Could the area in which reside be evacuated in an emergency?

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:19 am
The recent Hurricanes revealed the difficulties of evacuation. As a result municipalities large and small scrambling to devise evacuation plans.
Based on where you live how difficult or easy would it be to evacuate in times of a similar emergency? Natures or man made? Can it effectively be accomplished?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 755 • Replies: 15
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
I have thought about that. One thing about Columbus is that the freeway system is very, very good, and I'm 5 minutes from an onramp.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:32 am
Considering what it takes to get around and in and out of the city during a normal rush hour. I can only look in horror at the thought of a general evacuation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:33 am
Ooh, Brooklyn. Yeah.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:42 am
We'd be fine if we were evacuated toward the north (WI), but we'd be toast if we were sent south or west. Being on one side or another of a major city and being told to evactuate in a direction that sends you through the city would result in chaos.
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:11 pm
The Washigton, DC area? Oof. Traffic snarls to a standstill at peak hour. I can't imagine a mass evacuation, and nevermind the fact that most people in downtown don't have cars anyway.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:17 pm
Even the best evacuation plans can run into problems. One traffic accident, or one car breaking down and everything is thrown off kilter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:44 pm
Ha, Horror here too!!!
Living up on a mountain close to the Pacific, and only one
way out to the freeway, my chances of falling off the mountain
are far greater than making it down driving.

I guess I have a choice though: I could be hit by an earthquake of great magnitude or the tsunami resulting thereof will get me -
either way, I won't make it out.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
au and bodo. I suggest that you guys have a "kiss your ass goodbye" strategy in place. Ive gotten stuck for an hour around Montgomery County near that Mormon Temple in DC watching traffic not move. Brooklyn? ...you gotta be kidding. You should just engage in random sex and drugs till the end .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
I'm a goner. Getting out of here on a regular day takes forever. Too much water and too few bridges.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 02:45 pm
It was easier to evacuate the Britih troops from Dunkirk than it would be to evacuate Brooklyn.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 03:17 pm
Our driveway turns off a 3 mile road which connects two roads that actually go someplace. A lot would depend on where the forest fire started.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:49 pm
I'm sandwiched halfway between Sand Diego and Los Angeles and sandwiched is how they'll recover my body. There waaaaay too many people for the area to be evacuated.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Our driveway turns off a 3 mile road which connects two roads that actually go someplace. A lot would depend on where the forest fire started.

I sincerely hope you have an evacuation plan prepared Noddy. I'm not kidding. No doubt the local authorities are on top of it but if you live in a rural area that's prone to fires you really need an evacuation plan so everyone in the house knows what to do and when to do it. In the last big bushfires we had in my state some people were killed because they evacuated at the last minute. The policy here is now get out early or stay and protect the house (having prepared your house and property of course).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:29 pm
goodfielder--

Not to worry. Of course I'd like to load the car material possessions, but if the paved road is cut off by fire there is an old logging trail through the woods.

I have every intention of leaving home at the first sign of danger.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
There are a few ways out of town, here in north north, but to really move out would involve the whole population driving away on highway 101 north or south, clotted into one fat traffic jam.

Some could jump on boats, assuming the catastrophe wasn't a tsunami. Then there'd be a boat jam..
0 Replies