CerealKiller

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:24 am
To impress Jodie Foster.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:44 am
McTag wrote:
The first casualty of war is....?

Remember Secretary Powell's WMD speech. How convincing he was. And he was wrong on every point.

The best bit were the intercepts of discussion among Saddam's generals about how best to hide the wmd. The audience had tears rolling down their faces.

...and the little phial of anthrax capable of wiping out New York.

Never in the field of human diplomacy has such a jerk been made of one man before so many.

No wonder Powell says he was given duff intelligence. Pity he didnt use his own intelligence before his presentation.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:35 am
Former Powell Aide Says Bush Policy Is Run by 'Cabal'

By BRIAN KNOWLTON
Published: October 21, 2005
Quote:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 20 - Secretary of State Colin Powell's former chief of staff has offered a remarkably blunt criticism of the administration he served, saying that foreign policy had been usurped by a "Cheney-Rumsfeld cabal," and that President Bush has made the country more vulnerable, not less, to future crises.

The comments came in a speech Wednesday by Lawrence Wilkerson, who worked for Mr. Powell at the State Department from 2001 to early 2005. Speaking to the New America Foundation, an independent public-policy institute in Washington, Mr. Wilkerson suggested that secrecy, arrogance and internal feuding had taken a heavy toll in the Bush administration, skewing its policies and undercutting its ability to handle crises.

"I would say that we have courted disaster, in Iraq, in North Korea, in Iran, generally with regard to domestic crises like Katrina, Rita - and I could go on back," he said. "We haven't done very well on anything like that in a long time."

Mr. Wilkerson suggested that the dysfunction within the administration was so grave that "if something comes along that is truly serious, truly serious, something like a nuclear weapon going off in a major American city, or something like a major pandemic, you are going to see the ineptitude of this government in a way that will take you back to the Declaration of Independence."

Mr. Wilkerson, a retired Army colonel and former director of the Marine Corps War College, said that in his years in or close to government, he had seen its national security apparatus twisted in many ways. But what he saw in Mr. Bush's first term "was a case that I have never seen in my studies of aberration, bastardizations" and "perturbations."

"What I saw was a cabal between the vice president of the United States, Richard Cheney, and the secretary of defense, Donald Rumsfeld, on critical issues," he said.

The former aide referred to Mr. Bush as someone who "is not versed in international relations, and not too much interested in them, either." He was far more admiring of the president's father, whom he called "one of the finest presidents we've ever had."

Mr. Wilkerson has long been considered a close confidant of Mr. Powell, but their relationship has apparently grown strained at times - including over the question of unconventional weapons in Iraq - and the former colonel said Mr. Powell did not approve of his latest public criticisms.

As to Powell's approval. I have long ago lost any respect for that man. He allowed himself to become the punching bag of the Bush administration.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:09 pm
goodfielder wrote:
real life wrote:

Well I guess if YOU have decided, then that's it.

No point taking the word of someone who has actually BEEN THERE. Rolling Eyes

Hah - real life the weakest witness in a case is always the eye witness, they are frequently very wrong about what they thought they saw.

Steve (as 41oo) speaking to Khodada: "Who are you going to believe? Me, or your own eyes?" Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:31 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Finn - seriously - I admire your ability to not get upset at some things.

Steve-O Old Son, I am going to take your seriously - not so much because I trust you, but because I agree (in general) with your observation, and because it gives rise to a subject with which I am facinated...(no, not me), cyber-relations.

Truth be told, I do get upset at a few things posted on A2K, but they tend to be comments which strike me as monumentally ignorant; almost never insults or ad hominems.

I don't know why the slings and arrows of outrageous A2Kers would or should upset me. A2K is a cyber-forum, a place where we can indulge in intellectual freedom and masquerade. I fully realize that for any number of posters, A2K is a concrete community, and they may actually dislike Finn D'Abuzz, but I resist their desire (concious or otherwise) to impose the constraints of the material world on this cyber-haven.

A2K insults are a stimulus, not an affront.

I would take one point in issue though. "Ample" is frequently a eupehmism for "big" which is a euphemism for "fat". If that avatar has a fat rear end I need my computer checked Very Happy

My usage of "ample" was consistent with several dictionary definitions, and with no euphemistic intent:

Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity.

Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.

More than enough: ample evidence.

Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose:

Ample is not a euphemisim for "big," any more than is Rubenesque.

It may be used as a euphemisism for "fat," but that's sloppy usage, and not employed by me.

Englishmajor's avatar has an ample derriere. It invokes a cartoonish lust which should, in no way, be interpreted as an insult.

When someone employs an actual photo of themselves as an avatar (a facinating choice in itself) I am quite sensitive about commenting upon it. I will admit that I've mistaken at least one woman as a man, but that was an innocent mistake, with no offense intended.

Sorry for the drift, please resume normal hostile relations Razz

And now I return to our regularly scheduled programming.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:38 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Well, I guess I missed something here. I thought this thread was about why America attacked Iraq, not about someone's avatar? I suppose if Finn does not have a valid argument, then he resorts to name calling? Finn, could we get back on the subject? BTW I checked the avatar in question - no ampleness there!

Name calling?

Other than "pachelbel you dullwitted ignoramus," when did I resort to name calling?

By the way, your best bet to staying on the subject is to dispense with these anemic sorties against me.

(See Steve-O?!)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 11:29 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Very interesting, indeed. Of course that is why there is a war in Iraq. I am trying to convince someone on another thread that 9/11 was planned well before in order to get Americans whipped up to such a patriotic fever that they'd want to go to war. Which they did. America is desperate for oil and will stop at nothing to get it.

The next war I see on the horizon, I think, will be for fresh water........

Not, I'm afraid it is not, and if you succeed in convincing "someone on another thread" that 9/11 was planned ....please reveal their identities so I may ignore each and every posting they make.

The power of ideological hysteria to stultify native intelligence is astounding.

Was oil a factor in the war in Iraq? Of course!

Would anyone in the West really care about what happened to a bunch of ignorant towel heads in the Middle East if they weren't sitting on the continued font of 21st century energy? Of course not, just look at Africa.

Oil attracts our gaze to the Middle East. Oil is why we have international terrorists. Oil is why Israel has not been free to crush the Palestinian vermin once and for all. Oil is why the Saudis have financed Wahabi Jihadists around the globe. Oil is why Mr Nobel Peace Prize - Jimmy Carter propped up the Shah of Iran. Oil is why Canada is prepared to drop her ecological britches to suck the foul crude from Canadian sands. Oil is why the monster Saddam was supported by The West. Oil is why a evil rat like Yassir Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize.

If only Lawrence of Arabia had oil to play!

For all of you gadflies who would open our eyes to the influence of oil...no fu*king kidding!

Now, let's return to Iraq.

If the United States was truly ruled by a cohort of venal scumbags, owned by American oil interests, would they really have invaded Iraq?

Would it not have been much easier for these soulless puppets of American petro-interests to accommodate Saddam in any way he thought fit? Hell, the French and Russians followed this avenue. Were our oil-interest puppets just not venal s.o.b.s but moronic ones at that?

Corporations in general (irrespective of whether or not they are domiciled in the US or are tied to oil) are compelled by the capital markets to achieve short term successes. Check it out, the War in Iraq did not drive US oil company stocks consistently up. Au contraire. The war in Iraq, perforce, reduced Iraqi oil production. There may have been a time when big ass companies looked to the long terms, but no more. If oil interests in America were trying to influence Bush it was in terms of keeping things stable in the Middle East. I would bet considerably large sums of money on the fact that oil industry magnates (unaffected by their ideology) were not in favor of invading Iraq.

The ideological idiots would have us believe that Corp Bloodsuckers make their decisions based solely upon the impact on profits and share price (In reality it has a lot more to do with share price than profits. One might think the two are inextricably woven, but they are, alas, not.), and maybe they do. However this is not consistent with the notion that the Corp Bloodsuckers will also influence (if not command) the White House to take actions that hold no promise for immediate profits or increased share price.

Sorry folks, but even the Bad Guys have to be consistent or they will soon be nonexistent.

And yet....there may very well be future wars based upon fresh water. Insightful, unless one is parroting a futurist. In any case substitute water for oil. The political and economic dynamics will be the same. The geography, of course, will not. When water significantly supercedes oil as a crucial natural resource, the Middle East will retreat back towards the Stone Age, and Canada (Hoo-yeah EM!) will become the new Saudi Arabia.

But hell those lovely Canuks...give them the pivot point of the global economy and they will lead us to the Promised Land!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 11:58 pm
goodfielder wrote:
englishmajor is perceptive about the war for water. I live in an arid country (well much of it is arid) and water is a political issue here and very much an economic one. We have some people telling us that water is too cheap and that we need to pay more for it so that we conserve it better. They do have a point, I will concede that, but making a commodity of water only means it goes to the wealthiest, not that it's conserved and used properly.

Hooyah EM!

As for China - what a scary, gloomy picture. Western capitalist economies singing the praises of a nominally communist, absolutely totalitarian system which is rapacious in its consumption of resources. Capitalism is seeding its own destruction (okay I nicked that from good old Karl) by sucking up big time to China.

How is this a gloomy picture?

I tend to agree with what I perceive your point to be, that China is by no means assured to be the next Primo Economic power on earth.

Do you really think that Western capitalists are about to bet the farm on China? Some, undoubtedly, will, and these bold folks will either become the next wave of Magnates or Paupers.

Gosh you Lefties need to either spend more time in corporations or do a whole lot more research. I trust that you will do neither and fully expect that you will continue to parrot the Lefty bilge about Big Bad Corporate America taking the whole effin world down with them.

Here is the disconnect:

Those who yearn to take America down a peg will consstently tell us to look out for China. Good effin Lord ( whoa, that's a religious thread waiting to burst) we better all start to learn Mandarin (Hey wait a minute. didn't these same people, in the 80"s, tell us we all better start learning Japanese, and how to read a Nippo business card?)

These same experts will tell us that the end of the American Empire is inevitable because of

- Excessively disparate relations between the Haves and the Have Nots
- Militarism
- Restrictions on personal liberties
- Environmental degradation
- Slavery to non-renewable energy sources

Duh, China?

Considering that economic, social, and politcal dynamics tend to effect each and every nation in much the same way, is there any logical conclusion other than the critics of America have a pathological hatred for the US of A?!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:06 am
Momma Angel wrote:
pachelbel wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Laughing

Crying or Very sad Momma Angel, I am disappointed in you, of all people! I have read many threads and gather you are Christian? Yet you can agree with what Finn Duh Buzz said and even laugh at his vulgar use of language concerning someone's avatar? Ohhhhhh.....bad. Shame on you!

pachelbel,

I was not agreeing with what Finn said. And what I was laughing at was his use of the word ample.

And yes, pachelbel, I am Christian. I am also human and I also have a sense of humor. I got a giggle out of one little word he used and unfortunately, I didn't make that very clear.

Being Christian doesn't mean being perfect. Disappointed in me? Why? Sweetie, never ever put someone above being able to make mistakes or disagree with you. You will find you will always be disappointed.

And Finn, I do not agree with most of what you say. I just did get a giggle out of your use of the word. Plain and simple.

Momma, don't allow the likes of pachelbel to corner you. You don't need to justify your smiley or go on record as disagreeing with the Big Bad Finn.

Pachy's disappointment with you is so much chaff.

But if you so disagree with me, please be more specific so that I may counter and attempt to corner you into declaring Pachy as a soulless sybarite!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:36 am
Finn,

I have to admit your sense of humor does intrigue me. I will have to get back with you a bit later. Actually, I think the only thing I didn't agree with was the use of any namecalling. I did want to ask you something about a post though. I will get back to it this afternoon. Am on my way to town to do an errand!

Thanx
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
So, tell me again, WHY did America attack Iraq?

A female conspiracy theorist took America to war
8/31/2005 1:00:00 AM GMT

Laurie Mylroie is a conspiracy theorist whose political views have consistently been proved wrong. However, Bush and his aides decided to swallow her theories on Saddam's alleged weapons of mass destruction and launch Iraq war.

The American public didn't support Bush's decision to invade Iraq simply because Saddam was an evil dictator but because their President made the case that Saddam possesses weapons of mass destruction and "might" give them to "terrorist" allies to launch attacks against the United States, and thus Iraq war was essential to protect the U.S.

Where did the administration's conviction come from? It was at the American Enterprise Institute - a conservative Washington DC think-tank - that the idea took shape that ousting the Iraqi leader should be the goal.

Among those associated with AEI are Richard Perle, a key architect of Bush's Iraq policy, and Paul Wolfowitz.

But none of the AEI thinkers was an expert on Iraq, and thus they relied on someone you probably have never heard of: a woman named Laurie Mylroie, who used to be an apologist for Saddam's regime in the1980s.
But around the time of the 1990 Gulf War, Mylroie turned against Saddam.

In the run-up to war, with New York Times reporter Judith Miller, Mylroie wrote Saddam Hussein and the Crisis in the Gulf, a well-reviewed bestseller.

It was the attack on the World Trade Centre in 1993 that launched Mylroie's quixotic quest to prove that Saddam's regime was the chief source of "anti-U.S. terrorism".

She stated her argument in a 2000 book titled "Study of Revenge: Saddam Hussein's Unfinished War Against America". Perle described the book as "splendid and wholly convincing", and Wolfowitz "provided crucial support", according to Mylroie.

In her book, Mylroie said that the Iraqi leader was behind every anti-American terrorist incident in the past decade, from Oklahoma bombing in 1995 to September 11 attacks.

Mylroie's neoconservative friends supported her theories, and she became a terrorism consultant for the Pentagon.

Richard Clarke's book "Against All Enemies", in which he recounts a special high level meeting on terrorism months before September 11 attacks, explains the extent of Mylroie's influence on the Pentagon.

Clarke, a veteran counterterrorism official, quotes Wolfowitz as saying during that meeting: "You give Bin Laden too much credit. He could not do all these things like the 1993 attack on New York, not without a state sponsor. Just because FBI and CIA have failed to find the linkages does not mean they don't exist." Clarke wrote.

"I could hardly believe it, but Wolfowitz was spouting the Laurie Mylroie theory that Iraq was behind the 1993 truck bomb at the World Trade Centre, a theory that had been investigated for years and found to be totally untrue."

Mylroie's influence can also be seen in the reaction of Bush's admin after 9/11 attacks. In his recent book "Plan of Attack", Bob Woodward said that immediately after the attacks Wolfowitz told the cabinet that there was a 10 to 50% chance that Saddam was involved. Also Bush told his aides: "I believe that Iraq was involved, but I'm not going to strike them now."

The most comprehensive criminal investigation in history - pursuing 500,000 leads and interviewing 175,000 people - found no evidence of Iraqi involvement in the attacks.

But the Bush administration decided to believe otherwise.

In Study of Revenge, Mylroie claimed to have discovered that the plot's mastermind was an Iraqi intelligence agent. After Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait, Mylroie said that the man, known by one of his many aliases as "Ramzi Yousef" was given access to the passport of Abdul Basit, a Pakistani whose family lived in Kuwait, and assumed his identity.

But U.S. investigators stated that "Yousef" and Basit are the same person, and that he is a Pakistani with ties to Al Qaeda, not to Iraq.

By the mid-90s, the FBI, the CIA and the State Department found no evidence implicating the Iraqi government in the Trade Centre's 1993 attack.

Vincent Cannistraro, who headed the CIA's counterterrorist centre in the early 90s, said "My view is that Laurie has an obsession with trying to link Saddam to global terrorism. Years of strenuous effort to prove the case have been unavailing."

Also Ken Pollack, a former CIA analyst, dismissed Mylroie's theories: "[The National Security Council] had the intelligence community look very hard at the allegations that the Iraqis were behind the 1993 Trade Centre attack ... The intelligence community said there were no such links."

Last year, Mylroie stated in her new book, Bush v the Beltway: How the CIA and the State Department Tried to Stop the War on Terror, in which she claimed that the U.S. government hided information about Iraq's involvement in "anti-American terrorism", including the investigation of 9/11.

It claims that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Yousef's uncle, now captured for allegedly having role in 9/11 attacks, is an Iraqi intelligence agent who, like his nephew Ramzi Yousef, adopted the identity of a Pakistani living in Kuwait.

"A senior administration official told me in specific that the question of the identities of the terrorist masterminds could not be pursued because of bureaucratic obstructionism." We are expected to believe that the Bush administration could not find anyone to investigate supposed Iraqi links to 9/11, at the same time as 150,000 American soldiers were sent to fight a war in Iraq.

Asked about her research during an interview, Mylroie said "This issue [of Iraq's involvement in anti-U.S. terrorism] has become enormously politicized. When I first wrote about it in 1995, major magazines and newspapers and the Israeli ambassador commented positively on my research." But towards the end of the interview, Mylroie became agitated, jabbing her finger at the camera: "There is a very acute chance as we go to war that Saddam will use biological agents against Americans, that there will be anthrax in the U.S. and smallpox in the U.S. Are you in Canada prepared for Americans who have smallpox and do not know it crossing the border?"

Mylroie said that Terry Nichols, responsible for Oklahoma City bombing, was in league with Ramzi Yousef. But the federal judge who presided over the Oklahoma bombings dismissed her theory.

She also claimed that 1998 attacks on U.S. embassies in Africa were "the work of Bin Laden and Iraq". But investigation has found no connection.

She also implicated Iraq in the 1996 crash of TWA flight 800. Again investigation that lasted for two years found it was an accident.

No evidence linking Saddam to any act of anti-U.S. terrorism for a decade was ever found.

Source: Guardian.co.uk
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 03:42 pm
Why did America attack?
Because the embarrassment in the White House ordered it.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:30 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
Very interesting, indeed. Of course that is why there is a war in Iraq. I am trying to convince someone on another thread that 9/11 was planned well before in order to get Americans whipped up to such a patriotic fever that they'd want to go to war. Which they did. America is desperate for oil and will stop at nothing to get it.

Not, I'm afraid it is not, and if you succeed in convincing "someone on another thread" that 9/11 was planned ....please reveal their identities so I may ignore each and every posting they make.

I won't even quality that with an answer.
The power of ideological hysteria to stultify native intelligence is astounding.

Open up your history book and put some lotion on your redneck. You can use a rag if you want to and study the Spanish-American War and the Yellow Press. Hearst's papers made a lot of money from that war. How about Poland's terrorist attack on a radio station as well as the burning of the Reichtag building as Hitler's excuse to kill communists and invade Poland. Or -how about Pearl Harbor: not planned, but allowed to happen?
Bottom line: it took less time to get Hitler than has passed in the pursuit of bin Laden. The British and American forces need the Russians, I guess. Precious time and resources were diverted by the Iraq fiasco led by naive advisors of a president who "doesn't reflect" and makes fun of his lack of education. We all know how he got through college.

To date, Bush has done everything bin Laden wanted him to do. (1) He got rid of Saddam (2) He has guaranteed Palestinian sovereignty (remember the land was taken by Moses through genocide) (3) he has removed all US troops from Saudi soil. Is bin Laden still on CIA payroll?

As for oil profits, you seem to have some awareness of stocks and the global economy. You fail to recognize the law of supply and demand. Prices have gone up due to China and India's demand with help from pulling Iraqi oil off stream via the war. With current oil prices (Katrina aside) how can you say oil corps are not making a killing?

Would anyone in the West really care about what happened to a bunch of ignorant towel heads in the Middle East if they weren't sitting on the continued font of 21st century energy? Of course not, just look at Africa.

What about North Africa's oil? Arabs wear headgear traditionally just like you wear a cowboy hat. Or is it a baseball cap? The vast majority of Iraqis are Shiite (Persian) and wear no such garb, not to mention the Kurds.

Oil attracts our gaze to the Middle East. Oil is why we have international terrorists. Oil is why Israel has not been free to crush the Palestinian vermin once and for all. Oil is why the Saudis have financed Wahabi Jihadists around the globe. Oil is why Mr Nobel Peace Prize - Jimmy Carter propped up the Shah of Iran. Oil is why Canada is prepared to drop her ecological britches to suck the foul crude from Canadian sands. Oil is why the monster Saddam was supported by The West. Oil is why a evil rat like Yassir Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize.

The reason we have terrorists and Wahabism goes back to the 18th century when coal wasn't even part of the equation. Read your history. Believe it or not, some people don't care for secular humanism, including Wahabis. That is why they fought against the Saudi royal family, Turks, Nasser, Russian communists, Syria and Iraq.

For all of you gadflies who would open our eyes to the influence of oil...no fu*king kidding!

If the United States was truly ruled by a cohort of venal scumbags, owned by American oil interests, would they really have invaded Iraq?

(SEE ABOVE FOR REPLY).

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BUMPER STICKER: I FEAR MY GOVERNMENT BUT I LOVE MY COUNTRY?)

Would it not have been much easier for these soulless puppets of American petro-interests to accommodate Saddam in any way he thought fit? Hell, the French and Russians followed this avenue. Were our oil-interest puppets just not venal s.o.b.s but moronic ones at that?

Yes, it would, as witnessed by Rumsfeld hugging Saddam while Kurds were being gassed. Saddam just got a little too uppity, like Noreiga and Castro and Allende. Saddam's plan to peg oil prices to the Euro might have been a factor?

Corporations in general (irrespective of whether or not they are domiciled in the US or are tied to oil) are compelled by the capital markets to achieve short term successes. Check it out, the War in Iraq did not drive US oil company stocks consistently up. Au contraire. The war in Iraq, perforce, reduced Iraqi oil production. There may have been a time when big ass companies looked to the long terms, but no more. If oil interests in America were trying to influence Bush it was in terms of keeping things stable in the Middle East. I would bet considerably large sums of money on the fact that oil industry magnates (unaffected by their ideology) were not in favor of invading Iraq.

(SEE ABOVE, i.e. supply and demand). Since Bush had to pull forces out of Saudi Arabia his Texas cowboys figured Iraq was the natural strategic location for the flyboys. Too bad they weren't up on history, or they would have been able to anticipate the current civil war in Iraq.

The ideological idiots would have us believe that Corp Bloodsuckers make their decisions based solely upon the impact on profits and share price (In reality it has a lot more to do with share price than profits. One might think the two are inextricably woven, but they are, alas, not.), and maybe they do. However this is not consistent with the notion that the Corp Bloodsuckers will also influence (if not command) the White House to take actions that hold no promise for immediate profits or increased share price.

It is not ideaology but simple facts that Condelezza, who used to work for Chevron, and Cheney for Halliburton, etc etc is that enough of a revolving door? There is more involved than oil: it is, in Eisenhower's words 'the industrial military complex' and the need for a rationale (idealogy) for its existence. Fact: the rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer and the middle class is getting ripped apart, economically as well as politically. As the middle class shrinks, the US gets more and more like the Banana Republics it has dictated to. Fascism is alive and well in Amerika, disguised by a pseudo republic, Hollywood, video games, and Ronald McDonald smiles. Read Brave New World?

Sorry folks, but even the Bad Guys have to be consistent or they will soon be nonexistent.

And yet....there may very well be future wars based upon fresh water. Insightful, unless one is parroting a futurist. In any case substitute water for oil. The political and economic dynamics will be the same. The geography, of course, will not. When water significantly supercedes oil as a crucial natural resource, the Middle East will retreat back towards the Stone Age, and Canada (Hoo-yeah EM!) will become the new Saudi Arabia.

You got it mixed up. Stone age lingered in Europe and North America much longer than the Mid East. Currently, Turkey controls the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates as well as making regular shipments of water to Israel via tankers. Egypt and Sudan control the Nile. The Caucasus and Caspian hold vast amounts of water. Given that this is all in the Mid East don't hold your breath.

But hell those lovely Canuks...give them the pivot point of the global economy and they will lead us to the Promised Land

Yeah, eh? And hopefully Canadians will do that without another war. Laughing
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:33 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

color=red]I won't even quality that with an answer. [/color]

Open up your history book and put some lotion on your redneck. You can use a rag if you want to and study the Spanish-American War and the Yellow Press. Hearst's papers made a lot of money from that war. How about Poland's terrorist attack on a radio station as well as the burning of the Reichtag building as Hitler's excuse to kill communists and invade Poland. Or -how about Pearl Harbor: not planned, but allowed to happen?
Bottom line: it took less time to get Hitler than has passed in the pursuit of bin Laden. The British and American forces need the Russians, I guess. Precious time and resources were diverted by the Iraq fiasco led by naive advisors of a president who "doesn't reflect" and makes fun of his lack of education. We all know how he got through college.

To date, Bush has done everything bin Laden wanted him to do. (1) He got rid of Saddam (2) He has guaranteed Palestinian sovereignty (remember the land was taken by Moses through genocide) (3) he has removed all US troops from Saudi soil. Is bin Laden still on CIA payroll?

As for oil profits, you seem to have some awareness of stocks and the global economy. You fail to recognize the law of supply and demand. Prices have gone up due to China and India's demand with help from pulling Iraqi oil off stream via the war. With current oil prices (Katrina aside) how can you say oil corps are not making a killing?

What about North Africa's oil? Arabs wear headgear traditionally just like you wear a cowboy hat. Or is it a baseball cap? The vast majority of Iraqis are Shiite (Persian) and wear no such garb, not to mention the Kurds.

The reason we have terrorists and Wahabism goes back to the 18th century when coal wasn't even part of the equation. Read your history. Believe it or not, some people don't care for secular humanism, including Wahabis. That is why they fought against the Saudi royal family, Turks, Nasser, Russian communists, Syria and Iraq.

(SEE ABOVE FOR REPLY).

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BUMPER STICKER: I FEAR MY GOVERNMENT BUT I LOVE MY COUNTRY?)

Yes, it would, as witnessed by Rumsfeld hugging Saddam while Kurds were being gassed. Saddam just got a little too uppity, like Noreiga and Castro and Allende. Saddam's plan to peg oil prices to the Euro might have been a factor?

(SEE ABOVE, i.e. supply and demand). Since Bush had to pull forces out of Saudi Arabia his Texas cowboys figured Iraq was the natural strategic location for the flyboys. Too bad they weren't up on history, or they would have been able to anticipate the current civil war in Iraq.

It is not ideaology but simple facts that Condelezza, who used to work for Chevron, and Cheney for Halliburton, etc etc is that enough of a revolving door? There is more involved than oil: it is, in Eisenhower's words 'the industrial military complex' and the need for a rationale (idealogy) for its existence. Fact: the rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer and the middle class is getting ripped apart, economically as well as politically. As the middle class shrinks, the US gets more and more like the Banana Republics it has dictated to. Fascism is alive and well in Amerika, disguised by a pseudo republic, Hollywood, video games, and Ronald McDonald smiles. Read Brave New World?

You got it mixed up. Stone age lingered in Europe and North America much longer than the Mid East. Currently, Turkey controls the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates as well as making regular shipments of water to Israel via tankers. Egypt and Sudan control the Nile. The Caucasus and Caspian hold vast amounts of water. Given that this is all in the Mid East don't hold your breath.

But hell those lovely Canuks...give them the pivot point of the global economy and they will lead us to the Promised Land

Yeah, eh? And hopefully Canadians will do that without another war. Laughing
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:24 pm
I Have a Question for You
by Charley Reese

I have a question for you. You can ponder it while all the hot air generated in Washington about the Iraq War continues to billow forth from politicians and generals.

Here's the question: Why is it that we can take a high-school graduate, give him 16 weeks of training and ship him off to Iraq to fight when, after two years of alleged training, the Iraqis are still unable to field an army that will fight?

There is a dead fish somewhere in this woodpile. After all, most of the Iraqis have had some military experience, even combat experience, while our American high-school graduate has had none. So why can we turn a green youngster into a fighting soldier in 16 weeks, but we fail miserably when we try to do the same thing in Iraq?

Ah-ah-ah. Don't let that racist thought get into your head. The Iraqis are just as intelligent as we are, and just as brave. Besides, being an infantryman or an infantry officer is not molecular biology or high-energy physics. Countries all over the world train youngsters to be soldiers in about 16 weeks, just as we do. Why are we failing in Iraq?

Well, Congress needs to ask more pointed questions instead of accepting the generals' view that after all these many months there is only one Iraqi battalion capable of fighting on its own. Even that might not be true. After all, a few months ago the same generals were saying there were three Iraqi battalions able to operate independently.

We would need a full-scale, on-the-ground investigation to find the answers, and you can be sure that neither the Bush administration nor Congress will conduct one.

I don't know the answer, but I can suggest some possibilities. One is that we really don't want to train an Iraqi army capable of fighting on its own, because the minute we do, the pressure for us to leave Iraq will become immense. That possibility rests on the assumption that in direct contradiction to what it is telling the American people, the Bush administration intends to stay in Iraq for quite some time.

Another possibility is that the Iraqis, while capable of fighting, have no desire to fight, because they would be seen as fighting as surrogates for the American occupation. That would, indeed, not be good for their future, because sooner or later we will leave Iraq, and then the Iraqi population might decide it's time for payback for all those who sided with us.

There are two differences between the culture in that region and our own. Actually, there are many, but these two we seem to ignore. One is that the people in Iraq do not view time in the same way we do. We are impatient. They are almost infinitely patient.

The other characteristic is a long memory, in contrast to us, who tend to act as if we all have amnesia. There is an Arab story about a man who returns home and says to his best friend: "You know that man who insulted me 40 years ago? Well, I killed him yesterday." His friend replies, "Why were you in such a hurry?"

We have a fatal tendency to believe that everybody in the world is just like us - thinks like us, has the same values as we do. This is not true. I know it is difficult for an American politician to believe, but there are still people in the world who can't be bribed and who value personal honor more than life itself. Despite our power, we are far too ignorant to be a successful empire. We should stay home and mind our own business.

October 17, 2005
(You can do a google search for info regarding Charlie Reese).
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
ok, I promise, no more articles, but could not resist this one:

Let's Not Imitate the British
by Charley Reese

What I fear most for the future of our country is that our leadership seems to be developing the same arrogance that doomed the British Empire.

In early 1941, the British general in charge of the Far East scoffed at the idea that Japan would attack. The Japanese wouldn't dare, he said, because they were a subhuman, inferior race. That same year, Winston Churchill likewise said that the Japanese would not dare attack the British Empire. The Japanese were, he said, the "wops of the East," thus insulting two peoples in one sentence.

The Japanese, who were then and are now among the most brilliant people on Earth, did attack the British Empire. They sank the very battleship on which Churchill made his statement. They completely defeated the British in the Far East in 11 weeks, capturing more than 100,000 British soldiers and officers. It was the largest, most humiliating defeat in Britain's history.

Once, for the fun of it, I went to the microfilm and read the newspapers in the city where I was living that were published immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor. People's ignorance of Japan was appalling. In man-in-the-street interviews, many Americans predicted a short and easy war because they thought the Japanese were all small and had poor eyesight from eating too much rice.

What Japan had, in reality, was a 3,000-year history of being a disciplined and warlike people, the only people in the Far East who defeated European efforts to colonize them. They were also the people who made a miraculous transition from a feudal state to an industrial power in an amazing 40 years.

Ironically, the same arrogance led the Japanese leaders into attacking America and thus, in the reported words of Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto, "awakening and enraging a sleeping giant." Japanese martial spirit was no match for the great, energy-rich industrial power the United States was at that time.

If we look at ourselves honestly, since World War II, we have become a sort of bully. We browbeat and fight minor powers and no-powers while our generals and politicians strut about as if they had conquered the Roman Empire or Napoleon. We were damned lucky the Soviet Union collapsed from its own internal mistakes.

Arrogance and hubris lead to underestimating others and overestimating ourselves. That's very dangerous. We have a beautiful country and a great people, but if we don't get serious about correcting our political and economic problems, we might well follow the British Empire and become a footnote in future history books.

October 15, 2005

Charley Reese [send him mail] has been a journalist for 49 years.

© 2005 by King Features Syndicate, Inc.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:27 pm
Hi englishmajor!

Kurt Vonnegut says it for me from his new book: "Man without a Country"....and I quote:

"When you got her, even when I got here, the industrialized world was already hopelessly hooked on fossil fuels, and very soon now there won't be any left. Cold turkey.

Can I tell you the truth? I mean this isn't the TV news is it? Here's what I think the truth is: we are all addicts of fossil fuels in a state of denial. And like so many addicts about to face cold turkey, our leaders are now committing violent crimes to get what little is left of what we're hooked on."

Love Kurt Vonnegut....says it all for me. VNN
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:02 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Finn,

I have to admit your sense of humor does intrigue me. I will have to get back with you a bit later. Actually, I think the only thing I didn't agree with was the use of any namecalling. I did want to ask you something about a post though. I will get back to it this afternoon. Am on my way to town to do an errand!

Thanx

Moma, I can apreciate that a calcified antiquique such as yourself might find namecalling noxious, but I assure you that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the generationally crippled among us. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:05 pm
Well, I have yet to be called a calcified antiquique. I have to go look that up to see if I'm supposed to be offended or not! LOL
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:19 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, I have yet to be called a calcified antiquique. I have to go look that up to see if I'm supposed to be offended or not! LOL

Please don't be offended. I jest, I caper, I sprawl.
0 Replies