RACISM

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:09 am
Either.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:07 am
cicerone imposter, I had read through this thread a while back and your story I had found inspiring, and had been one of the reasons for following the discussion. It was heartening to hear you have such a possitve attitude towards humanitiy and had not become bitter through your experience. It had reminded me of a quote by Aldous Huxley who had said
Quote:
Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you."

One thing I would suggest to James as he has said
Quote:
My father's split second irrational decision has caused me so much pain and grief in this country

I of course could not know the details for your fathers decision. But in my experience, nearly every family that has emigrated out of asia, has done so out of love of thier children, you age at the time idicates to me this may be a strong posibility. The school system in asia is incredibly tough, very long hours, competition for prestigious schools means after schools and very strict lifestyles that they had to endure, they hope they can offer thier children a better life, at all costs. They can spend thier family fortunes on emigrating , and loose contact with everyone they know , but they will happily do this out of love for thier children. If you are happy, they will feel happy too, it will have all been worth it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm
Many soldiers in war experience traumatic events; some never overcome them for the rest of their life.

All humans suffer through some trauma during their lifetimes. Some are able to survive the worst of them, while others are affected for the rest of their lives by what many see as minor trauma to others.

We are all subjective beings living affected by our genes and our environment. Some of us are luckier than others. We must all learn to accept things we are unable to control. For everything else, it's up to us to make the best of it by our efforts and goals.

If one has hardships in the past, don't let that affect your future. Only you can make your life successful.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
Jamesw84: I'm new to this thread,so please forgive me if I repeat things others have already said. Your ancestral culture has given the world many great people and things. For that you can be proud. Your parents sound like they love you and your brothers and sisters deeply to have uprooted their own lives to try for a better one in Australia.
It's a sad fact of life that there are always people who are hateful towards others who are different.
All you can do for yourself is be the best person you can be, be of good moral character,and never treat others as badly as you have been treated.
I agree with whomever stated you would really profit from counseling services on a regular basis.
Your university may be able to offer low-cost help.
Speaking as someone who has training in social work and counseling,you really and truly sound as though you have been traumatized in your life,and may be somewhat clinically depressed.
As far as your question about our own judgements and prejudices is concerned,I'm sure we all judge others,but I would hope it is by their character,and behavior,not by their race,etc.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:45 pm
lindatw wrote:
Jamesw84: I'm new to this thread,so please forgive me if I repeat things others have already said. Your ancestral culture has given the world many great people and things. For that you can be proud. Your parents sound like they love you and your brothers and sisters deeply to have uprooted their own lives to try for a better one in Australia.
It's a sad fact of life that there are always people who are hateful towards others who are different.
All you can do for yourself is be the best person you can be, be of good moral character,and never treat others as badly as you have been treated.
I agree with whomever stated you would really profit from counseling services on a regular basis.
Your university may be able to offer low-cost help.
Speaking as someone who has training in social work and counseling,you really and truly sound as though you have been traumatized in your life,and may be somewhat clinically depressed.
As far as your question about our own judgements and prejudices is concerned,I'm sure we all judge others,but I would hope it is by their character,and behavior,not by their race,etc.

Ive been reading on trauma. From what I've read, it affects people who have been in war, been raped, been abducted, been sexually abused as children, and other extreme and horrific experiences. Im not sure if my case fits into this category.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 11:56 pm
Yes it does.

Although whether it does or not is actually unimportant in practical terms.

As it happens, I am a therapist specializing in the treatment of traumatized children.

What you have described here as being your experiences in school would fit the criteria for chronic circumstances that cause trauma over time.

Anyhoo, it matters not to quibble over definition.

You describe experiences that have negatively affected your views about yourself, and seem to be causing you major problems.

In my view, a good therapist could help you, over time, to have your experiences have a less negative effect on your life.

But it is entirely up to you whether you decide to take any notice of what I think.

You might also benefit by reading a good book on cognitive behavioural therapy, which would assist you to challenge the beliefs you have taken on board which are not helpful to you, or having contact with others who have overcome the effects of similar experiences.

Here, the Migrant Welfare service would be able to help you access any of these. I imagine there is a similar service in Sydney?

Again, it is entirely up to you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:06 am
I agree with dlowan, and recommend that you follow his advise. Your mental health is as important as your physical health. One affects the other, and the best remedy is to find experts who can help you. If the first one doesn't work out for you, look for another one. You must find a professional that you can work with.
0 Replies

spunkymonkey

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:39 am
Amen to what everyone said about therapists. I had, in the past, always said that people who go to therapy without having experienced "major" tramua (rape etc) were self indulgent and, well, wankey!

But then, after my son was born, I suffered from severe post natal depression and anxiety disorders. I was having hallucinations, would not take him out in public because I was terrified someone would shoot him. I would not let anyone hold him, because I was convinced they would take him away.

I sought professional help. I found a therapist, who helped me unlock alot of past issues and work through them...It was not until I sat down and read through a list of what "qualifies" as major trauma that I realised I had a lot of boxes to tick!

Therapy is for anyone, any time. If you feel negatively about things, then go.As I said before, you have a right to be happy and at peace.

What is the point of telling you this? My grandma had an analogy, which she used often (have used God here because she did...feel free to insert spiritual term of choice)

"Sometimes, when God wants your attention, he drops a pebble on your head. If you brush it off, he drops a rock. Ignore that, he drops a boulder. Don't wait for the piano to hit you sweetheart."

Maybe your experiences have clouded your life and judgements. Seek help now, don't let your anger and resentment boil up inside you. You are still young enough to turn early negative experiences to positives
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:41 am
spunkymonkey wrote:
Amen to what everyone said about therapists. I had, in the past, always said that people who go to therapy without having experienced "major" tramua (rape etc) were self indulgent and, well, wankey!

But then, after my son was born, I suffered from severe post natal depression and anxiety disorders. I was having hallucinations, would not take him out in public because I was terrified someone would shoot him. I would not let anyone hold him, because I was convinced they would take him away.

I sought professional help. I found a therapist, who helped me unlock alot of past issues and work through them...It was not until I sat down and read through a list of what "qualifies" as major trauma that I realised I had a lot of boxes to tick!

Therapy is for anyone, any time. If you feel negatively about things, then go.As I said before, you have a right to be happy and at peace.

What is the point of telling you this? My grandma had an analogy, which she used often (have used God here because she did...feel free to insert spiritual term of choice)

"Sometimes, when God wants your attention, he drops a pebble on your head. If you brush it off, he drops a rock. Ignore that, he drops a boulder. Don't wait for the piano to hit you sweetheart."

Maybe your experiences have clouded your life and judgements. Seek help now, don't let your anger and resentment boil up inside you. You are still young enough to turn early negative experiences to positives

Ive actually talked to a councillor at my uni about a year ago, and it basically got me nowhere. I told him I thought people were disapproving of me everywhere I go and I felt paranoid in the lectures. He told me this stuff to make me feel a bit better, but overall, it didnt help in the long run. The first few times I went to see him, it was helpful, then after about 5 or 6 times it became more and more alkward for me, during every session I didnt know what to say to him and this feeling was mutual between us. I think I couldnt really trust him enough to tell him about all my problems and experiences from the past, I mean, how can a person just tell everything to someone who they dont even know and feel comfortable about it? I stopped seeing him after about 15 sessions, I felt bad about seeing a shrink because it made me feel as if I was crazy and abnormal. Every time when I went to visit him I was afraid that people I knew would see me enter his building, I was always watching my back to see if anyone noticed me going there. The idea of seeing a therapist scares me, it makes me feel like I am severely disturbed.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:44 am
Should I be seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist? I dont know the real difference between the two. Anyways this therapy costs a lot of money which I dont have at the moment so I will definitely have to put it off for a while until I graduate. I would never tell my parents about these problems because they will think I am beyond hope and they would never understand my problems anyways, so I cant ask them for the money.

What book titles would you recommend for my situation?
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:48 am
dlowan wrote:
Yes it does.

Although whether it does or not is actually unimportant in practical terms.

As it happens, I am a therapist specializing in the treatment of traumatized children.

What you have described here as being your experiences in school would fit the criteria for chronic circumstances that cause trauma over time.

Anyhoo, it matters not to quibble over definition.

You describe experiences that have negatively affected your views about yourself, and seem to be causing you major problems.

In my view, a good therapist could help you, over time, to have your experiences have a less negative effect on your life.

But it is entirely up to you whether you decide to take any notice of what I think.

You might also benefit by reading a good book on cognitive behavioural therapy, which would assist you to challenge the beliefs you have taken on board which are not helpful to you, or having contact with others who have overcome the effects of similar experiences.

Here, the Migrant Welfare service would be able to help you access any of these. I imagine there is a similar service in Sydney?

Again, it is entirely up to you.

What makes humans so different from one another? I have this friend who told me he went to a extremely racist primary school and attended the same high school as me, and he was unaffected by it and now live a carefree life free from vengeful anger and bitterness. What makes me remember and ruminate about these past events so much more? Is it purely genetic?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:22 am
Resilience is, we think, affected by many factors...some may be genetic, many are probably the result of upbringing, other life experiences, intelligence etc.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:29 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
Should I be seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist? I dont know the real difference between the two. Anyways this therapy costs a lot of money which I dont have at the moment so I will definitely have to put it off for a while until I graduate. I would never tell my parents about these problems because they will think I am beyond hope and they would never understand my problems anyways, so I cant ask them for the money.

I am almost certain that you could access assistance for free through community health centres. Look in your phone book, and check. There would probably be a waiting list.

Psychiatrists are relatively cheap, since Medicare pays most of their fee.

The gap varies. You need a GP referral for a psychiatrist.

My personal prejudice would be that you are more likely to find a psychologist or social worker who is a good therapist than a psychiatrist, who, in Oz, tend to fouus more on medication, although a screen for depression might not be a bad idea.

Aargh, I am not great on self help books.

Perhaps open a thread on health and get some suggestions? I will comment on any you get recommended (I can check them on Amazon) since many of them are purest crap. Look, in your case, for cognitive behavioural ones, I think...or sample some of these.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:40 am
dlowan wrote:
Jamesw84 wrote:

Aargh, I am not great on self help books.

Perhaps open a thread on health and get some suggestions? I will comment on any you get recommended (I can check them on Amazon) since many of them are purest crap. Look, in your case, for cognitive behavioural ones, I think...or sample some of these.

I agree with you that most of the self help books out there are the purest crap, and they are just there to make money, although they may be a good read, even the best seller ones.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:42 am
Wow, I never realised the internet was so useful in the way that it has been to me recently, there are so many people out here willing to give their authentic advice to others, and there are so many who are interested in helping others they dont know. This has definitely given me a new perspective to humanity.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:25 am
jamesw84: Please realize you have been traumatized over long periods of your life. You have a great deal of anger and can't get rid of it without counseling.
As to whom you should see,either a psychologist or a psychiatrist will do. They are both trained to guide you to find the answers and the peace you need. Maybe your university has low-cost services.If not then check in the yellow pages of your phone book for counselors. Local medical schools have such departments with qualified professors who are trained in these fields. Tell whomever you speak with that you are a student and can't pay much. Don't let money be an excuse for not getting help.
Peace:)
0 Replies

spunkymonkey

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:48 pm
There is a book I read called"the dance of anger" which helped me...but I think you would be better talking to someone. It does take time to build up a bond of trust...maybe you need to give it a bit longer, maybe you need to find someone different. It's like any job, you need to find a hairdresser you like, a GP you like etc. You aren't just going to click with every professional you meet, and it's the same with mental health.

Speaking of which, there is a mental health unit tied in with every hospital (or most) who offer free counsellors. Obviously you want to share your experiences, or you wouldn't be posting them all over the web. I think talking helps. Maybe you just aren't ready to truly deal with all the emotions. I don't mean to sound stupid here, but there is a tv guy, Dr Phil. He talks about "pay offs"...You don't continue to do something, positive or negative, unless there is something in it for you.

For example, people who drink too much have the pay off of alcohol numbing their emotional pain. People who take drugs have a similar pay off.

People who stay in the victim role (no body likes me, I am being persecuted etc) have the pay off of not having to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. They say things like "I didn't get the job because I am Chinese." "That person broke up with me because I'm fat"
"I can't play that sport because I am too clumsy". Because all the blame is on someone else, victimised people never really have to experience failure and hurt. It is always someone elses fault. They never need anlayse their role and their negative behaviours, because it is always someone elses fault.

Someone posted about CBT...cognative behaviour therapy. It's a good tool. It teaches you to challenge your thoughts. When you start to think "Everyone is staring at me because I'm a fraud. All the other people here know I'm not good enough" you stop yourself and challenge that thought, as though you are talking to a friend "That's not true. Maybe people are looking at me because I remind them of a friend. Maybe people have their head turned this way because the lecturer is moving around. Maybe I'm just being paranoid." "these people don't know me, how could they possibly know what I have done to be here."

Best of luck
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:33 am
lindatw wrote:
jamesw84: Please realize you have been traumatized over long periods of your life. You have a great deal of anger and can't get rid of it without counseling.
As to whom you should see,either a psychologist or a psychiatrist will do. They are both trained to guide you to find the answers and the peace you need. Maybe your university has low-cost services.If not then check in the yellow pages of your phone book for counselors. Local medical schools have such departments with qualified professors who are trained in these fields. Tell whomever you speak with that you are a student and can't pay much. Don't let money be an excuse for not getting help.
Peace:)

Do I sound very very angry here?
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:47 am
It is too hard to describe the emotional problems I have, but I can describe the rare and sudden feelings of normality that I feel in my life. I feel my head is clear of all thoughts only when I have a shower, when the water is going into my ears, or when the time I punched the wall, the intense pain gave me a clear head free from anxiety, or the time when I burned myself on the oven, my mind felt relaxed, or the time when I nearly fainted after doing sport, my mind was clear and free from anxiety. Other times my head is filled with anxiety and other negative emotions. Living under pressure for such a long time must have done something to me.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:57 am
Jamesw84: You do sound angry at yourself,angry at"the world" and,in some ways,incorrectly angry
at your race,for the real pain you feel. Yes, you
sound angry at yourself and the world,with physical pain being the only relief from it. Speak with whomever you can find in your area who will give you a neutral,non-judgemental forum in which to
explore and end your anger,depression and self-hatred. A qualified counselor willbe a kind of guide to the path to your being able to live happily.
0 Replies