Excellent book for ill and stressed people

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:26 am
This is one of the few books I can recommend for anyone who is ill, in pain, or just miserable, even though I haven't yet finished it myself:

"Full Catastrophe Living" subtitled, "Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness," by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD. My (paperback) copy was published in 1990 by Dell and Bantam/Doubleday.

It describes the full 8-week program of the Stress Reduction Clinic at the Univ. of Massachusetts Medical Center. It uses Mindfulness and Mindfulness Meditation as practices to help us be more "in the present moment." This is an excellent way to deal with stress, anger, pain, and frustration in our daily lives.

While these practices are based on Buddhist practices, the text is entirely non-religious and very well-suited to Westerners like me who have no beliefs in the supernatural.

I was lucky enough to find this copy at a thrift store for about 10 cents, but it is great! The ISBN is 0-385-30312-2.

Jon Kabat-Zinn also wrote "Wherever You Go, There You Are," also an inspiring & worthwhile read.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 682 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:57 pm
Thanks, BK--I'll investigate.
0 Replies