1
   

Civil War in District of Columbia

 
 
Equus
 
Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:39 pm
I was just looking at a National Geographic Society map from a year or two ago marking battle sites of the American Civil War. I noticed there were a couple of minor battle sites marked within the District of Columbia. I was surprised to see them, as I thought the Confederate Army never got that close to Washington. And yes, this is the modern District of Columbia borders, all north of the Potomac.

Can someone enlighten me as to these small battles within the D of C?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 624 • Replies: 7
No top replies

 
Merry Andrew
 
  1  
Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:08 pm
Setanta probably can.

I recommend Reveille in Washington 1860-1865 by Margaret Leech [1941], a day-by-day account of life in the city during the war.
0 Replies
 
Acquiunk
 
  1  
Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:29 pm
In August 1864 the Confederate Army of the Shenandoah under General Early got within several miles of downtown Washington before it was repulsed. That was the last major offensive of the Confederate army in the east and nearly the last major offensive of any Confederate Army.
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:59 am
Wasn't here a battle near Washington for which the citizens of the capital went out to watch, complete with picnic lunches?

Both the Union Army and the spectators were routed.
0 Replies
 
Acquiunk
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:47 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Wasn't here a battle near Washington for which the citizens of the capital went out to watch, complete with picnic lunches?

Both the Union Army and the spectators were routed.


That was the first Bull Run, July 1861, by late 1864 the war had become very mundane and was no longer a spectator sport.
0 Replies
 
Equus
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:31 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:
Wasn't here a battle near Washington for which the citizens of the capital went out to watch, complete with picnic lunches?

Both the Union Army and the spectators were routed.


That was the first Bull Run, July 1861, by late 1864 the war had become very mundane and was no longer a spectator sport.


Or first Manassas to the Confederacy. The picnickers expected to see the rebels quickly routed, and instead had to flee the Confederate advance.

I am told that this incident provided the springboard to success for George Custer. A lesser officer at the time, his cavalry unit helped protect fleeing civilians. Eventually he became General.
0 Replies
 
Equus
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:39 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
In August 1864 the Confederate Army of the Shenandoah under General Early got within several miles of downtown Washington before it was repulsed. That was the last major offensive of the Confederate army in the east and nearly the last major offensive of any Confederate Army.



Thanks.

I found this web site: http://www.americancivilwar.com/statepic/dc/dc001.html

I had heard trivia long ago that President Lincoln was the only sitting US President to be exposed to wartime enemy gunfire. This was the battle! I never realized the rebels had come so close! How might history have been changed if Early had been victorious?

More trivia: General Lew Wallace, mentioned in this battle, was later the author of the novel "Ben Hur."
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:11 pm
The First Battle of Bull Run could be a terrific setting for A What If/Time Travel Potboiler.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, EVERYONE! - Discussion by OmSigDAVID
WIND AND WATER - Discussion by Setanta
Who ordered the construction of the Berlin Wall? - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
True version of Vlad Dracula, 15'th century - Discussion by gungasnake
ONE SMALL STEP . . . - Discussion by Setanta
History of Gun Control - Discussion by gungasnake
Where did our notion of a 'scholar' come from? - Discussion by TuringEquivalent
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Civil War in District of Columbia
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/02/2021 at 02:00:29