Talkin about your girl's looks

stuh505

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:58 pm
It seems that people in relationships are always supposed to compliment their mates looks etc, in many situations. I've been with girls before where I couldn't help but do this.

Now I've been seeing a girl very seriously for a while. I compliment her, I say "that looks good on you," "you look cute today," etc...but I haven't said, "you're so beautiful..."

Now, don't get me wrong...there's nothing wrong with her looks, she is cute, but she's not "beautiful"...most women aren't. But looks are not so important to me, everything that is important to me she has, and her looks are good enough that there is still an attraction.

I'm a very honest person, so I'm not sure how I would handle the situation if she happened to ask how attractive I thought she was. I wouldn't want to say anything that might make her feel insecure.

Is this a situation where it's best to exaggerate how good she looks? Have other people ever been in this situation before? How did you handle it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 832 • Replies: 9
No top replies

flushd

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:15 pm
Hmm.
Well, I am one of those terminally 'cute' girls. I hear 'you're cute' all the time, but it's very rare that I will hear 'you're soo beautiful'. That's all good, but when it comes to someone that I am in love with and want to be with for a long time: well, that's the one person I really hope does find me beautiful.
Every guy on the earth could find me weird-looking, but from my sweetie I would want to know that he found me beautiful. It would hurt if I knew I was with someone who thought otherwise. Just being honest.

With all the nice things you are saying about your girl, I'm sure there would be a way of avoiding hurting her self-esteem if she asked a question point-blank.

I was once with a guy I loved with all my heart, who wasn't exactly model material. But he was a gorgeous person - and I did find him gorgeous. He had the most amazing eyes - so I focused on complimenting on what I did find so hot. Does that make sense?!

If she asks, look her right in the eye and summon all the things about her that drive you wild/that you love and say : You are beautiful.
You don't have to lie.

That's just my 2 cents. Sorry if it's not all that helpful.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:21 pm
You're right, there is enough about her that I wouldn't have to lie. Thank you
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:25 am
Lie.She may not be beautiful in appearance but you want her to feel good dont you and if you love her in many other ways, you telling her that she is beautiful is going to make her feel good.
If she asks you if she is beautiful you cant hesitate nd say 'well I wouldnt say beautiful, but your kinda pretty'.I think that would crush her.I think it would crush anyone.If she is asking then she obviously needs some kind of reassurance.
0 Replies

LoveMyFamily

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 09:55 pm
stuh.. I would agree with flushd. I do not like my husband lying to me. May it be about anything.. my looks, my appearance, my dress sense, the way I cook, the way I talk. I donot ever ask him.. honey do you find me beautiful?. I know he finds me attractive. I appreciate when he is open and honest.

So it all depends upon the person. Is she capable of handling truth. More often than not, she will be crushed if you tell her that you do not find her beautiful. But as flushd said... you do not have to lie to her either. Just find out her best things and compliment.

stuh.. I do not mean to hijack your thread but I need to get this clear:

I still have a tough time with all these words.. Cute, Hot, Pretty, Beautiful, Attractive. To me they all mean the same.. the woman is desirable. Can someone please explain how one is different from the other. For example.. Audrey Heburn, Marylin Monroe, Julia Roberts, Salma Hayek, Jeniffer Lopez.. who falls in which category?

Please don't think I landed straight from the Mars Smile I need to get the definition clear to make sure I compliment the right attributes Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:07 pm
A lover wrote me poetry when I was twenty, light but not so light daily sort of poetry, who knew I should paste that all down re lifetime memory?

Looks? His eyes, not the color, the look.

No, I don't pine for him.

I pine for all of us,

though pine is the wrong word.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:27 pm
Quote:
Cute, Hot, Pretty, Beautiful, Attractive. To me they all mean the same.. the woman is desirable. Can someone please explain how one is different from the other. For example.. Audrey Heburn, Marylin Monroe, Julia Roberts, Salma Hayek, Jeniffer Lopez.. who falls in which category?

Fun Smile

Audrey hepburn -> cute
Marilyn Monroe -> too old fashioned for me to judge
julia roberts -> ugly
salma hayek -> hot
jennifer lopez -> hot
catherine zeta jones -> beautiful
natalie portman -> cute
katie holmes -> cute

To me the words mean this:

Cute = jovial, fun, tease, flushed puffy cheeks, short chin-length hair

Beautiful = mature, ideal perfectly proportioned features, long hair with body

Hot = similar to beautiful, but with direct sexual appeal...perhaps giving a lustful stare, or wearing revealing clothing
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:29 pm
Beauty is what you make of it. Most men would not consider my wife even attractive or pretty. To me, she is beautiful. From her crooked nose thats been broken twice from horsing accidents, to the fact that she has no lips:). Its the package that makes a person sexy. I don't consider myself remotely attractive. For my wife, she said it was all how I walked when she first met me.
If your all about looks you should become an art critic.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:37 pm
well, stuh, I can tell you that my boyfriend always says I'm pretty but has never said I'm beautiful, and never will. And believe me, I notice. Very Happy He says there's no difference, but there is. And just like flushd said, your boyfriend/husband/whatever is the one person you want to find you beautiful, not just pretty or cute. So please, just follow flushd's advice, focus on the best things, look her in the eye and say "beautiful." I bet you anything, she'll notice if you always just say "cute." :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:09 am
Re: Talkin about your girl's looks
stuh505 wrote:
everything that is important to me she has

I think says it all....

If she has everything that's important to you, than she is beautiful.

Tell her she's beautiful....it's not a lie.

Every person who is loved has beauty.
0 Replies