How much does the toothfairy pay?

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:37 am
My older daughter has not yet lost any of her baby teeth. Most of the kids in her class have lost some - so I realize this first lost tooth will be coming some time soon. Seeing I don't want my daughter to be ostracized simply because her toothfairy did not pay up. What the h*ck is the going rate for a tooth now a days? I even heard that sometimes the fairy leaves a card or other things. What the ….? I remember getting a quarter or some change or something. Just how much money is this going to put me out? Does she leave anything but hard cold cash? I figure what can be better than money?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,318 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
She leaves $1 per tooth at the Ticomaya household, in the form of a freshly pressed bill. I'm not sure if that's the going rate or not ....
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
My six year old granddaughter lives with us, and in our house, $1 is the going rate. Of course, we all know that the tooth fairy likes white shiny teeth, so if the tooth has been brushed three times a day, everyday, then I think $2 dollars in order.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
Oooh ... now I didn't know that. I'm going to have to pass that on. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
I'd say $1 or $2, except more for the very first one. I think I got .25 or .50 a tooth 20 years (god has it been that long!) ago but got something like $5 for the first. I mean, new customer appreciation, right?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:25 pm
I'd go with a dollar... thats what my mom did for me... well my grandparents did for me..

It's the same with those stupid empty easter eggs... my mom would put a few dollars in each one and then realize that my little sister and brother had all her cash....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
I think that given inflation a dollar is fair--although a well-brushed tooth may be worth more.

Before you head out to spend this wealth, settle with the little one who is going to pay the sales tax.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:52 pm
Funny colorbook - I use that too - not the specific dollar amount, but I tell my daughter that the more sparkly, clean and shiny a tooth, the more it is worth to the tooth fairy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:36 pm
The tooth fairy donated $1.00 for each tooth. We had a special ritual to let the tooth fairy know we needed her to come to our house. For each tooth, the entire family would gather, hold hands and sing, "Tooth fairy, tooth fairy, please come to our house." three times together.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm
The Tooth Fairy gave our daughters one dollar a tooth, but never used a dollar bill. The girls saw coins as more like real money than a greenback. Consequently, they received the shiniest fifty-cent pieces we could find--even polished some. I was not smart enough to play the shiny-tooth-for-shiny-coin angle--it's a super idea. If the Tooth Fairy goes to a bank, he or she can find a one-dollar coin--which may have added value to the recipient because kids tend never to see one. For very generous TFs, there is/was a two-dollar coin as well.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm
If she stays up late enough, maybe she can haggle.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
Linkat wrote:
Funny colorbook - I use that too - not the specific dollar amount, but I tell my daughter that the more sparkly, clean and shiny a tooth, the more it is worth to the tooth fairy.

Not only that, but the whiter the tooth , the easier it was for her to see...
so said my mom
on the nights she forgot... Laughing

but - that if it is the brightest tooth the tooth fairy has found THAT night, she uses it for a nightlight to see her way around so it becomes more valuable. She then starts to leave toys WITH money,

i would get a quarter and a plastic ring or something like that for the " really bright white teeth'
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:50 pm
We are in the habit of having her decorate and color an envelope to put the tooth in…so it won't get lost under the pillow. Her mother has saved all her lost teeth so far...all six of them Smile

J_B, I love the idea of the tooth fairy song Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:12 pm
My daughter this morning insisted she had a loose tooth - forgot to check it on her way into school - but I suspect it is just wishful thinking. Any way she asked if she could keep it for a while before leaving it for the tooth fairy. This may actually be a good idea just in case - the tooth fairy can't get to the bank.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:21 pm
Grim thought: Those teeth can be a source of identifying DNA.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:26 pm
good point.

unfortunatly
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:31 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Not only that, but the whiter the tooth , the easier it was for her to see...
so said my mom
on the nights she forgot... Laughing

but - that if it is the brightest tooth the tooth fairy has found THAT night, she uses it for a nightlight to see her way around so it becomes more valuable. She then starts to leave toys WITH money,

i would get a quarter and a plastic ring or something like that for the " really bright white teeth'

Cute story Very Happy

I never knew anyone that got toys from the tooth fairy.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:53 am
me neither
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:35 am
smile My daughter got 20 dollars for her very first tooth and 1 for everyone after. She put part of it in her "bank account" and spent 5 of it. She really likes to give the money to the lady at the store and getting her stuff. Also loves the bank thing.
0 Replies

arji

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:19 pm
I would imagine it would depend on if you used the tooth fairy myth as a process to develop the imagination or a bribe to get white teeth.

The showy stuff is worth more than the intellectual stuff.

My mom always stole the tooth fairy's money. <smiles, but it's true>

Is the dollar amount important? What is the point of a tooth fairy, anyway?
0 Replies