Fast Pulse

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:05 am
I went to a Hospital's ER in August with a very fast pulse, upset stomach, chest pain, right arm pain, sweats, short of breath and very thirsty. Wile in ER they gave me 3 injections of medicine and still it wouldn't go down. They took EKG's, Xrays, and blood test, all came out showing all good. They gave me a large potasum suppliment and messaged my neck, because all they could find in my Blood Test was no potasum. Adventually in so many hours finnaly my pulse went down. My doctor has me on Diltiazem ER 240 MG per day. They also took an Ultra Sound that turned out good to. They have know idea why this happened, or why my pulse is high. All they can think of is Ancioety. Could that be it, or something else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,399 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:40 am
Has it happened since August? What is your resting pulse now?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:17 am
There are lots of reasons for a quickie heartbeat, including atrial fibrillation, which is not to be messed with.

If they are checking for potassium, they may have been looking for an electrolyte imbalance. Since it was August, were you very hot at the time, unable to cool down? That might be a part of it.

Talk to your doc again, maybe seek out a second opinion if you don't think you're getting all the facts.

PS If your blood test showed there "was no potasum [sic, you mean potassium]", then I'm pretty sure you'd be dead. So maybe you aren't hearing everything from the doc or not understanding everything. My advice is to ask again. They shouldn't just give you the bum's rush on this. This is your health, and they should take the time to explain things to you properly.

Hope you're feeling better now.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:40 am
J_B wrote:
It still goes up high, but it was really high Friday, and it took a long time to go down.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:42 am
How high? 150? 200? Or in the 90's? Depending on the actual speed, you may or may not need to get emergency help. If it's in the low 100's or 90's, make an appointment with your doctor. If it's 150, get yourself to a hospital.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:47 am
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
J_B wrote:
It still goes up high, but it was really high Friday, and it took a long time to go down.

My sister used to have episodes like this. Like Bella said, if it's really high (or if it lasts longer than a few minutes) then you should go to an ER so they can treat you while it's happening.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:03 pm
Friday it was 120, that day in the ER in August it was 190.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:23 pm
What causes a fast resting pulse, anyway? Anyone with medical knowledge? I sometimes lately have a resting pulse rate of almost 100.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
I was recently diagnosed with Graves disease, which causes hyperthyroidism, which causes an increased pulse. There's at least one reason for you. My pulse was 104 resting when I finally went in to the doctor.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:41 pm
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
Friday it was 120, that day in the ER in August it was 190.

Hello CG... I have been where you are exactly....my resting heart rate was 120... until the put me on meds... My active heart rate reached a little over 200 one day, and I was just sitting down at my desk working...

Look into sinus tarcarydia and all the other tarycardia's... all my blood tests and EKG's came back normal so finally they put me on a hollter moniter (don't know if I spelled that right)... which is a moniter you carry on you for 24 hours.... they tape the recordings and have you write down the times your hearts races and how you feel at the time

I am now on atenolol... which I now take once a day (used to take twice a day).. I have to limit my caffeine intake to almost none, I don't even drink caffeinated soda anymore..

My resting heartrate is now anywhere from 72-80 and active it may reach 120 once in a while... but I haven't had any problems since

Let me know how everything goes and if u have any questions...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:45 pm
How are you doing on the atenolol? I am up to 75mg and my pulse is still 90-95. 100mg makes me drugged.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:48 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
How are you doing on the atenolol? I am up to 75mg and my pulse is still 90-95. 100mg makes me drugged.
25 mg once a day... 8 am sharp.... When I took 50 mg a day I was tired all the time... my heart races alot once the meds wear off but I have learned to cope with it and I have ways to calm it down...

I find in the morning when I wake up, my heart is going so fast that sometimes I really think I am gonna faint and late at night also, that is why I always stay sober as can be...

But I gave myself the heart problem from my own stupid mistakes...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:20 pm
What changes in the heart cause it to develop a rapid resting rate? Do any nurses, doctors, patients, etc. here know?
0 Replies