All Time Horseradish Experts: Jews or Japanese?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
My daughter-in-law and I had a spirited discussion about a commercial brand of kosher wasabi sauce.

She thinks that the Japanese are The World Authority on horseradish.

I feel that the Jews have an equally authorative tradition.

Any comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,804 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:55 pm
Horseradish and wasabi are two different things. A definition of Horseradish I found does include "sauce made from similar roots, such as wasabi," but a Wasabi website warns, "Don't be fooled. The green smooth textured clump on the side of your sushi dish is rarely real wasabi. More commonly it is ordinary horseradish with food coloring added."

So they each are World Authorities; the Jews on Horseradish and the Japanese on Wasabi...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:35 pm
Wy--

They could use you in the China Sea and the Gaza Strip.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
Horseradish is a condiment that the JEws took from the Slavic countries. It was used as an accompaniment for various meats and fruits. The jews adopted it and included it in their "bitter herbs" list.

Horse radish on kielbasi is the greatest made-for-each-other food out there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:49 pm
Farmerman--

Gingersnaps and a good cheddar are up there in the top ten, too.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:52 pm
Nobody on earth could beat my mother's home-made horseradish. Nobody. (And she made a mean mustard, too, from mustard powder, vinegar and salt. The propotion is everything.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 02:52 pm
Merry Andrew--

Was your mother Jewish, Japanese or Other?

When my mother was a child and Cousin Billy needed drinkin' money, he would go house to house offering to grate horseradish--a necessary but essential job in the days of the old fashioned ice box.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:55 pm
Noddy, my mother was "other." But Eastern European which might explain it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:13 pm
The Eastern European women I've met would never be daunted by horseradish. Did she grow her own?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:14 pm
horseradish
horseradish (called "meerrettich" in germany, "kren" in austria") has been used in germany for centuries. it is considered a health-giving food and it is claimed that eating horseradish may prevent the flu.
it was my father's job to prepare horseradish at christmas-time (to be eaten - sparingly -as a condiment with the traditional meal of "carp" on christmas-eve). he would grate fresh horseradish and mix it with plain whipped cream - no sugar. we would usually stay out of the kitchen while the horseradish was being grated, but run in and out quickly to get a whiff of the pungent horseradish - once it was mixed with a little whipped cream it would become less pungent. of course while we knew that too much of it would make our eyes water, we would after a careful start scoop up a little too much of it and the tears would roll. hbg

http://www.schamel.de/german/urgesund_pics/urges_abb.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:17 pm
I don't know the answer to your question, but horseradish, like hot Mexican food, makes my nose drip.
Betcha that's more than you ever wanted to know.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:18 pm
BTW, find Roberta, she's been posting a little after a long break. As a nice (she would challenge the 'nice' part) Jewish girl from the Bronx, she just might be the resident expert here.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:18 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The Eastern European women I've met would never be daunted by horseradish. Did she grow her own?

Dad was the gardener, mother the cook. He once grew one perfect lemon in a large flower pot in the greenhouse. I didn't know what lemons were supposed to taste like until I took a little bit from this. Your lips aren't supposed to pucker up.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:39 pm
diane : your nose is supposed to drip when you smell horseradish; it's actually clearing your sinuses. it's one of the the "health-giving" properties of the horseradish. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:45 pm
horseradish
Nasal Congestion

Nothing works faster to clear clogged sinuses than horseradish, Gladstar says. The oils in this plant boost circulation in your nasal passages, which then loosens mucus. Mix a teaspoon of grated fresh horseradish with a little apple cider vinegar or honey, and eat it on toast (the vinegar and honey take the edge off the potent horseradish taste). Inhale deeply as you grate the horseradish; the fumes alone will start breaking up your congestion

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
In my opinion, it would be the patrons of New York and Baltimore deli's.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:21 pm
Glitterbag--

I'd guess there would be more Jews than Japanese in an NYC deli.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:38 pm
I don't know Noddy, maybe in the 1940's.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:52 pm
Many cultures use chili and hot spice on their food to kill bacteria and "other" germs. When my wife and I went to a local Mexican restaurant this past week, a Hispanic lady in front of us said she loves hot spice because it's good for her health.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 06:52 pm
I love spicy food, but not so hot that my scalp itches. Wink
0 Replies