Co-pays

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:12 pm
SO little bean is sick.

Last weekend.. well not the weekend the weekend before..
We went to my cousins house for his daughters 4th birthday.
Kids every where..
AND- we are now all sick. Mr Wolf got it first, then I got it, now Bean.

Basically , I know what to do for her when she gets sick.
I know wich meds to give, ow to give them and what to look for as all mothers do. I ended up taking her to the Doc because she spiked a 102.4 fever in a span of 2 hours. WITH tylenol on board..

So doc says-
just ride it out. Monitor her fever, fluid intake, form of her poop.. blah blah blah blah..
She checked her ears, eyes, throat and said she saw signs of an infection , as my concern, and that it wasnt a big enough infection to give her any meds. Basically.. she said and did what she should have done and was a really sweet woman!!!

NOW
I want my damn 25 dollars back. Mad

Why.. if a simple doc office visit is only about.. 150- with no tests done, do we still have to give a co pay?
no meds were given , nothing..
I would think that a co pay would be based on things given, done , or tested for OUTSIDE of the basic office vist..

i want my money back.. Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 934 • Replies: 9
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:42 pm
Co-pay is for the office visit. If labs are done you may end up with extra charges, depending on how good your insurance is.

We happen to have a deductible for meds. They said it was $200, but it turns out to be $200 per person. Really pissed off our controller.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:45 pm
Sorry to hear that Bean is sick.

We just went through that, sniffling, coughing, cranky, mild fever, etc. Ended up with Yaya on antibiotics. Fortunately, that fixed my crankiness. Wink
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:05 pm
200 PER person?

holy cow..
i guess i shouldnt complain that much.

what was wrong with ya-ya? Just a cold?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
She had the start of an ear/sinus infection. They did the wait-and-see thing, then we went back after a few days and they gave us the meds.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:53 pm
Odd thing is - my doctor could order lab tests for me say without going to her office - for example if I thought I was pregnant that is what would happen. I would go directly to the lab, have the test and presto - no co-pay. But say I went to the doctor's office first and then was sent to the lab - I would have $25 co-pay. Lab tests and visits - no co-pay - see the doctor (or even a nurse in her office) - $25.

What I try to do is get a good grasp on any and all symptoms and then call the doctor. In most cases, the doctor knows exactly what it is - gives me details on what to do and when I would need to come in - saves that $25. However, with children under 2, doctor usually wants to see them - just in case.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
Insurance companies like co-pays--$25 is enough that you think before heading for a doctor's office.

Office visits are expensive--but so is running a medical practice. As a rule of thumb, every doctor in a practice means a nurse in the practice and a clerical worker in the practice--and the heat and light and getting the snow off the parking lot and worst of all malpractice insurance.

I'm going to have a $900 coopay bill come across my desk next week. One of the members of Mr. Noddy's extended family is mentally ill. Because of years of heavy smoking she has Chronic, Obstructive, Pulmonary Disease. She's just been hospitalized again with pneumonia. She qualifies for Medicare (80% of the bill) and pays about $900 a year for private insurance. Her income is $835 a month.

The hospital copay helps to make up the hospital deficit from treating patience with no insurance of any sort.

Mess.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Just got back from a meeting about our new benefits package.
My contribution goes up 80%.
I am not thrilled.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:41 pm
I have never learned the ins and outs of insurance from the Doc's point of view.
I have only been subjected to the patients part.
What seems expencive to us, when it comes to what the insurance company pays into it, our part is just pennies..
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:35 am
...but LOTS of pennies.
0 Replies