German Language Songs - which are the best?

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:45 am
My colleagues and I have been debating which songs would feature on a "Best of German" compilation CD.

Now, everybody's first choice outside the German-speaking world is "99 Luftballoons" and I quite like Die Fantastischen Vier (from what I've heard on MTv).

I know some music by German/Austrian bands which doesn't include German words but that could be from anywhere (Kruger & Dorfmeister; Boozoo Bajou)...so it's songs in the German Language, ideally pop/rock/funk/soul/rap etc., rather than traditional folk or Schubert Lieder! Laughing

Hope you can help - I'm sure my colleagues will be amused.

KP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:29 am
I think, a couple of Herbert Grönemeyer songs would be nice, Maruis Müller Westernhagen as well, and of course BAP (although that's 'Rhinelandish' Laughing ).

My personal choice would be
Spider Murphy Gang - Skandal im Sperrbezirk; Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung - Küss die Hand; Udo Lindenberg & Das Panikorchester - Sonderzug nach Pankow; Torfrock - Beinhart.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7784/arsenalajax1jc.jpg

Glückwunsch! :wink:
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
The songs by Kurt Weill for Bertold Brecht's "Three Penny Opera" are classics (they include "Mack the Knife").
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
Danke, Walter!

I'm currently working (very hard) in Stuttgart!

Peter von der Kueche!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:15 am
<Thinking that there's twice daily a flight between Stuttgart and here ... :wink: >

Yes, those Swabians are hard working people .... http://www.stuttgart-tourist.de/english/images/herz.gif *? Laughing

*click
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:27 pm
My cousins in Germany tell me that English is the language of rock and roll. Native German rock bands write original songs using the English language.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:37 pm
Some. But there are really good German bands, who write their lyrics in German only. Like those, I mentioned above .... and a quite famous group (in the USA as well, even no-one understands them): Ramstein.

The top-hundred in Germany has on 1rst place since two weeks: Tokio Hotel with 'Durch den Monsun' (Through the monsun'), a German boy group. (The next German group/singer is on place 11: Revolverheld, Die Welt steht still - all others are American/English artists.)

Revolverband (a 'shooting star') is, btw, a group playing a music, I like as well website .... and they are engaged in 'anti-Nazi concerts'!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:21 pm
...and what about the "Tote Hosen"? Isn't it a group that's
currently popular?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:27 pm
Well, three years after their last album, "Auswärtsspiel", the brand new album by the Toten Hosen, "Zurück zum Glück" (back to happiness) will be released on October 11.
So they son't have an actual hit ... and are a little bit 'suspicious' due to their songs too often played in the right-wing/nazi scene.

(Their logo: http://www.dietotenhosen.de/pic/header/startseite_en.gif)
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Love the Band Rammstein' singing 'Du Haast' and 'Feuer Frei'

or you could always put that silly 'Schnappi' song on...... Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Some. But there are really good German bands, who write their lyrics in German only. Like those, I mentioned above .... and a quite famous group (in the USA as well, even no-one understands them): Ramstein.

Why have I to listen to that at home so often?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
Rammstein: c'est bien en gros :wink:
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:00 pm
Well 'Rammstein' is a good international German Band. Smile
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 05:19 am
I don't like Rammstein - no, that's not right. I like the music itself. I don't like the way they are singing. That's scary to me.
0 Replies

Jannie

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:36 am
Deutsche Songs Wink
Hey, there are tons of German bands using only the German language. Here are some of my favourite`s:

-Wir sind Helden
-Juli
-Echt

Have fun Smile
0 Replies