All Time Horseradish Experts: Jews or Japanese?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:56 pm
cicerone....Don't put it on your scalp, of course that will make it itch.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
LOL glitterbag.

Hamburger and ci--I've heard about spicy and strong smelling foods being good for one's health. Hot pepper, horseradish, garlic are all good for all sorts of things. They were also necessary, as one of you mentioned for keeping food from spoiling. I don't know what on earth I'd do without a refrigerator, but I love the results of having to use spices.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:10 pm
"Don't put it on your scalp, of course that will make it itch."

Gosh darn it! My ma never told me!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Horseradish, ground beets, vinegar ,cranberries (lots) and honey makes one of the best cranberry relishes. You try it, Youll say
"thank you Farmerman for such a taste sensation"

Eating food should not be an occasion for clearing out sinuses. You can at least wait till after youve had yer coffee.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:37 pm
........and make sure that a large napkin is available.

..........Horseradish.....

http://www.horseradish.org/history.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:48 pm
A little trivia on Japanese wasabi. Japan had the monopoly on Japanese wasabi until a Oregon farmer went to Japan and replanted them in Oregon. He's taken away business from Japan, and many Japanese restaurants in the US now buy from the Oregon farmer. I'm not sure whether it's our "farmerman," but I have a sneaking suspicion about him.... Very Happy Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
Don't care I enjoy both flavoes Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:54 pm
Chili - capsicum, different that horseradishness. Me, I like both, a sensation freak I am.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:05 pm
can he add hot mustard?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:26 pm
Recently, the found the oldest relics od horsereadish in a tomb somwhere in Bavaria.

When you ask someone here in Europe, everyone would suggest either the Bavarians or the Austrians to be horseradish experts - they 'invented' it. (The first written recipes are in Austrian/Bavarian scripts[leaving aside that Cato and Pliny the Elder wrote about it as well :wink: ].)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:28 pm
Ahh, Pliny, the father..

I read and then tossed a best seller type book, recently, called Pompeii.

Now I am sort of sorry I tossed it, I learned a lot of info from it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
Farmerman, Could you provide loose proportions of ingredients for your beet/cranberry/horseradish recipe. Like one half this and one third that. I've never heard of it, but I think I'm in love already.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:52 pm
Me too!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:16 pm
horseradish
check here for all the...HORSERADISH RECIPES...you ever wanted to see. keep a large napkin ready if your sinuses should start to drain - unexpectedly. hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:34 pm
hamburger--

I didn't see Edgar's cranberry jelly. I did find lots of things to try.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:07 pm
noddy : edgar's cranberry jelly is probably protected by a trademark, wouldn't you think ? hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:19 pm
Hamburger--

He's holding out on us for money? But he seems like such a nice, unmercenary man.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:23 pm
"But he seems like such a nice, unmercenary man. "
of course, but there is nothing wrong with a little income on the side. (or as ehbeth likes to say : cash is an asset)
remember : charity begins at home . hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
Cash is the best "asset." Lots of it.
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:19 am
Wy wrote:
Horseradish and wasabi are two different things. A definition of Horseradish I found does include "sauce made from similar roots, such as wasabi," but a Wasabi website warns, "Don't be fooled. The green smooth textured clump on the side of your sushi dish is rarely real wasabi. More commonly it is ordinary horseradish with food coloring added."

So they each are World Authorities; the Jews on Horseradish and the Japanese on Wasabi...

But the best wasabi has to be when you are given a wasabi root and a small grater (as I was in a non-tourist, Tokyo restaurant in the Iidabashi district) to grate as much or as little as you like to accompany the food. No food colouring, no confusion with horseradish Smile
0 Replies