My kind of town, Chicago is...

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 06:37 pm
How did I get the job of organizing this?

I don't really go to too many bars. I know a few, but I can't guarantee that they won't be packed on the weekend before Halloween. Anyone have a preference for a neighborhood? Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Bucktown?

If sublime can't make it on Friday I'm more than happy to meet on Saturday. The out-of-towners need to speak up soon as to which day is good for them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 06:44 pm
I can only do Friday this weekend.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 07:50 pm
Suggestion: make it a two-niter. Some can make only one, but others can do both. Best option IMHO>
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 08:37 am
Maybe it's my imagination but there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm.

There's a paranormal event tomorrow night that looks intriguing. Zane and I might do that instead.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
Synonymph, It's not your imagination. I'm an a2ker that attended several a2k gatherings, and the lack of enthusiasm in Chicago was quite noticeable from the beginning. Sorry I couldn't be of any help, although I've tried - from California.

We're having a mini-gathering in Austin this Saturday - our second one in Austin. I've been to the a2k gathering in San Francisco and two in London, and one in Lipsstadt, Germany.

You guys are really missing out on a good thing. Most a2kers are great, intelligent, above the crowd people.

I've lived in Chicago for a few years, and felt there were enough take-charge people to make this work. Kind of disappointed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 10:28 am
OK, how's this for take-charge.

I will be at the Red Lion Pub at 8:00 on Friday night. The Red Lion is conveniently located near the Fullerton el stop (parking is kinda' tight in that neighborhood, so I recommend either a taxi or public transportation). If everyone shows up, great! If no one shows up, then I'll at least have a pint of lager and a delicious fish and chips dinner. Any A2Ker who shows up should WEAR SOMETHING RED so we can identify each other (secret handshakes don't work at a distance).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 11:03 am
Very good, joe. Our first gathering at ye olde Cheshire Cheese in London was haphazard, because we didn't know each other, and the Cheshire has many different bars. The second one at Penderel's Oak in London last April turned out much better. We didn't need to wear something red. LOL Good luck, guys. Please take photographs, and report on your Chicago gathering. If you guys plan another one in a year or two, I might even show up!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 11:09 am
Speaking of Penderel's Oak in London, all I did was walk in the door and several peeps said "It's Dys"
I assume this was a result of cosmic awareness or, my aura was particularly magnetic that day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 11:13 am
Yeah, and I thought dys and Steve were going to initiate WWIII.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 03:00 pm
Great, Joe.

I'll see you at 8:00. I'm going to drive in because I'm nowhere near the el. Friday evening on the inbound Edens is, ah, s-l-o-w and I might be driving around a bit looking for parking. I'll pm my cell phone number to you.

Hopefully Zane and Syn will decide to come. Maybe Sublime can stop buy on his way to his other party. We'll give it a try at least.

I'll wear red, but I'm hard to miss. Just look for a six-footer with long, dark hair.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 03:26 pm
Way to go, Chicago!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
I certainly hope Zane and Synonymph can make it. What about wandeljw and jpinMilwaukee?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 08:46 am
Joe and J-B,

I would love to come, but there is only a slight chance that I will make it. (My wife just returned from an out-of-town trip and she has a long list of things for me to do. We also have a six year old daughter.) If I can somehow escape for a few hours, I will stop by.

-wandel
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 09:16 am
Hope to see you tonight, wandel.

I'm kinda worried about jp. He hasn't posted since the 18th. I was thinking of looking for him on the missing A2K thread. The pm I sent him yesterday is still in my outbox.

Zane, Syn and Sublime - I hope you guys stop by as well.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:56 am
JP might be in town today for the parade. I think he still has family here and I can't imagine him missing this. I wish I had a way of getting in touch with him.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 06:39 pm
Plans changed, Heading over there right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
<yayyyyyy>
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 10:42 pm
Well it was only a mini meet. Only JB and myself were in attendance. We still had good conversation and beverages. There might have been a picture taken, not sure. Will have to wait for JB to verify.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 10:48 pm
Well, I suppose they were washing their hair..

OK, I know that was bad. I apologize in advance.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:15 pm
sublime1 wrote:
There might have been a picture taken, not sure. Will have to wait for JB to verify.

Wow, you got home quickly. The advantange of living in the city, I guess. Um, er, pic, huh? You can post it, I guess. But I'll put in my advance disclaimer about not being photogenic.

Sublime and I had a nice evening at a pretty cool pub. Not sure what happened to Joe. He and I played phone tag for a bit, but couldn't get a clear signal. Maybe next time...
0 Replies