Miers to be SC nominee?

Bodo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:44 pm
Do we have any ideas who's going to be the new nominee?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:47 pm
Bodo
Bodo wrote:

Barney Bush.

Welcome to A2K; glad to have you here.

BBB
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
Re: Bodo
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bodo wrote:

Barney Bush.

Welcome to A2K; glad to have you here.

BBB

LOL!

Thanks, glad to be on board. Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:58 pm
BBB wrote
Quote:
I shake my head in amazement that the radical right wing of the republican party's goal is to appoint judges that won't legislate from the bench when it is clear their goal is to do exactly that, but to conform to their ideology.

What frauds and hypocrites.

IMO Very few politicians would not fit that description.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:02 pm
BBB
Wanted, a Republican to volunteer to "bell the cat." Who will tell Bush that he is president of all Americans, not just the under twenty percent of radical religious right? He is suppose to represent all of us, not just his base.

BBB
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 06:56 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/31/AR2005103100180.html

Bush Selects Alito for Supreme Court

By Fred Barbash and Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, October 31, 2005; 7:45 AM

Quote:
President Bush today will name appeals court Judge Samuel A. Alito to the U.S. Supreme Court, according to a source close to the White House. Alito, 55, serves on the Philadelphia-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, where his record on abortion rights and church-state issues has been widely applauded by conservatives and criticized by liberals.

Alito, appointed to the appeals court in 1990 by George H.W. Bush, has been a regular for years on the White House high court short list. He was also among those proposed by conservative intellectuals as an alternative to Harriet Miers, the White House counsel who withdrew as the nominee last week.

Some Democrats, including minority leader Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev), have threatened to oppose Alito, however.

Alito would be Bush's second choice in a month for the seat being vacated by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who has announced her retirement but has remained on the court pending confirmation of a successor.

Alito's resume, including a degree from the Yale Law School and service in the Reagan administration Justice Department, is very much unlike Miers', who had no appellate experience, and very much like that of Chief Justice John Roberts.

Like Chief Justice John Roberts, Alito served during the Reagan administration in the office of Solicitor General, which argues on behalf of the government in the Supreme Court.

Unlike Roberts, he has opined from the bench on both abortion rights, church-state separation and gender discrimination to the pleasure of conservatives and displeasure of liberals.

Nice save by the President.

It puts the democrats in a position of either letting this slide because the republicans have the votes in the end to approve this guy or fighting it and thereby distracting from the momentum of the CIA investigation/indictments and the Harriet Mirs withdrawal. The republicans want a fight so that we can be put in the obstructionist mold and to distract from past failures of the president.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:02 am
Just what the country needs another Scalia. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:04 am
Samuel Alito was announced officially just minutes ago.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:06 am
revel wrote:
It puts the democrats in a position of either letting this slide because the republicans have the votes in the end to approve this guy or fighting it and thereby distracting from the momentum of the CIA investigation/indictments and the Harriet Mirs withdrawal. The republicans want a fight so that we can be put in the obstructionist mold and to distract from past failures of the president.

The confirmation hearings are sure going to be interesting. It seems clear that the Republican Senators will vote for him, while the Democrats will just as clearly vote against him. The bit question will be: can Alito convince them not to filibuster?

(Shameless plug: I have posted links to what Slate magazine considers Alito's key opinions here.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:52 am
I don't think there is going to be much of a fight. We can't not appoint someone because they are against abortion and other non liberal views. That being the case liberal/democrats don't have anything else to throw at him that would work because he does have experience unlike Miers. I think there were will be just a token objection voiced but the vote will go forward with most republicans for him and most democrats against and the republicans will win.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:03 am
http://www.whitehouse.gov/barney/images/barney-20040908.jpg
Supreme Court choice Barney announcing the withdrawl of his nomination: "Members of the senate have indicated their intention to seek documents about my views on Snausages vs. Beggin' Strips in order to judge whether to support me. I will not, however, offer opinions on hypothetical doggy treats."
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:05 pm
Joe from Chicago made a funny.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
Thanks, Mortkat, I was afraid that, with the withdrawal of the Miers nomination, no one would catch my post at the [ahem] "tail-end" of this thread.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 05:34 pm
Will you still think it is funny if and when Stevens is replaced before 2008 by a conservative judge nominated by President Bush?

I won't think it is funny.

I will think it would be the culmination of conservative victories following the "hundreds" of Federal District and Appelate Court Judges(in addition to Roberts and Alito) that President Bush has put in place.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:41 pm
Mortkat wrote:
Will you still think it is funny if and when Stevens is replaced before 2008 by a conservative judge nominated by President Bush?

That depends. Can we expect that Bush will name someone as laugh-out-loud funny as Harriet Miers?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:29 pm
He tried it once
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:54 pm
He nominated Judge Roberts who, according to almost all sources, including Democrats, is a genius in the field of constitutional law.

He nominated Judge Alito, who appears to have many of the same qualities as Roberts.

At least he never nominated someone like the malignant dwarf, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, whose resume was almost completely sullied by her tenure as the ACLU's chief counsel.

To nominate a Justice who would be as far right as Ginsberg is left, President Bush would have to reach for someone like Mark R. Levin.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:46 am
morkat's language and spelling make a miraculous improvement in 24 hours.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:52 pm
I was not aware that there was a spelling czar on these posts. I am sorry but I do not take suggestions from anyone dressed up as a mountie. My fourteen year old nephew had a very bad experience when he was in school when a visting mountie came to lecture. He literally goes into shock when he sees a mountie uniform.

I do hope you understand.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:31 am
Yikes. Well, think how much worse it could have been were the visiting speaker a Catholic priest re-assigned out of California. Or Boston. Or...
0 Replies