"Chicago!"

kayla

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 05:22 am
To quote Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally," "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Thanks so much LW for the link to the trailer. I can't wait to see "Chicago." I felt the same way when "Cabaret " came out. My only disappointment with Moulin Rouge was my own stupidity in not seeing it on the big screen. I teach classes in the creative arts to adults with developmental disabilities and when I showed them MR they were mesmerized. I agree with you that MR was revolutionary and it got people back into musicals. I hope Chicago keeps the ball rolling so that Hollywood will bankroll more. One of the joys of teaching the music class is being able to go back and watch some of the greats. We're studying Carousel right now. It's fun to go through the movie and point out the scenes that were done on location and the ones on set. Most of the class (30 some) have never seen the film before. Of course the theme, not fitting in, really means something to them. They're making me teach them "You'll Never Walk Alone" in singing class. Very interesting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:01 pm
Saw the film this afternoon. Very impressive. One of the few musical adaptations on film that brought a lot of the visceral excitement of going to a live Broadway musical to the screen. The added pleasure of seeing some very beguiling acting performances along with the music and that's considering that there isn't a log of dialogue. The film drew applause from the audience at two different scenes.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:39 pm
I'm glad you finally got to see this one LW. Did you stay for the credits? Some of the last credits say something like
"Richard Gere performed his own singing and dancing.
Renee Zellweger performed her own singing and dancing.
Catherine Zeta-Jones performed her own singing and dancing."

I'm certain I've never seen anything like that in credits before.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 11:49 am
The cutting in of the tap dancing of Gere with his "tap dancing" in court was ingenious and very funny. I movie worth seeing again and again.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 11:51 am
Gere is not the greatest tap dancer to wear shoe leather!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 12:07 pm
No and "Chicago" is not a vehicle that requires dancing a la Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire. Kelly may have been able to handle the part with aplomb but we no longer have a Gene Kelly on the silver screen. The actors who have portrayed the part on stage were not top notch hoofers, either.

I took my Mom to the flick and had dinner afterwards. It came up that I believe they could take that same cast and make "City of Angels" with Gere taking the part of the screenwriter/film noir detective. Whether his vocal prowess could handle the show stopper "You're Nothing Without Me" would remain to be seen, however.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 01:43 pm
Just ordered the 1947 movie "Roxie Hart" with Ginger Rodgers, one of the two precusors to the stage musical and film. It's only on VHS and there's some copies at $16.00 at Amazon right now. The 1927 silent "Chicago" I believe is lost and stars actors I've never heard of. This is based on a true story although Velma is more of a bit player in it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 09:46 pm
The PBS special "Chicago" is running it's last part tonight. It's a timely documentary and extremely well done, and without Ken Burns at the helm! The history of Chicago is the history of capitalism in this country, almost a model for the success of capitalism. It also reveals some of the corruption inherant in the system. It makes Roxie Hart's story in the musical seem even more real. Tonight will be examining that era.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 11:24 am
I thought CHICAGO was terrific. I had really hated MOULIN ROUGE for its MTV cutting and its appropriation of rock songs. But CHICAGO is a gem. Let's hope it brings back musicals to Hollywood.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 11:25 am
My thoughts exactly, larry. I sat there watching it and thinking - musicals are back!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:03 pm
Lightwizard<

Chicago will be in general release on Feb. 7. I can't wait to see it as musicals are a favorite film genre.

Meanwhile, the online magazine, slate, recently posted a provocative review of the film written by David Edelstein. Those who want to read it, go to http://slate.msn.com/id/2076099
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:29 pm
Did you like Moulin Rouge? I've had the dvd but still haven't watched it. And did you see the Indian musical Lagaan? I enjoyed it very much.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 12:40 pm
LarryBS<

I have seen neither Moulin Rouge nor Lagaan. Thanks, howver, for the thumbs up!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:30 pm
"Moulin Rouge" is frenetic with a kind of bizarre theatricality that exactly what the live shows at "Moulin Rouge" are like -- kind of music video on stage. I think that Luhrman realized that music video production design didn't just come out of nowhere. The Green Fairy (from the Absinthe label) sequence is one of the best fantasy sequences in any film I can remember -- the story is a love triangle right out of old Hollywood melodramas complete with a Svengali personage. It gives some people a headache as everything reels (sic) around like one is drugged and/or drunk. Then, I wonder what kind of condition everyone was in when at the Moulin Rouge. Hmmm.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 02:06 pm
Happy to see that the split screen effect from "The Thomas Crown Affair" is still being copied at almost every opportunity.
The trailer uses it but will the film?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 05:42 pm
Thanks lightwizard - I have the habit of buying dvd's in bunches and sometimes it takes awhile to get to them all. Maybe I'll dig out Moulin and watch it.

This thread reminds me of another dvd I have that I haven't watched - that is Hedwig and the Angry Inch (title?) - anyone here seen it? I like films that are a little (or a lot) off the beaten path.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:46 pm
I saw that one, Larry. Hedwig is way off the path! But interesting...
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:58 pm
The reviews of Hedwig reminded me of the lightweight and very enjoyable The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and Velvet Goldmine, which was intense but satisfying, as I recall.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:16 am
Lightwizard<

An old-fashioned "sneak preview" of Chicago is to appear on several screens in my area this weekend. I am planning to see it (if I can get a ticket) and will post my comments here if I do.

These "preview" showings were just announced in today's local newspaper. We are have sub-zero wind chills here, so I'm hoping the crowds at the theatres will be slim.

Lightwizard, I really appreciate your comments on Moulin Rouge. I definitely plan to catch it. Surely it is on DVD by now.

I have noticed that some of the promotional stills from Chicago are reminiscent of those from the film version of Cabaret which was made eons ago. I am expecting Chicago to be better than Cabaret. Will my expectations be met?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 12:36 am
I am so anxious, about this movie. Just from the trailer, it seems that Zeta-Jones not only hits the notes, but does it with soul. It was a quick sound bite , but my ear usually doesn't fail me. I love looking at that woman, if she can sing and dance, like I think....I'm in lu-uv! Cool
0 Replies