husker uncovered - holy _____

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:21 pm
So anyway taking everything in stride if I want and need some on-line support I guess this is the crowd I'm going to come clean with. A couple of folks around here know pieces of this and if I was not at risk like I am right now I'd be trying out for " The Biggest Loser" Yep - One time many years ago there was a guy that had a body builder bod and ran 4 miles a day - also consumed 4,000+ calories to maintain that 255 bod. Bad luck strikes in the name of a car wreck that lays we up for about 18 months and for the first 6 I could not carry 5 lbs. Now do the math - big change in activity and no change in diet. 90+ lbs gain

Fast forward to July 2004 said guys gets sick, nearly fatal. Finds out that the scale has crept up 509lbs with shock, disbelief, and denial hmmmm
gained about 100lbs how long ago that I never knew I did. OMG disbelief and denial until another scale showed up. That 11 days in the hospital I lost 35 pounds - let's just say it was burned off.

Everyone was horrified that I weighed as much as I did - part of the reason I cannot have a CAT scan. Doc says let's go natural weightloss and well maybe let's use Meridian (natural for a lot of reasons -later)

So a when I had gotten sick again 3 hospital visits ago I'd lost about 80 lbs with diet and exercise and there was still pressure to do faster if I could and that was pretty much the straw that broke the camels back.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,548 • Replies: 22
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:41 pm
So don't get me wrong - getting rid of the extra pounds is a good thing. But all the Doc (heads) are thinking the best solution, even though there is nothing pointing to weight being the factor and upon having the valves checked in my legs there were no weaknesses or leaks.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:54 pm
target goal is 220lbs
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:28 pm
That's a hell of a target, husker.

There's a pretty good weightloss support thread goin' on around here somethere.

<I'll try and find the link - it's a dang good group there>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
Whether it's the key factor in the staph recurrences, most of us would have no clue, but it may be involved, and it's a smart goal for better long time health. We are absolutely supportive here. It could help to have a local group to meet with too..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:49 pm
All that matters is that you lose one pound... and then another one pound...and another....Don't think in terms of the big number - just think one at a time. That is how they got on you and that is how you will get them off.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
Green Witch wrote:
All that matters is that you lose one pound... and then another one pound...and another....Don't think in terms of the big number - just think one at a time. That is how they got on you and that is how you will get them off.

very good idea
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:01 pm
Has the doc hooked you up with a nutritionist?

They can really be quite helpful - keep you from getting bogged down with blah food choices.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:02 pm
Weren't you just in the hospitallast night? You seem much more coherent post-hospital than you usually do! Glad to see that.

If you make it so you have to keep us updated, maybe you'll hear our collective voice in your head when it's time to put down the fork or go for a long walk.....
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:05 pm
I'm in.

One day at a time, Husker, and I ditto the idea about a nutrionist.

watching in... Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:23 pm
The nutritionist was the most negative part - this one the hospital was just just a career person and was more interested in putting fearin - this lady talked to my Doc? LMAO cause she drove me down. Maybe she just was not the people person type of nutritionist ?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:27 pm
littlek wrote:
Weren't you just in the hospitallast night? You seem much more coherent post-hospital than you usually do!

my fever went away last night at about 10:00pm and I woke at 1:00pm and felt like a million bucks
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:26 pm
This forum never fails to make me say "Owow"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:34 pm
I was thinking of this thread today. How you doin', Husker?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:54 am
Husker- You know that we are with you, all the way.

I would assume that the excess weight might have more than a little to do with the staph infections. Most people have staph on their skin. An overweight person might have folds of skin, that would encourage sweating. Add the rubbing together of certain areas of the damp skin, which would abrade the skin, and allow the staph to take hold as an infection.

As another member mentioned, take it one step at a time. Do not even think of your ultimate goal, as it might appear too daunting. A pound lost here, and a pound lost there, happening consistently, and you will begin to see changes in yourself

We love ya, Husker, and we are all rooting for you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:33 am
I'm with Green Witch, just look at one pound at a time.

I'm going to post later on in the A2k weight loss thread....I watched a PBS show last night about Albert Einstein.

For whatever reason, that E=mc2 clicked in better for me than it ever had, and I could relate it to weight loss.

I've got to get my thoughts together to write it down.

Husker, you can do it!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:51 am
I know other folks with the injury-leads-to-weight-gain-and-other-health-problems syndrome. It sounds like you have the motivation and support to beat it!

Don't skimp (or skimp too much) on replacing your wardrobe as you lose the weight. Enjoy it; it's part of the reward.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
well I've made it back to my smallest belt buckle hole - it slipped back 2 holes a few weeks before the last hospital visit - been on a stall since August or so.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:05 pm
Last night at my best friends home with his kids
http://static.flickr.com/31/51790350_b233e7a072_m.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:19 pm
husker, I think it took an amazing amount of courage to tell us that about yourself.

You are without doubt a beautiful person and I look forward to hearing about it as you once again become a healthy person.

I have every confidence in your success.
0 Replies