not new. You are only pretending it is.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:29 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I could be mistaken, but the Texas sodomy laws recently struck down by the SC were on the books for quite some time, just as they were in virtually every other state. Again, I could be wrong but I bet there are still some sodomy laws on the books in states other than Texas.....the Texas laws were almost never enforced.
[/color]
I don't see any significance in the fact that some other states besdes Texas had anti-sodomy laws. All that means is that the Right was able to keep them on the books in states other than Texas. I don't see how your argument is supported at all by this-I nefver said all conservatives live in Texas.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
.... incorrect to suggest that these laws were regularly, or even occassionally used to oppress sodomites.
There are any number of old laws that might be objectionable or ridiculous, but which are there, never enforced, because people forgot about them. That is not the case with the Texas sodomy law. Attempts to get it off the books were shot down, and the state fought to keep it on the books in earlier fights with the Supreme Court.. The lawmakers in Texas in were fully aware that those laws were still on the books, and they took pains to keep them there.

Moreover, those laws WERE enforced within the lifetime of most people. About fifteen years ago I remember reading an article by a journalist who was covering police in Texas in the late sixties. He saw them bug an apartment of a homosexual teacher to listen in on the sex parties with other teachers. This was a police investigation, and the purpose was to arrest these teachers. How much longer the practice went on I don't know, but that is not so long ago.

Why would lawmakers keep laws that weren't enforced for a decade or two on the books? Rather obvious. A significant percentage of the lawmakers are just waiting for a change in the political wind to start enforcing them again. If the laws are taken off, getting them back on might take some effort. If the laws are kept on, all it would take would be a couple of sheriffs to decide to start enforcing the laws again. That's why.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Some people who believe that sodomy is a sin did find the SC ruling objectionable
[/color] Or, put another way, virtually everyone who opposed the Supreme Court ruling did so because they thought sodomy was a sin.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Some conservatives objected to the ruling on the basis of States rights.
Want to bet the correlation of those who think sodomy is a sin and therefore should be made illegal, and those who oppose the Supreme Court ruling on states rights grounds is near 100%?

The "states rights" thing is just an excuse. I doubt very seriously there are many people who think, "I don't think homosexuality is sinful, but I truly oppose the Supreme Court striking down the anti-sodomy laws because of states rights grounds." Face it-the sinful thing doesn't play as far as they would like, so they throw in the states rights angle.

kelticwizard wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And there are many on the Left who share the beliefs of left-wing kooks.
[/color] So you freely admit that there are many on the Right who share her beliefs. Good. Then you cannot characterize her as just a kook, for you admit she represents a fair percentage of conservatives. Which is my point.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And please don't try and tell me that the Left is incapable of all sorts of nasty deeds you find to be common fare for the Right, for if you do I will be forced to evoke the names of Lenin, Stalin, Mao-tse-dung, Pol Pot, and Mugawbi.
[/color] Funny, I don't see the name of a single American on that list you made. This thread is about an American lawmaker, elected to an American state legislature, who put forth a bill which would prevent lesbians from in vitro fertilization. Please keep your off topic observations about Russians, Chinese, Cambodians and Zimbabweans, none of whom had any stances on in vitro fertilization, to a thread where they might be more appropriate. Thank you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:06 am
kelticwizard wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[/color] Oh, so if there was a bill introduced in your state, or any state, which proposed doing something you strongly opposed, you wouldn't even deal with the issue until AFTER it became law? Because that is where your "argument", such as it is, leads.

A proposed bill that cannot survive the length of an A2K thread is not harmful If you wish to oppose such a bill, be my guest, however I fail to see how demonizing its sponsor in an internet forum effectively opposes it. Before you could even possibly whip up opposition to this bill, it was abandoned.

kelticwizard wrote:

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And MY point was made above. You don't sit back and watch the process progress from bill to law before you raise your voice in protest. This concept is not new. You are only pretending it is.

I suppose you're right KW. You posting comments on this bill was what killed it. Good for you!
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:31 am
The fact that this absurd proposal was put in the form of legislation is outrageous enough.

Who knows how far the bill would have gotten if bloggers like myself (and Air America) hadn't exposed it the light of day? Thank God for AA and the internet.

Quote:
I suppose you're right KW. You posting comments on this bill was what killed it. Good for you!

Keltic's comments and thousands of others are what killed this bill. It would have died eventually anyway even if it was passed. But the outrage was so vociferous that the bill was killed in a day or two after the national public heard about it.

BTW I don't remember any of the cable channels reporting on this, correct me if I am wrong. Seems like even Bill O'REilly would jump on this one as the outrageous item of the day.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:10 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
A proposed bill that cannot survive the length of an A2K thread is not harmful If you wish to oppose such a bill, be my guest, however I fail to see how demonizing its sponsor in an internet forum effectively opposes it. Before you could even possibly whip up opposition to this bill, it was abandoned...... I suppose you're right KW. You posting comments on this bill was what killed it. Good for you!

Finn, a few basic things about Able2Know seem to have escaped you.

This is a discussion forum. That is to say, it's entire purpose is for people to discuss things. As this forum has a Politics section, the entire purpose of this section is discuss political things.

This is what I am doing. Discussing a political issue. I have no need to justify my discussion of this political issue in the Politics section of this discussion board. I would be happy to justify my position for or against the issue, but I should not have any need to justify posting on this political issue here at all, either to you or to anyone else.

In the future, please direct your comments to the pro's and con's of any political issue discussed here, instead of questioning the validity of taking a position for or against it in this forum. This forum was started specifically to discuss such things. Thank you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:20 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
A proposed bill that cannot survive the length of an A2K thread is not harmful If you wish to oppose such a bill, be my guest, however I fail to see how demonizing its sponsor in an internet forum effectively opposes it. Before you could even possibly whip up opposition to this bill, it was abandoned...... I suppose you're right KW. You posting comments on this bill was what killed it. Good for you!

Finn, a few basic things about Able2Know seem to have escaped you.

This is a discussion forum. That is to say, it's entire purpose is for people to discuss things. As this forum has a Politics section, the entire purpose of this section is discuss political things.

This is what I am doing. Discussing a political issue. I have no need to justify my discussion of this political issue in the Politics section of this discussion board. I would be happy to justify my position for or against the issue, but I should not have any need to justify posting on this political issue here at all, either to you or to anyone else.

In the future, please direct your comments to the pro's and con's of any political issue discussed here, instead of questioning the validity of taking a position for or against it in this forum. This forum was started specifically to discuss such things. Thank you.

Harrrumphh!!
0 Replies