ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:17 pm
I occasionally, ok, often, buy food products that I'm sure I'm going to like.
But I hate them.
And I end up tossing whatever it is out.

And then there's jam. I love strawberry jam. But then I'm in the store and I see raspberry jam, or cherry jam, or mixed berry jam, or marmalade ... and I think "oh, a change from strawberry jam would be nice". And now the cherry jam has turned into sludge and I had to buy more strawberry jam.

Why don't I just buy strawberry jam? Who am I kidding? I'm not going to like cherry jam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are your food shopping goofs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,729 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:23 pm
Tofu. I have had it at one of my favorite Asian restaurants and like it. I think, "Oh, that seems pretty easy to make." So I buy some. Well, it's been sitting in my fridge for over a month now. I'm intimidated by it, I guess. And I've done this more than once. What's up with that?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:50 pm
I have jam issues too. Do I ever use jam on my toast? No. So, why do I have several moldy jars in the fridge and backup in the pantry?

Sauces like mole, adobo, hoi sin, red thai pepper and pastes like olive tapenade all look great on the shelf. If the possibilities were endless...... why haven't I used them more than once?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:34 pm
Strawberry and apricot jam are great. When they start trying to pass of that mixed berry or mixed fruit jam, I'm thinking it's just leftovers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:38 pm
Damn, I like mixed berry jam. But my favs (sigh, faves? I never use the stuff, I swear!) are blueberry or black cherry.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
Well pass the mustard!

I have French's regular, Frenchs Spicy Brown, I have Texas Pete's Honey Mustard, I have Frenchs Bold n Spicy and I have an off brand thats Southwestern Spicy Mustard. Why? Hell, I don't know...I think its because I almost believe that I will use those mustards inventing some kinda wild new food, then I use them once, discover I don't like them and go back to the regular Frenchs Mustard.

And while I'm at it, theres the same kind of variety of hot sauces, ketchup's and picante's...and it boils down to the fact that I will not use but one of those, or maybe two...lol

Maybe we just want to look like were well rounded in the flavor department?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:42 pm
I think I had a mustard period..... but, I think I used them all up. I like mustard.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
You folks have made me feel much better about all the flavored vinegars, chinese sauces, thai mixes, fruit simples, and BBQ sauces I have stuffed on every shelf of the fridge and pantry. I think I'm going to clean them all out tomorrow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:37 pm
i actually did do a major purge last month - the fridge is half-empty now. Or, is it half-full?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:49 pm
I think it's just too big.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:01 pm
My husband wants me to save all the carry-out condiments you get from restaurants--jelly, mustard, catsup, tartar sauce, soy sauce, etc. They're piled in the fridgeÂ…and we never ever use them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
Oh gawd - mustard.

I seem to think mustard makes a good souvenir.

I'm also guilty of the lil packet thing - they're going to be good for a picnic. Really. <I just threw out about 60 lil packets of stuff I had in a bag at work - now to take on the home collection>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:25 pm
I saw this when ehBeth first posted it, said "I do that all the time!", then couldn't think of anything.

Then Swimpy said "tofu" -- right, tofu, I do that!

Then tapenade -- totally!

And on it went, blank until someone posts something and then lame to just say "me too..."

But finally remembered one. Almost every time I go to Trader Joe's I get a package of little pitas and some Hummous. Almost every time sozlet and I have a few right off, (pitas dipped in hummous), and then it sits... and sits... and sits... until it's old and gross and past it's sell-by date and we throw out the rest. Actually like it, don't know what the problem is. It's much better when it's brand-new fresh... or something.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:46 pm
eeeyep, little packets o' condiments line my kitchen drawers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
I just dealt with my hummous on Tuesday night. Had hummous on multigrain toast with cheddar cheese and dill pickles. Saved the hummous from a fate worse than death.

Other hummous has not been as lucky.

A contractor who worked on my house once commented that I had no real food here - just condiments.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
roger wrote:
I think it's just too big.

Roger, you just ROCK my world! I stay outta a2k for ages, surf around, and find roger!!!! I know that shoulda read the whole thread, but I read roger's words..... had to say... no, he said what I wanted, period!

Now I read the rest.... The defense rests... ok?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:48 pm
I don't even know what hummous is...do I want to know?

I used to have a whole drawer full of condiments...for those just incase moments, if I run out of the big size bottles.

I had to go and take a peek at my fridge. I think I'm the condiment Queen. Theres everything known to a southern fridge...KETCHUP..and more KETCHUP...BBQ sauces....all kinds and of course, that good ole Lousiana Hot Sauce...along with a few more kinds of it. And lets not forget that picante. We have chunky, mild, hot and of course all the salsa's...chunky, black bean and white corn, restuarant style..and so on.........I'm ready! For what is the question??
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:54 pm
A big friend of a2k had sub-line going " I used to be nuts,now I've moved up to condiments", or similar, I still miss ya, cav!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
Dinna wanna hi-jack this one!!!!

What is hummous, BTW? Sounds like earth for the garden, to me!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:16 pm
I don't think I spelled it right. It's a chickpea (???)-based um dippy sort of stuff that goes well (when both are fresh) with pita bread. Middle Eastern.
0 Replies