My kind of town, Chicago is...

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:11 pm
Kahlue was a THESPIAN? who knew?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
If you had seen the show you would have had no doubts.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:13 pm
@wandeljw,
So are you guys going to pony up the cash for Peavy? And do you really need him?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:16 pm
@Gargamel,
Peavy will get traded when San Diego realizes it can't get everything it thinks it should get in exchange for a talented but often-injured pitcher. But then that might never happen. The San Diego management hasn't been too smart lately.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 02:18 pm
@Gargamel,
I just noticed that Co-ed Prison Sluts has been extended again through the end of February.

Garg -- it was a riot. I had as much fun watching the guy in the front row trying to keep from falling out of his chair from laughter as I did watching the show.

Gargamel

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:33 am
@JPB,
Excellent! I'm so going.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:22 am
@Gargamel,
You, of all people, must see that show. It's not just around the corner, it's right up your alley.
JPB

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:28 pm
@joefromchicago,
I know this is extremely late notice but I'm coming downtown on Monday to bring joe his "Co-ed Prison Sluts" cds that I very nicely held on to as we left the theater (Oh sure, put these in your bottomless purse but don't forget to give them back to me... OOPS! Yes, we've made a copy!).

joe and I will meet somewhere wonderful for lunch and the handover but if anyone else is interested in joining in yell now or forever hold it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:52 am
On another thread:
Diest TKO wrote:
For that matter, I'm still going to be headed to Chicago sometime this year as well, so I think I'd like to meet some of the Chi-town group.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:33 pm
I work 2 blocks away from Chicago's Holy Name Cathedral. The roof was on fire when I came to work early this morning. The Tribune has already posted a photo of the cleanup going on inside the cathedral right now (as I type this):

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/_cleanup640.jpg
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:19 am
From Today's Chicago Tribune:
Quote:
Cubs waiting it out at soggy Wrigley Field

It's raining at Wrigley Field, but a big crowd is already lining up behind the left field bleachers in hopes of snaring a ticket for the Cubs home opener.

The Cubs are prepared to wait it out, though the tarp is on the field and the forecast doesn't look too good.

Are you at Wrigley right now, joefromchicago?
JPB

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:56 pm
@wandeljw,
What a miserable day for a ball game! It's 37 and raining here. I can't imagine it's too much warmer than that downtown. brrrrrrrrrr
wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:26 pm
@JPB,
Yes, JPB. I took a walk outside during my lunch break. The rain was light but the wind was whipping the rain right at me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:40 pm
Game In Progress 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
Rockies ..............0 0 0 0 0 0 - - - ....0 0 1
Cubs ....................0 1 0 2 0 - - - -...... 3 7 0
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:43 pm
Lilly's got a no-no going.

WOULD SOMEONE ON THE ROCKIES PLEASE HIT THE BALL?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 06:34 pm
Final:
1 2 3..4 5 6..7 8 9 ..R H E
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...0 1 1 Rockies
0 1 0 2 0 0 0 1 _ ....4 9 0 Cubs
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:21 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

From Today's Chicago Tribune:
Quote:
Cubs waiting it out at soggy Wrigley Field

It's raining at Wrigley Field, but a big crowd is already lining up behind the left field bleachers in hopes of snaring a ticket for the Cubs home opener.

The Cubs are prepared to wait it out, though the tarp is on the field and the forecast doesn't look too good.

Are you at Wrigley right now, joefromchicago?

Holy cats it was cold out there!

I tried to sell my tickets to the home opener but I couldn't find any takers. Maybe it's the lousy economy, maybe everybody is fed up with the Cubs after two straight playoff sweeps, maybe they all knew that the weather would be miserable (but then the weather for every home opener is miserable). Anyway, I couldn't sell them, so I figured I might as well go to the game myself. I gave my other ticket to my brother. It just so happened that he met up with some friends who had seats about seven rows behind the visitors dugout, so we sat there the entire game. A fine mist fell during the entire game, which left everything soaked. Still, it was a good game and an excellent performance by pitcher Ted Lilly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
Go CUBS! (From California, yet.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:45 am
Hola folks! It looks like we've got some company coming in mid-August. Right now we're looking at holding dates between Aug 20-24. The in-flow/out-flow of those coming and going may cover that entire range. I hope some of the locals are in town and psyched to meet up with folks from the other side of the pond and perhaps a few from this one as well.

Stay tuned... Izzie has booked flights to the US and plans on arriving here 8/19 leaving 8/24. Additional arrivals/departures are under discussion, but we can surely get downtown for some work-week lunches and weekend fun.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:52 am
@JPB,
Late August -- the perfect time to visit Chicago. Remember, it's not the heat, it's the humidity and the heat.