RACISM

lindatw

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:59 am
Goodfielder:Absolutely right !
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:38 pm
Dear LindaTW:

Would you tell me how SSRI's work and what the side effects are?
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
Jamesw84: Hi ! With the understanding that I am not a doctor or a pharmacist,here's what I found in Wikipedia: Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors
are a kind of anti-depressant that act within the brain to increase the amount of serotonin which acts to elevate one's mood. By no means am I an expert in chemistry or psychopharmacology, but science has found that low levels of serotonin in the human brain can lead to anxiety,depression,obsessive-compulsive disorder,and other conditions.
As far as side effects go,Wikipedia related information that side-effects may happen in only 10% of patients,i.e: sexual side-effects,and some few instances of the patient being in a "mental fog".
If you ever take SSRI's,please do it under a doctor's care,and give it and all medicines like it about 4-6 weeks to get fully into your system and
give you the kind of results you want.
The info in Wikipedia was too long to reproduce verbatim here,but just enter SSRI as the thing you are searching for,and you can find the whole text. If your university has any medical books,there is a reference book called"The Physician's Desk Reference" that shows every pill
available,and info about each. Always be an informed consumer,and always ask for info.
Good Luck !!!
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:22 pm
So Wikipedia has everything under the sun these days huh? Could it be that someone just happens to lack seretonin biologically when they were born?
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:40 pm
Jamesw84: I have never heard of anyone totally lacking serotonin when they were born,and I don't know if that's even possible,but it might be possible to go for many months with unusually low amounts of serotonin. Plenty of people have one degree or
another of depression for years,and it just might be due to low levels of the chemical.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:48 pm
So taking SSRIS will be some kind of vitamin supplement to keep these levels up to reduce the effects of bad times.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
Jamesw84: No. Not at all. To my limited knowledge,
SSRI's do not act like vitamins.They are not meant to supplement vitamins. They are a medicine,meant to alleviate any medical causes of depression. They are meant to be an adjunct to counseling. Not a quick cure-all for life's problems.
To my way of thinking,only thru counseling with a competent therapist,can it even be determined whether or not you need SSRI's. As I see it,Jamesw84,you can't get away from the fact that counseling will be of great benefit to you,and it will be the only way to start feeling better about yourself and your life.
Cheers !
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:38 pm
I will try another counselor after the exams, though I wouldnt know where to start in terms of what to say to them during the first session. Any suggestions ?
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:43 pm
I felt really alkward the last time I saw one, because its like digging up all these things from the past and revealing it to some stranger. I felt embarrassed about doing it especially during the first session, and it felt like I was in a hopeless state and that I had to run to him as a last resort.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:46 pm
Jamesw84: The awkwardness and pain are not pleasant,but they are normal for that situation. You are having to relive the negative things in your life. The first few sessions with any counselor can be difficult,but is necessary that you tell the counselor everything and be absolutely honest at all times,and hold nothing back That is the only way the counselor can help you,and help you help yourself.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 03:46 pm
Jamesw84: I hope you will follow thru on the counseling after your term exams. When you do go to your first session,it will be a get-acquainted session for the 2 of you. The counselor may ask you specific questions about what you feel,when,where,and how and why you have those feelings. When in doubt,ask the therapist where he/she would like you to begin.
Good Luck
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:04 am
lindatw wrote:
jamesw84: Please realize you have been traumatized over long periods of your life. You have a great deal of anger and can't get rid of it without counseling.
As to whom you should see,either a psychologist or a psychiatrist will do. They are both trained to guide you to find the answers and the peace you need. Maybe your university has low-cost services.If not then check in the yellow pages of your phone book for counselors. Local medical schools have such departments with qualified professors who are trained in these fields. Tell whomever you speak with that you are a student and can't pay much. Don't let money be an excuse for not getting help.
Peace:)

I have decided to find a counsellor and I am trying to figure out what to say to him/her when we meet up, and I have been reading through my own posts and the advice from other people over the last 2 months. Would it be a good idea for me to start talking about the trauma that I experienced as a child during the first session with the counsellor? I dont know where else to start except for the earliest negative experiences I have had in this country. If I just describe to them what I am feeling at the moment it might not bring the counsellor the root of my problems?
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:08 am
Jamesw84: Congratulations on deciding to seek help.That's an important first step. Be prepared to start at the absolute very begining and tell the counselor everything in as much detail as possible.
The therapist will let you know what they want to know,and when. What happened in your childhood is the foundation of the choices you live with today,and must be addressed and dealt with eventually.
Good luck !
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:23 pm
Thanks for all your encouragement over the past 2 months or so. Appreciate it.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:39 pm
Jamesw84:You're welcome. Good Luck !!! Very Happy
0 Replies

bennydunreallycare

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:26 am
Hi James,

I emphatize with your situation, though I had only read the first few pages of this thread.

Anyway, I studied a little psychology. Hope this helps you in seeking the peace that you are searching for.

Racism has to do alot with perspective. Perspective is subjective due to the influences of one's culture, values, beliefs and experiences.

It also moulds you personality, motivation and behavior.

No worries, perspective is subjected to change.

What I see is tension in your life. This is due to the fact that you see a great need in achieving self-identification which affects your ego. Once you fulfill this need. You will move on.

The problem is how you achieve this need. Compromise, avoid, conflict or accommodate. Whatever choice you make will result in your future perspective.

What I hope that you will not do is to stereotype people as racist, that way, you can opened up to many more people who can help you. :wink:
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:14 am
I have been in counselling for over 5 sessions now over the past 3 months. The first experience was quite disturbing for me, as I did not know what to say or how to say it to the therapist sitting opposite me. I think by now I am beginning to trust that the therapist is a sympathetic lady who wants to help me with my problems, and I am finding it easier to open up about my past and experiences. For the first time in my life this week, I have talked to someone about the experiences with regard to racism I have had throughout my life. There was great catharsis, and now I feel a lot less tension in my life. It was like a huge burden was lifted off me. She told me the important thing now is for me to let go of these memories and try to stop carrying these scars around me when I meet new people, otherwise I will continue to stereotype most people as being racists.

It is known that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy does work for many people, though I am finding it extremely difficult to practice as it involves disputing the automatic thoughts that come to your head. The therapist has told me many times over that it will get easier the more I practice it. Progress is very very slow, but now I do feel like as if there is a glimmer of hope for the future, and things will get better if I continue to see this clinical psychologist to help work with my problems.

Thanks for all ur suggestions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:34 am
Good for you James. I followed this thread without comment, because i don't have any qualified or authoritative advice to offer. I am glad to know that you are working through this, and hope the best for you.
0 Replies