"Chicago!"

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:41 am
Just noticed this thread and want to jump in: I enjoyed the messages in both the play and movie of "Hair"; enjoyed the message in "Chicago"; but "West Side Story" - it doesn't hold up some 40 years later, but the music is still wonderful. I am especially amused at my own sensibilities, however, that upon viewing it, rather than being able to see it for the re-interpretation of "Romeo and Juliet" that it was intended, I went straight to identifying with the minority gang, the Sharks. Of course, the most moving line (". . . you all killed him. Not with knives or guns, but with hate. Well, now I can kill. Because now I HAVE HATE!" did come from 'Juliet' ie Maria), but I was actually crying more when Bernardo was killed by the white boy. Probably just way too much information for you, but I feel better now Laughing .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 12:46 pm
That's a unique analysis and I agree the film version of "West Side Story" seems dated. Let's wait for the revival coming to Broadway in the next few seasons! I had seen the original stage production and it is a more powerful statement and less simplistic than the film. They glamorized the film giving it a glossy, manufactured look. Film directors have a perchance for doing this -- I can't imagine what they'd do to "Rent."

If you've read the entire thread, you'll get even more interested in the history of Chicago, especially the Twenties. The PBS Special presented a history of the city from its inception to the World's Fair. Full of nefarious characters (including the infamous mayor), the city lives up to its reputation in the musical. Of course, Ebb and Kander wanted to to for Chicago what they did for Berlin in "Cabaret." I think they succeeded far more brilliantly than first met the eye during its first run. The film will engrave it in the public memory far beyond our lives!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:20 pm
West Side Story, I do agree, is a movie that doesn't have a ring of truth today. The gang members are not as mean as today's seem to be, and the young women of today seem a bit more worldly.

I do remember seeing West Side Story upon its first run. I was an impressionable teenager who was overwhelmed by the powerful music and lyrics, as well as the use of color. The entire cast was wonderful, but the singing voice of Maria's (Natalie Wood) being dubbed in was so obvious that the scenes in which she sang fell apart for me. Irritating!

The film had a smattering of what life in New York City was like, but only hinted at the reality. I would hope any updated version would have a more realistic depiction of modern Manhattan.

Listening to the soundtrack of West Side Story is something I do on many occasions. It remains a powerful recording.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:01 am
I agree about the soundtrack, wh3. It's glorious!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 03:09 pm
I prefer the original Broadway cast with Larry Kert, Carol Lawrence and Chita Rivera (the only one that made it into the film version).

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000056TB2.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

I believe Marnie Nixon dubbed for Natalie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 03:15 pm
The thread that won't die! I've featured it again and added a poll.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The thread that won't die! I've featured it again and added a poll.

All praise be to Lightwizard . . . ohhhmmmmm . . . (or whatever is politically correct these days)

Perhaps we could ask the 'powers that be' to turn this into a West Side Story thread at the appropriate cut-off point and then we'll discuss it forever. Sounds good to me . . .

Also, I prefer 2 out of 3 of the Broadway cast (just LOVE that Rita Moreno, sorry!) and definitely prefer the Broadway CD to the movie CD in a heartbeat!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:45 pm
Sweet Cee,
...That's the beauty of this forum. You are one of the "Powers that be". Go ahead and start the thread a'ready. Smile
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:31 am
Chita Rivera was among the original cast of the stage version of Chicago.

She also had a "split-second" cameo role in the film version.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:09 am
WH caught that Chita Rivera had the Rita Moreno part on Broadway but only a brief part in the film. Rivera's a superior dancer, of course, but Moreno's acting is what fused her into out memory. I don't want to mislead because as a film and considering the time of release, "West Side Story" is a classic. Would it be "reinterpreted" today? It's a story of the Fifties in New York and although I had reservations about some of the lighting specifically (some of the sets and lighting tended to overpower the characters on screen), I don't see a remake in the wind. It is scheduled for a revival on Broadway. I second Booman's encouraging remarks about starting a thread about this Acadamy Award film, especially a discussion of Leonard Bernstein and his music which, after all, spawned one of our greatest composers in musical theater, Stephen Sondheim.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:18 am
To be fair, Tucker Smith who didn't even make it into the credits but was one of the lead dancers in the Jets (!) was in the L.A. stage production of "West Side Story." And not enough credit is given to Jerome Robbins who really directed the film (the dance sequences were as compelling as the singing which hardly requires much direction). I was never impressed by Robert Wise's direction in anything except "The Haunting" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still." He was just on the edge of being ponderous with his interpretation of the intimate scenes in WSS.

There, sweetcomplications, this has already developed into a thread on WSS and I could have it split off or, easier done, you can start a discussion and I'll move the comments so far over there!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
...And the No. 1 reason, there probably won't be a reinterpretation of WSS:

It's already one of a thousand reinterpretations of "Romeo And Juliet"! You won't often see,a reinterpretation of a reinterpretation. Anyway , that's my 2 Cents worth.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:50 pm
truth
What's the name of the actor who played the Romeo character (the one who sang "Maria" to Natalie Wood)?. As I recall, he was so aghast at how he came off in the film that he quit the business. Is that true?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:51 pm
His name is Richard Beymer. Looks like he's still working...

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Beymer,+Richard
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
truth
Thanks MacII. Interesting info. I'm glad he's making his own films, shows artistic commitment to his craft.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:03 pm
"Maria",..... One of those songs, Johnny Mathis just took over. After I heard his version, it was like it was his song.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:16 pm
The story like in most musicals is for the exposition of the singing and dancing, although the libretto of WSS is remarkably profound. Mathis also did a turn on "Somewhere" that is only rivaled by Streisand on her Broadway album.

The story is "Chicago" is, after all, borrowed as well as "Cabaret." There are original stories in musicals, the most recent being "Urinetown."
None of the Bernstein musicals are original -- they're all adaptations of existing stories. One should go back and read "The Berlin Stories" to really appreciate "Cabaret." I don't know of reading the play "Chicago" was based on would be of much use -- it's really kind of frivolous materials and more has been made about the social commentary content than is actually there.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:20 pm
BTW, the musical would have to be changed to "East Side Story?"
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:49 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I was never impressed by Robert Wise's direction in anything except "The Haunting" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Lightwizard<

Robert Wise also directed The Sound of Music. Surely you didn't intend to leave that film off your list Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:53 pm
Booman, are you aware of "Romeo and Juliet Must Die"? I believe new interpretaions of WSS will go on and on, in new formats!
0 Replies