Travelling in Europe - Meals and Transportation

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:13 pm
I was there at the end of April of this year and a few days in May.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:58 pm
a safety suggestion : carry your passport and "the big money" in a "necksafe" . just keep some small bills and change in a zippered pocket.
when we were in berlin two years ago mrs h had her wallet lifted out of her zippered purse that she carried in front of her(happened on a city bus) - luckily i had the passports and the big money in a necksafe. hbg
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
bookmark - I need to know this! I am planning a similar trip in the near future.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:59 pm
As a matter of fact, a neck safe is the best bet no matter where you visit. Also make copies of your passport as a backup and in case somebody steals yours.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:30 pm
or in case it is at the hotel desk when you get arrested when you're out shopping..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:02 pm
we always travel with several copies of passports, credit card number etc. etc.
i guess i'm like the guy who wears his pants with belt and suspender !
when mrs h's credit card was stolen it was sure handy to have the number to have the card access blocked. walked into the nearest police station and very helpfull police put us into contact with matercard immediately (but they told us that the pickpockets hardly ever use the credit cards, they just take the money and throw the other stuff away). hbg
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:27 pm
I'm heading off to Amsterdam then Austria in November, I checked out the train and it was about the same price as a flight. After further research we found a round trip ticket was cheaper than a one way.

Not sure if this is the general rule but check all your options.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:56 pm
yeah I also make copies of important documents , I leave a set at home with my parents as well (just in case)....not a silly idea.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:07 pm
yep - it's worth checking return Eurostar prices - they're often cheaper than one-way. The pricing is quite convoluted.

Listening here - this year's trip got cancelled, so, next year.....or the year after.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:11 pm
"Convoluted" is an understatement. You may find a train fare cheaper buying a round trip over a one way. Always check with the train station ticket office.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:36 pm
round trips always make more sense, whether or not they fit with our plans. I ve never seen one way be less than anything...

I do agree that one can get along on fairly little, I have, while others were talking about great expense in the same cities, but the trick is there are sometime expenses that really take it out of you, and are sometimes a surprise.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I was there at the end of April of this year and a few days in May.

How was the weather at that time??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
This year it was fairly good, a bit of rain - a lot of pics/links to threads with more oics are on the London gathering thread.

I've been to London in April/June a couple of times: it's similar to elsewhere in Europe: you might get lot of rain (as we had in Bad Waldliesborn this year Embarrassed ) or sunshine or both ...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:45 pm
The last 5 years, when we went to Europe in Mid June, I've had no rain at all, more on the contrary - it was almost unbearable
hot.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 04:05 pm
travelling in europe
kiwichick : the...BBC - WORLD WEATHER MAP...might help you in trying to get a handle on the weather worldwide.
btw. a collapsible umbrella will almost always come in handy - even if you are backpacking. hbg
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 04:39 pm
Thanks Hamburger..... Smile
I am just being lazy I should investigate on the net more, but its easier to ask....I was in England/Ireland Oct-Nov which was getting cold, but this time round I am going April/May and also adding Europe and going as far down as Mykonos, so Im trying to see what I need to cart round with me clothes wise.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:29 pm
The weather was just fine; just a little rain.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:22 am
Wel, you really could trust those of us who live here all the time Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:28 am
KiwiChic, What I usually do when I travel is to check out the average weather for the month including precipitation, and pack accordingly. It's always more flexible if you pack to wear your clothes in layers rather than bringing all bulk clothing. If is's going to be a little on the cool side, just bring a light windbreaker. If you anticipate anything colder, bring a heavy jacket. I usually take my leather jacket with some heavy shirts. Think layering and you'll be fine. I now use those plastic bags that can be vacuumed (or press out the air) to save luggage space. I took only my rollon on my last trip to Bali and Singapore, and had clothes I didn't even wear. One last suggestion: bring some clothes you can throw out - especially those underwear that's worn out. You'll have space for that souvenir....
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:40 pm
LOL 'worn out underwear'.....dont get many holes in a G-String! Laughing
but I understand what you mean, I wore my Doc Marten boots from NZ to England, bought a new pair in London and threw my old ones in the Bin!

Has anyone here flown with 'Emirates'?
0 Replies