primary sources (please help)

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:27 am
hi everyone i am new to these forums and i need some help. i have an ancient history assignment to do and my topic is a comparitive study of two or more societies. we can choose any aspect of the societies to compare and i have chosen to compare the development of the roman military from the greek style phalanx as opposed to the macedonian system developed under phillip. i have two questions and would be grateful for any help anyone can give:

1) Before the development of the famous macedonian-style phalanx under phillip, did the macedonians use a similar military organisation to the greeks i.e did they use the greek phalanx?

2) what are some good primary sources for the military organisation of the greeks, romans (early romans, no later than marius' reforms) and macedonians?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 432 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:39 am
Try this:

www.usborne-quicklinks.com
0 Replies

viva chiapas

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:01 am
cheers thanks for the help merry andrew
0 Replies

viva chiapas

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:13 am
i should mention that i require written primary sources and not archaealogical evidence. i would have edited my first post but it won't let me Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:25 am
Written primary sources from Roman times and Macedonian under Philip - do I understand that correctl?

Transcripted sources are to be found e.g. at the relevant section in the Internet Ancient History Sourcebook or Military Resources or just use your library :wink:
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:48 am
Walter,

Thank you for a wonderful site. Having on-line complete texts of important source material is very useful to me. Thanks again.

Ash
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
Yes, indeed, thank you very much, Walter. Those are valuable sites now in my favorites folder.
0 Replies

viva chiapas

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:00 am
awesome thanks for the help guys
0 Replies