dlowan

Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:07 am
Yes...you're right about the reactions to death....except the Linney character, who couldn't cope with birth?

The aboriginal stuff was such an oddd mixture of reality (the bodies etc of the actors) and wise, noble savage stuff...I guess you could look at it that the redemption, and the quietening of the unquiet spirits for the white folk, was to do with facing up to the badness of not reacting appropriately to the body, (and 200 odd years of stuff before that, sort of symbolized by the drowned town? And the landscape?)

The serial murderer sort of seemed a tacked on thing, for the American audiences?

The wasp? Weird.

Was that fella supposed to have been driven nuts by the town flooding? He was muttering about the electricity, wasn't he?

That would be a full circle of undealt with stuff coming back to haunt, but a bit twee maybe?
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:26 am
dlowan wrote:
Yes...you're right about the reactions to death....except the Linney character, who couldn't cope with birth?

Yes, but she was also the one who went to the most excruciatingly painful lengths to try to atone for the disrespectful manner in which the men had treated the body of the young woman.

Quote:
The aboriginal stuff was such an odd mixture of reality (the bodies etc of the actors) and wise, noble savage stuff...I guess you could look at it that the redemption, and the quietening of the unquiet spirits for the white folk, was to do with facing up to the badness of not reacting appropriately to the body, (and 200 odd years of stuff before that, sort of symbolized by the drowned town? And the landscape?).

Yes, I think so, too.

Quote:
The serial murderer sort of seemed a tacked on thing, for the American audiences?.

I was wondering if the serial murderer featured in Carver's original (US) story? Which was transplanted to the Oz setting by Ray Lawrence. Apparently Robert Altmann (sp?) had made a film of it & gave Lawrence the rights (which he owned) to make his film. Have you seen Short Cuts? I haven't, so I'm not sure how Altmann treated the story.

Quote:
The wasp? Weird.

And a very sudden ending! (Something to do with death, I guess?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:48 am
Just wondering what the disrespect had to do with the "no women" thing, too....
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 22 Jul, 2006 08:52 am
Hmmmm ... I'll have to think a bit more about that, Deb. There was a mention, I think (I can't remember who by), of whether they'd have treated a male body in this way. Then again, would they have treated a white corpse in this way?
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:03 am
Come to think of it, Deb, the appearance of the female corpse sort of intruded on their idyllic annual male only escape from their hard lives (including their troubled marriages - apart from the youngest fellow)in Jindabyne.
(but I'll bet you're fast asleep by now! Laughing )
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:24 am
msolga wrote:
Come to think of it, Deb, the appearance of the female corpse sort of intruded on their idyllic annual male only escape from their hard lives (including their troubled marriages - apart from the youngest fellow)in Jindabyne.
(but I'll bet you're fast asleep by now! Laughing )

Yep...that was exactly what I thought....and he was the one who cut short the trip.

I am dyeing my hair....no bed for a bit...
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 23 Jul, 2006 05:09 am
Be back in a day or so, Deb, with a few other aspects I'd like to discuss, if that's OK.

Right now I'm pooped .... been walking for hours this afternoon, got thoroughly drenched in the rain .... returned home not too long ago. Early to bed tonight, I think.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:54 am
Wow. Saw The Book of Revelation this afternoon & am not quite certain to make of it. ...... Except that it was visually stunning, the plot kept everyone on the edge of their seats (& very anguished at times), & Tom Long was amazingly convincing. (rather beautiful, too! Very Happy )
I'd love to discuss this when any of you see it!

So I thought I'd see what Margaret & David made of it:

MARGARET: David.

DAVID: This is a very, very unusual one.

MARGARET: Yes.

DAVID: When I came out of this film I thought I've never seen a film like this before, a film that tackled these themes, a film that was so provocative, tantalising. And I was left in many ways puzzling, and I'm still in some ways puzzling, over what we were supposed to come away with from the film. .......
<& more, including film revue & some film footage in the link>

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s1720198.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:22 am
.... & another review:

The Book of Revelation
Philippa Hawker, Reviewer
September 6, 2006/the AGE

Ana Kokkinos' The Book of Revelation is being spoken of as a risky film, and rightly so.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/06/Bookof_060906022556230_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Tom Long in The Book of Revelation.

ANA Kokkinos' The Book of Revelation is being spoken of as a risky film, and rightly so, although perhaps not for the obvious reasons. It's not so much for the nature of the sexual acts that it depicts, or the themes about male and female desire that it tackles. Where it takes risks is in the uncompromising seriousness of its tone. ...... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/film-reviews/the-book-of-revelation/2006/09/06/1157222194445.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:30 am
We dont get 10 canoes until October. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:33 am
I haven't seen it yet, dadpad. (So many good films on at the moment!) I think Deb said she had & really liked it.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:37 am
...... but with holidays starting on Friday I intend to indulge in a few "half price Mondays" at the Nova (in Lygon St) & catch up a bit! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:45 am
dadpad wrote:
We dont get 10 canoes until October. Rolling Eyes

So what's showing now?
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:54 am
double feature at swanpool cinema

separate Lies
M 85 min UK 2006 Director Julian Fellowes Stars Tom Wilkinson, Emily Watson, Rupert Everett
A cyclist dies in a hit-and-run accident on the outskirts of a picturesque English village, leading to a trail of deception that has unexpected consequences. A great cast includes Tom Wilkinson as a London solicitor caught up in his work and neglecting his marriage, Emily Watson as his wife, while Rupert Everett lurks mysteriously in the background.

River Queen
M 110 min NZ 2006 Director Vincent Ward Stars Samantha Morton, Cliff Curtis, Temuera Morrison, Kiefer Sutherland
Historical drama set in the beautiful NZ wilderness during the bloody battles between the Maoris and the British in the 1860s. The story follows the seven year search by a young Irish mother up and down the majestic Wanganui River for her kidnapped son, whose father is Maori. When finally reunited with him, her loyalties are divided.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:01 am
Interesting line-up, dadpad.
I've heard a bit about River Queen but haven't seen it.
Are you are regular at the Swanpool?
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:09 am
we arn't regular movie goers msolga. The swanpool cinema is our only option if we do want to see a movie. Its about 20 min drive from us.
we do have a good live theatre/arts scene here. Last fri we saw Embers produced by hothouse theater company from Albury in conjunction with the Sydney theatre company EMBERS
it was moving but I doubt city folk would find it so.

Quote:
Embers, a new Australian play written by Campion Decent, is an extraordinary account of the 2003 Victorian bush-fires; the heart-stopping tales of survival, the awe-inspiring toughness, the communities that, when put to the test, showed the immense strength of the human spirit to survive.
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
dadpad wrote:
....it was moving but I doubt city folk would find it so.

You'd be surprised, dadpad! They probably would, actually.
Me, I grew up in the country, lived on a farm for years & it's impossible to feel detachment from the drama & tragedy of the (seemingly) annual fires! It's something that touches most people.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:13 am
Saw Last Train to Freo this afternoon.

Hmmmm ...

Some very positive aspects & some parts of the plot a wee bit far-fetched.

Anyone else seen it yet?
0 Replies

dadpad

Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:06 am
msolga wrote:
Saw Last Train to Freo this afternoon.

Hmmmm ...

Some very positive aspects & some parts of the plot a wee bit far-fetched.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Based on a stage play currently/recently running in Melbourne I believe. Mumpad want to see it.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:34 am
That's interesting, dadpad. I though It had the feel of a play.
0 Replies