flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
Hmm; I just have the one salad dressing...Cucumber!

I do however have bottles of fruit that are soaked in alcohol that have been in the fridge forever. They looked good (booze and cherries! c'mon!) but I really don't like em very much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
Possibly good on vanilla ice cream...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
Welcome, Linsay. Yeah, packaging still gets me sometimes. Pretty pictures of luscious meals that I don't have to cook. Ah yes, it's crap.

Things seem to get lost in my refrigerator. It is humbling to realize that one or two have been in there for a couple of years. Yes, I clean the frig, but they just get moved around.

Veggies in the crisper are my worst nightmare. They get soft, slimy and spotty. Mold starts to grow and I'm afraid of mold. There is no doubt in my mind that it is filled with microscopic aliens that will invade my body if I disturb it. It is a phobia. Veggie mold. Pathetic.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
Booze and cherries? Send them over! That's the ticket, we should start a club of unused foods (that haven't gone bad).

Dys started cleaning out the pantry today. I wasn't going to admit it but was sure Dys would see this thread and air my slothfulness to all of AK. Three bags of flour. Several things of unknown origin--and I'm never telling. Ancient pretzels from airline trips. Seven or eight bottles of flavored vinegars and olive oils which do get used, but we don't need so many.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:57 am
BBB
I like to order food I can't find in my local stores. My pantry has a supply of Tomato Marmalade, Quince Jelly, Pear Preserves, Panko bread crumbs, and a variety of artichoke mixtures.

Regarding saving the little packets of condiments, I wonder if that's a hold over for us " 1930s depression babies" who never threw out anything because we might need it or find a use for it? That was so ingrained me as a child that it's hard to break the habit now that I no longer have to worry about deprivation.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:18 am
Salad dressings!

Greek, vadalia onion, ceasar, thousand island, blue cheese vinegarette, ranch, sun dried tomato...that's all I can think of sitting here, well, I do like them, but so many!

every year at some point I buy a box of farina, thinking, this is so good and warm.

I'll love the 1st 2 bowls, eat the third because I have a whole box, then it sits there the rest of the year.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:22 am
What is farina?
Is it some kind of hot cereal?

There is this cereal called Red River Cereal. It is the bomb! It is like a porridge; it has wheat, rye, and flax I believe. It is so good on winter mornings, or out camping. Makes me feel so wholesome!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:35 am
Yes, it's a cereal, basically it's like cream of wheat, only finer.

I think more people in the northeast who grew up with it eat it, like grits down south.

tidbit: Carlo Broschi, a castrato who lived in the 1700's in Italy was nicknamed Farinelli because the word farina literally means pulverize. His high notes would meet and exceed (pulverize) the high notes of a musical instrument.

I don't think anyone today would care to become castrated today so they could sing like that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
Diane wrote:
Ancient pretzels from airline trips.

Years ago <how many?> a friend <?> brought me two packages of shortbread cookies he got on a flight to Tranna. They were 1. for my birthday and 2. to thank me for letting him park in my driveway for three weeks.

I keep moving those stupid cookies with me. I just found them again last week. I took them out of the fridge - meaning to throw them out - and put them back in the fridge Friday night.

Stupid cookies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
Went to Trader Joe's.

Got, after hesitating, some little pitas.

Forgot the hummus.

<I'm hopeless>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:48 pm
In May/June, I bought 2 types of italian flour in the North End, both '00' flour, which is what my housemate said she needed for proper pizza dough (or was it pasta?). I bought the kind good for pizza dough and the kind good for pasta. Neither have been opened since.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
I'm sure I'm the one who bought the pear vinegar Diane threw out.... when I was house sitting for Diane and Dys back in April. I can't help it, I like things like pear vinegar and raspberry vinegar bla bla blah. My hands reach out when I see exotica at the market.

As most of you know, the girl is moving sometime soon. I'm down to the short hairs on my fridge. Threw out the truffle cream, and that wasn't cheap, though it was old. Kept the jar, packed it with the glasses. Still am staring at Tamarind Chutney (good with burgers?) and Patak's Original Mild Curry Paste...

I've been using up my Santini Sicilian Pesto Spread and have ideas on what to do with my Batch#114 Jamaican Hot Sauce.

I think I've posted on this very subject before recently, but don't see it, will just go ahead and 'splain my refrigerator again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:40 pm
Osso, Santini is one of my family names (by marriage)!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:57 pm
I associate the name with Trader Joe's - they sell the brand. Don't know if they sell this particular pesto there as there aren't Trader Joe's in Humboldt County.

Nice name - I am not a TJ addict, but I do like the Santini products generally, if only as popularizers.

besides, doesn't it mean little saints?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:55 am
I found that I'd somehow collected some more 'little packets' at work. I didn't mean to.
0 Replies