What is the Matter with Bill Bennett?????

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:38 am
yitwail wrote:
in the meantime, care to explain how eliminating all black police officers would not affect the crime rate, in case Finn d'Abuzz isn't up to the challenge?

Is your thesis that if you were to eliminate all black law enforcement officers, the staffing requirements of the various law enforcement agencies would not be met by police officers of other races? Municipalities would just throw up their hands in exasperation because they couldn't find qualified people to hire for their law enforcement needs?

If you were to eliminate all black criminals, would there be criminals from other races scrambling to fill the void? Or would there just be a void?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:
yitwail wrote:
in the meantime, care to explain how eliminating all black police officers would not affect the crime rate, in case Finn d'Abuzz isn't up to the challenge?

Is your thesis that if you were to eliminate all black law enforcement officers, the staffing requirements of the various law enforcement agencies would not be met by police officers of other races? Municipalities would just throw up their hands in exasperation because they couldn't find qualified people to hire for their law enforcement needs?

If you were to eliminate all black criminals, would there be criminals from other races scrambling to fill the void? Or would there just be a void?

i don't have a thesis. perhaps women would have to take up the possible police shortage, not to mention the shortage in armed forces recruitment.
what if an insufficient number of whites & women are willing to become police, would there be a police draft? maybe halliburton would start a privatized police force. the point is, there is no way to know what the net impact on crime would be.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:09 pm
Why is this country so race allergic? The mere mention of race throws America into a fit. Bennett's absurd hypothetical -- and he said it merely to emphasize its absurdity -- shows a lack of tact, but not much else. I'd throw this one in the "who cares" category. Bennett needs to work on his public speaking skills -- so what?

I also don't think that anyone needs to spend even a half a second analyzing the likely outcome of Bennett's hypothetical. The actual consequences are impossible to predict. Race aside, the population decline incident to such mass abortion would probably be economically disastrous. But who knows and who cares what would happen to crime and law enforcement. The idea is ridiculous.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:11 pm
Agreeed, SW.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:23 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
I also don't think that anyone needs to spend even a half a second analyzing the likely outcome of Bennett's hypothetical. The actual consequences are impossible to predict.

wonderful, so we all agree now that this statement is not factual:

Quote:
But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down.

thank you Steppenwolf.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:11 pm
revel wrote:

Because he does agree with it, he just thinks it would be morally reprehensible to carry it out.

Stop acting like Bennett is promoting black genocide. He is not.

Blacks represent about 12% of the population.

If you were to eliminate 12% of the population at random, you don't think there would be a reduction in crime ?

revel wrote:

If someone opens up a thread about Farrakkan and his statements I am sure people would have something to say about it. For my part if he said that, it was a stupid thing to repeat. This is the first I heard or read about the statement.

My guess is liberal democrats would be unsurprisingly silent.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:15 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
If you were to eliminate 12% of the population at random, you don't think there would be a reduction in crime ?

that's not what Bennett said. obviously, crime would go down. Bennett said the crime rate would go down.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:19 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

What's preventing you from starting one?

Nada.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:
People know and understand Farrakhan is insane. His words are as meaningful as spit. Bennett, on the otherhand, was an unexpected source of outrage. That's why it makes headlines and valuable chat-room fodder.

Or is it because liberals tend to give blacks and other liberals alot more leeway than they give conservatives for percieved racist remarks ?

Let us not forget Hilary's "Ghandi pumping gas routine".
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
yitwail wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
I also don't think that anyone needs to spend even a half a second analyzing the likely outcome of Bennett's hypothetical. The actual consequences are impossible to predict.

wonderful, so we all agree now that this statement is not factual:

Quote:
But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down.

thank you Steppenwolf.

And what does that show? That he was probably incorrect about his absurd hypothetical? And? I can't believe that's what all the fuss is about.

Headlines across the nation: Bennett probably incorrect about off-the-cuff hypothetical.

Where are you going, my friend?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
Crime rate is crimes per 100,000 persons.

If you eliminate 50% of the population your crime rate wouldn't necessarily change one bit.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:35 pm
yitwail wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:

that's not what Bennett said. obviously, crime would go down. Bennett said the crime rate would go down.

I understand your point.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:38 pm
parados wrote:
Crime rate is crimes per 100,000 persons.

If you eliminate 50% of the population your crime rate wouldn't necessarily change one bit.

Yes, but overall crime would be down. Isn't that the goal in crime reduction ?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:41 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
[And what does that show? That he was probably incorrect about his absurd hypothetical? And? I can't believe that's what all the fuss is about.

Headlines across the nation: Bennett probably incorrect about off-the-cuff hypothetical.

Where are you going, my friend?

not going anywhere; just like to see people at a2k have a more correct understanding of crime statistics than Mr. Bennett has. after all, providing info is supposedly one of the stated goals of a2k.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:57 pm
just to tie up a loose end, Tico, you asked:

Ticomaya wrote:

i'm puzzled why you asked this, since a week ago you agreed with this observation:

joefromchicago wrote:
(3) Crime, in many respects, is like an ecological niche. If a city killed all of its pigeons, that would probably result in an increase in the rat population, because both occupy the same general niche. The same with criminals. When the feds cracked down on the Italian mafia, it just made more room for Hispanic, Chinese, and other ethnic gangs. Likewise, if a future black criminal is aborted, there's a good chance that his place will simply be taken by a non-black criminal. A policy of universal abortion for black babies, then, would merely open up opportunities for non-black criminals.

Ticomaya wrote:
I agree Joe. Racist, no ... stupid, yes.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
yitwail wrote:
i'm puzzled why you asked this, since a week ago you agreed with this observation:

Let me soothe your troubled mind: I still think it was stupid and not racist for Bennett to say what he did. But you asked for me to jump in and provide an argument in Finn's absence, so I tried to accomodate your request.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 03:25 pm
then i thank you for accomodating my request as well as my curiosity.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:55 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I have a hard time believing that anyone who would say such things, as a politician, on national radio. is not an inherent racist. I don't care if the statistics match up to what he was saying; it was an idiotic thing to say and Bennett deserves what he is getting.

The truly delicious part of this is that all the Righties defending Bennett don't matter one whit; the man is ruined, and rightly so.

Cycloptichorn

Why is this not hard to believe?

The fellow who advocated a "niggardly" approach to the DC budget must have been a racist. He, like Bennett, should have known that a large segment of the population haven't the intelligence, or education to understand his point, and therefore because he, nevertheless, made his comments; he must be a racist.

Of course you don't care that the statistics match up to what Bennett is saying. He is a conservative, therefore he is wrong!

Notwithstanding the fact that this flap has hardly ruined Bennet, it is telling that the primary point you distill from the matter is that it is "delicious" that a conservative might be involved in a faux pas. To hell with logic and truth...if it can hurt the damned Righties, Cyclo is all for it.

The utter stupidity expressed in this post and others is truly depressing, notwithstanding my already low opinion of Liberals.

What utter tripe.

No borrowing here. Imitiation is the greatest form of flattery.

Bennett isn't wrong because he's a Republican, he's wrong because he could have used any term in order to make his point, as you point out in your last post, and he chose to choose Blacks. It was a stupid thing to do, and he's reaping the rewards of doing it; referring to meaningless physical distinctions between folks is insulting and wrong. He should have known better, it was a stupid thing to do.

A2K is hardly a reliable indicator of the Buzz in the US. I've been in Bermuda since Sunday and so have not kept up with US political heandlines, but I doubt (and prove me wrong if you can) that the Bennet flap has dominated US news since Sunday.

Bennett's comments were stupid only to the extent that he should have, but did not realize the extent of stupidity that prevails American society.
I would argue, until proven otherwise, that Bennett had the right assessment, since he was not likely to focus only on Liberal America.

I have not read Coulter's comments on this issue, but find it very hard to believe that she came out, flatly, with a critque of the Bennett comments as stupid. More likely she is coming from my area which concludes that Bennett was stupid for not appreciating that comments such as he made, irrespective of whether or not they were valid, would cause a fire storm. Coulter and others have accepted the role as Fire Starter, but Bennett is perceived as a Wise Man of conservatism. Despite the fact that there is nothing, at all, invalid about his comments, he has an obligation to better protect the image of conservatism in the US.

Given the context of a radio talk show, it is expecting too much to argue that Bennett should have chosen his words, and examples more wisely.

He responded spontaneously, and in a very intelligent, and benign fashion. What he did not, apparently, have time to consider was the way the Left might chose to misinterpret his comments.

-
I think Bennett has lost his job over this and certainly taken a whole lot of scorn. Forget the WH, I even saw ol' Ann Coulter talking about how he shouldn't have said what he said. That to me is certainly indicative of a politician who has been ruined... his own party turns against him and he loses his job. What do you call it?

You think he has lost his job? Unless you know he has, who the hell cares about your ideologically based suspicions?

I usually feel that the angrier/more scornful you are about a topic, the more correct the opposite poster is, yaknow? Given your history and all.

Well Cyclo, knowing how you gravitate to the most facile of arguments, I'm not surprised that you have reached this absurd conclusion, but since you hold it in some regard perhaps your research on the issue should include your own commentary? I know, I am asking too much of a simple cyclops.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:41 pm
Point of order. The individual who used the word "niggardly" did not advocate a niggardly approach. The word was used as a criticism of a lop-sided budget and the proposed spending cuts were described as "niggardly". Unfortunately, some folks didn't know the actual meaning of the word "niggardly" and the individual with the large vocabulary offered his resignation and sadly, the Mayor accepted it. The Mayor eventually got over the idea of pointing out the rank stupidity of the individuals who got their feathers ruffled, and I believe the man with the vast vocabulary was rehired.

This was not an academic musing nor pontification over the idea of genocide as a way to relieve social problems, nor was it used to point out the absurdity of a political bent.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:14 am
kelticwizard wrote:
I would say that anyone who speaks as Bennett does would have difficulty keeping even a low-level job dealing with the public, such as selling slacks in a Sears menswear department or selling wrenches in a hardware store.

Ticomaya wrote:
And yet with that disability he managed to become the Director/Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities, Secretary of Education, the National "drug czar,"...

Not speaking like that, he didn't.

But refresh my memory. While in office, did Bennett publicize any scenarios where he found merit, albeit overbalanced by a countering argument, in a whole group of people eliminated? If so, please give details.
0 Replies