Can you date if you're separated?

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:37 am
Is dateing when your separated cheating or not? I want to date other men but feel I must wait until I am divorced. What is the law and your opinion?

Help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 617 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:04 am
I don't know what the deal is legally, so I can't give you any advice on that account. Are you legally separated, or just living apart? Often a legal separation will spell out what a couple can and cannot do as far as seeing others. Check with your lawyer. If you are just living apart, and not legally separated, in the eyes of the law, you are married. By seeing others, your husband could take the upper hand in terms of negotiations for the divorce.

As far as my opinion is concerned, I would have to know more about your circumstances. Are you sure that you really want a divorce? Has this been simmering for a long time, and is your relationship really dead?

You are in a transitional time, and need to use this time to evaluate who you are, and where you are going with your life. IMO, any involvement with other men, would just add more confusion to your life.

Many, many years ago, I went through a similar time, and did date, both before and after the divorce. Whatever pleasure it afforded was clouded by the fact that much of what I was doing was a reaction to the problems that I had had in my marriage. If I knew then what I know now, I would have proceeded much more cautiously.
0 Replies

butterfly202

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:13 am
thank you
0 Replies