"Chicago!"

mac11

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:52 am
She can sing and dance, Booman. It seems she started out working in musicals in England.

Link to Catherine Zeta-Jones' IMDb biography

So it's official, Booman's in love! Very Happy
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:16 am
macsm<

Booman's in Love sounds like the title of a wonderful musical.

(Apologies to Booman.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:22 am
Or we could just substitute Booman in the song "Chuck E.'s In Love". It fits!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:14 am
Let's throw up a stage and put on a show Idea Exclamation

Let's cast Lightwizard as Booman Exclamation Exclamation
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:57 am
I doubt that I'm good enough as an actor to portray Booman -- there are a few outstanding differences! I'd give the wry, tongue-in-cheek humor and at least come close (always suspected he had it stapled permanently to his cheek)!

Zeta-Jones kicks up her heels in bright, Ziegfieldesque choreography that's as much athletic as aesthetic. I thought she was going to leap off the landing in the one dance sequence instead of sliding down the fire pole! The opening show stopper "All That Jazz" is a dazzler and I was hoping they'd go off the boards and repeat it at the end but the Zeta-Jones/Zellwegger duo in the finale still gets the blood rushing to one's head. There were several times when I could feel the entire theater lift up and, like I said before, how many films have you seen where the audience applauds -- during some of the comedic twists in the plot and the show stopping numbers?

John C. Reilly does a Pagliacci emulation in "The Cellophane Man,"
another of Kander and Ebb's deliciously subtle methaphors that also enriched "Cabaret."

Rob Murrow should be lauded for many effulgent cinematic techniques. The Slate reviewer was dismayed at the garish lighting of the circus sequence but that's precisely what the director was trying to convey -- the circus in the courtroom with the brash attorney clashing with the solemnity of the milieu.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 04:33 pm
You guys are killing me! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't apologize, WH, I've always imagined myself in a musical. Cool
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
Lightwizard,
...You ready to work on that time step? Razz
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:31 pm
I could give you the ole soft shoe.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:18 pm
Well, Booman, I have appeared in several musicals around town. Those were in my younger days, before arthritis left me limping. Were I to continue my musical performances today, the role would have to be that of a character seated in a wheelchair. But in my day . . .

Anyway, tomorrow's the day I see the movie Chicago. I have seen the stage play, but Mr. Soft Shoe Lightwizard has got me very excited about this film. I have already purchased the ticket! So, at 4:50 p.m.(CST) tomorrow, I'll be in the Rave 14 movie theatre watching Chicago. Booman, I know you're jealous. Wish you were here to go with me Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 09:56 pm
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Who me envious?

BTW, In the wheelchair you could play me in my twilight. Smile (Or maybe this is the beginning of my second half. :wink: )
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 11:36 pm
Booman<

Sorry, sir, but I am not old enough to play you in "twilight."

Let's just say we're both lucky to be around for another play (of any genre).

I'll let you know about Chicago.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 12:13 pm
I;ve loved following this thread and can hardly wait to see Chicago, but now the thread is becoming just as interesting as a film with the subplot of Booman's love affair with Catherine Zeta Jones.

Will Booman finally connect with Catherine? Can he compete with Michael Douglas? I plan to stay tuned.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:23 pm
...Y'all got me dreamin'. If I was to meet Michael Douglas, he'd wonder, "why is this strange man glaring at me?"
Here's something interesting; My Honey-poo...er...Ms.Jones, Embarrassed was an understudy, in "A Chorus Line", in her country, and became the lead, when things played out in real life, just like the story! That must have been eerie. Shocked
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 03:54 pm
And, further coincidence, Michael Douglas played Zach, the cliché of a controlling director, in the film version of A Chorus Line!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:40 am
Oh, the musical that marked the final death knell on the Broadway musical adaptation. Attenborough, the director, is better at making dinosaurs than musicals.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 03:58 pm
Ahh, but it seems that stories of the "final death knell", of the Broadway musical adaption, have been greatly exagerated. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:06 pm
It's like a resurrection! And what a comeback -- easily one of the best ten adaptations and look at the competition!

Got the videotape of "Roxie Hart" with Ginger Rogers as Roxie and Adolph Monjou as Billy Flynn, 1942. Black-and-white put it was fun watching how the filmmakers put their mark on the adaptation of the play.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:11 pm
Booman calls her honey poo--that's just the sweetest thing ever! You've got Michael beat hands down.
Wm Henry, did you see Chicago? Tell all.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:17 pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 12:38 am
Diane<

I have seen Chicago on Saturday. Tonight (Sunday) I am finally able to get back online following the Internet infection.

Since it's too late in the day for me to be too coherent (I had to work today), let me reserve further comments about Chicago until later, please.

I will say that I have not been too coherent since viewing Chicago. The entire audience in the theatre, including me, burst into loud applause at Chicago's finale. It is a special film that causes such a ruckus, and Chicago, indeed, is especially special.[/i]
0 Replies