Rainsoft Amazon Troubleshooting

slickneo

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
Rainsoft Gold Series Installation
Does anyone know or have an installation diagram for the RainSoft Gold Series Unit?

Thanks for the help!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:01 am
Re: Rainsoft Gold Series Installation
slickneo wrote:
Does anyone know or have an installation diagram for the RainSoft Gold Series Unit?

Thanks for the help!

Looking at the valve from the front, the inlet is on the right and the outlet is on the left. Look for the directional arrows that are molded into the valve body.

HTH ~
0 Replies

NYinVA

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:46 am
Salty Water problem - RainSoft System
Hello! I too have a multitank RainSoft water treatment system including a brine tank. My problem doesn't occur after every backwash; however, it has happened several times! After the system goes trhough its regeneration, we endup having extremely salty water in the plumbing. I'm assuming salt is getting sucked into the system through the brine tank. Last time it happened, I looked into the brine tank where I saw plenty of salt pelletes but no brine! Any ideas? Thanks in advance. NY
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
Re: Salty Water problem - RainSoft System
NYinVA wrote:
Hello! I too have a multi tank RainSoft water treatment system including a brine tank. My problem doesn't occur after every backwash; however, it has happened several times! After the system goes though its regeneration, we end up having extremely salty water in the plumbing. I'm assuming salt is getting sucked into the system through the brine tank. Last time it happened, I looked into the brine tank where I saw plenty of salt pellets but no brine! Any ideas? Thanks in advance. NY

It could be a low pressure during regeneration problem.
Is more than one tank regenerating at the same time?
Are you on a well? Does your water pressure ever drop below 40 psi?

Check and post what you find. Post a picture if you can.
0 Replies

NYinVA

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:09 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply H2OMAN!

There are three tanks with the old brass control valves and timers set to regenerate one hour apart (start times)

I am on a well but I don't think the water pressure drops below 40 psi.

EDIT: just double checked the system. Pressure remains between 45 and 65 psi as water is running. Clocks are set correctly on all three timers and regeneration is set to start one hour apart on the three tanks. There is brine in the brine tank at the moment.

NY
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:24 am
NYinVA wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply H2OMAN!

There are three tanks with the old brass control valves and timers set to regenerate one hour apart (start times)

I am on a well but I don't think the water pressure drops below 40 psi.

EDIT: just double checked the system. Pressure remains between 45 and 65 psi as water is running. Clocks are set correctly on all three timers and regeneration is set to start one hour apart on the three tanks. There is brine in the brine tank at the moment.

NY

Understood.

Give the softener an exclusive 3 hour window were no water is being used by anything else and see it that solves your problem.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
Go to the I was off by 600 thread h20_man started yesterday and save the copy of the Fleck 5000/ProFlo manual. Then use it to set up your softener.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:43 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
... save the copy of the Fleck 5000/ProFlo manual. Then use it to set up your softener.

Laughing What a turd!

The RainSoft version uses different controls than Fleck.
RainSoft Gold series has a proprietary computer control board.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:21 pm
His question was about an INSTALLATION MANUAL.

And the valve body in his pictures of a Gold Series Rainsoft looks identical to the pictures of the Silver Series Rainsoft control you historically but wrongly called a "bastardized Fleck 5600" that is really a Fleck 5000/ProFlo. So all he has to do is follow that manual's INSTALLATION instructions.

You should see that the "control board", more correctly called the circuit board, has nothing to do with his question about installation of a softener.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:28 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
His question was about an INSTALLATION MANUAL.

Since when do you care about anyone but yourself?
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
Since I was choir boy, Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout in the 1950s.

A couple times in my civilian life I've literally risked my life to help total strangers at my nonrecoverable expense. I've also voluntarily donated five years to protect everyone's rights to be whatever but especially silly immature adolescent foul mouthed ego driven dumb asses.

And over the last 10.5 years I have donated many thousands of hours answering questions just like in this thread in Usenet newsgroups (Google Groups now) and forums like this one plus emails and toll free phone calls (that I paid for).

And yes, I have a thriving online business because of my answering those questions, posts, emails and phone calls and I am totally amazed at that and extremely grateful for it.

BTW, I was a local dealer from 1987-12/2004 but I never sold a thing online until mid 2002 (I used email) and I didn't have a web site until Sept 2003, dinky as it is. That's with the help of justalurker, AndyC and others like you, and the untold numbers of unheard others.

Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:06 am
Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

It's not what you say - it's what you do.
0 Replies

mrobbins

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:09 am
Rainsoft maintenance - how often, how much cost?
We, likewise, would like to avoid the high maintenance costs that Rainsoft quotes.

We purchased a Rainsoft EC4 water filter system a little over a year ago. We were unaware that it would need yearly maintenance. Does this filter system really need to have the filters/filtration tank/neutralizer tank changed yearly? We were surprised and outraged at the price we were told for maintenance. We don't want to cause the system problems, so if it should be replaced yearly, we will do so to keep it running correctly. However, we were unaware of the maintenance that would be necessary. The original price tag was outrageous enough without additional costs yearly.

Any info that can be provided from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:18 am
An Acid Neutralizer contains sacrificial media that needs to be refreshed/re bed every 12 months or so.
I have some that are serviced every 6 months and some every 18 months, but most are serviced every
12 months - it all depends on your water and usage.

I will need to know exactly what other filters you have before I can spell out suggested maintenance.

Note: ALL water treatment equipment requires some kind of periodic maintenance/service.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:34 am
Sorry to hear you got ripped off, mrobbins.

Replacing acid neutralizing mineral is like draining your car's gas tank before each refill. It's senseless.

Paying someone to do simple maintenance like changing filter cartridges is expensive but, if you bought equipment that has proprietary parts you are usually required to buy the parts from probably only one dealer. If they then won't sell you the parts for you to do it yourself, you must pay their price for service including them bringing the parts with them. Many to most national brand companies are proprietary, independent and online dealers are not.

No control valve requires annual service.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:39 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

Replacing acid neutralizing mineral is like draining your car's gas tank before each refill. It's senseless.

Letting an acid neutralizer run empty negates it's effectiveness to elevate your Ph. Waiting until the tank is just about empty is not cost effective.

Quote:
Rolling Eyes Umm, what? Why are you talking about control valves when the subject is filter and an Acid Neutralizer?
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:44 am
Any AN filter that requires you to add mineral every 6 months is undersized for the volume of water used by the family and the water quality.

No control valve requires annual service. If you have one that does, you're much better off replacing it with a better quality control valve. Like the Clack WS-1.
0 Replies

mrobbins

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
Thanks for the quick reply H20_MAN
H2O_MAN wrote:
An Acid Neutralizer contains sacrificial media that needs to be refreshed/re bed every 12 months or so.
I have some that are serviced every 6 months and some every 18 months, but most are serviced every
12 months - it all depends on your water and usage.

I will need to know exactly what other filters you have before I can spell out suggested maintenance.

Note: ALL water treatment equipment requires some kind of periodic maintenance/service.

I just called the local service people. The lady, despite several times asking, didn't tell me exactly what parts need service. And, I can't find where my husband put the papers/manual that came with the system. So, I'm not sure what filters all need maintenance. However, she said we should be able to wait until October to get the maintenance (18 months from our purchase date), so it sounds like they are being honest based on your previous reply.

The cost is $395. Sounds high to me, but maybe you know better?

Another question for you... when our salt tank gets low, there is brown slimy looking stuff at the bottom. Is this just from dirty salt, or part of what is getting filtered out? Should we clean it off before adding more salt, and how do we do that? Also, our salt alarm never goes off. Or maybe we don't hear it? Does it matter if the salt tank runs completely out of salt. It's happened before and we noticed it since the water no longer felt "soft"

Thanks again for your advice!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:46 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

No control valve requires annual service. If you have one that does, you're much better off replacing it with a better quality control valve. Like the Clack WS-1.

Not that Clack Crap again! Rolling Eyes

You are the only one talking about control valves. You would be better off staying on topic.
0 Replies

mrobbins

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:49 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
Sorry to hear you got ripped off, mrobbins.

Paying someone to do simple maintenance like changing filter cartridges is expensive but, if you bought equipment that has proprietary parts you are usually required to buy the parts from probably only one dealer. If they then won't sell you the parts for you to do it yourself, you must pay their price for service including them bringing the parts with them. Many to most national brand companies are proprietary, independent and online dealers are not.

Gary,

Thanks for your response as well. You guys are funny. You obviously don't agree on much from what I've read here. I'm not even sure we have an acid neutralizer since the postcard stated I need service "depending on my equipment". Since I don't know what my equipment it, who knows??? You both agree that the filters need service, so that's good! I believe that is all they are doing, but the price surpised me. We do have the tank system and a separate water drinking filter on the sink.

Melissa
0 Replies