makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:35 pm
AWWWWW...........that explains that..lol
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
and I followed soz's spelling, figuring she'd know what it was <assuming she's got some in the fridge right now>
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:44 pm
I think it's spelled "Hummus". Basically it's well mashed chickpeas with garlic, a little olive oil, and chopped parsley. If you make it with roasted mashed eggplant it's called Babaganosh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
I actually like hummus, for itself, but not so much as a packaged thingy.

On little packets, I got a bath of them when I helped my husband and his brother deal with their parents' house. It turned out to be good, as a connector for all of us over the years, but it took us a long time. Me, I have an eye for worth, but didn't see much. But didn't want to slam them and their heritage. They on the other hand did, as they were well sick of mom, and dad was passed some time before.

So it was me who tried to get them to save stuff. Fifteen years later I was mostly right.

Anyway, their parents' kitchen was full of bags of napkins and ketchup and mustard packets, as well as salt and pepper. Well, I won't go on, as then there were the coupons.

As I am older now myself, with good reasons for all I save, and yet am able to grasp that people would look at my stuff and toss, I have a lot of empathy for the person who saved.

Nobody who goes through my stuff is going to giveashit about piazzas...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:10 pm
In re hummus, don't foget the tahini.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:03 pm
Love the thread. Will confess tomorrow.

By the by, one of the deeply traditional autumnal rituals is to Purge the Pantry.

Always save a can of grits, just in case you are caught in a hurricane and need the carbs.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:22 pm
Quote:
The salad is pointing guns at a jar of mayonnaise and a bottle of beer in the refrigerator in a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon captioned, "When the potato salad goes bad."

If you can find it cut it out and stick it on your fridge. A great reminder.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Houmous is real goood ... but it needs to be fresh.

Tahini though - yes. Bought it (in a pot this time), tried it, yegh, kept it, sat there, decided to try it again, yegh, kept it - etc, till I had to throw it away. I think. Or it might still be there, in my Utrecht apartment's kitchen cupboard ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:30 pm
Hmm, don't you mix tahini and hummus? (I'll have to look up, haven't done that in a while.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:33 pm
Yeh, here ya' go -
http://www.geocities.com/renvac47/tahini.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:30 pm
Hummus is very good. The problem is whether you make it yourself or buy some, there is always too much. I little bit goes a long way.

I used to be the kind of cook that bought a jar of something, Hoisin sauce is a good example, because I needed a tsp for a recipe. Then the rest would sit in the fridge until it grew wool. I just don't make asian food that often. So now, I just go out for Chinese when I get the urge for it. of course then I have the leftovers to deal with.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:10 pm
Oh; I love hummus! It was a staple when I was a vegetarian, and I still love it.

I buy some strange stuff; and a lot of it ends up not being very good. It ends up travelling on to a friend or the garbage. I seem to live by the motto "Gotta give EVERYTHING a chance at least once!" :wink:

Potatos, broccolli, and lemons/limes. I always buy these - and I never eat them! I don't even like em much. The potatos - they are so cheap! lol. Brocolli - I think i'll use it for a stir-fry or something, but then it sits in the crisper and turns soggy and gross. Lemons/limes - I have the good intentions of using them for something, but they just hang around like fools.

Herbal teas: I got a million. And I keep buying them. I do drink them, but do I really need a whole collection?!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
flushd--

Of course you need a wide assortment of herbal teas. They have no alcohol, no nicotine, and no caffeine.

Besides you just might stumble across one with mystic power.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:28 pm
Laughing

Well, since I usually only drink em when I have a hangover or I'm sick, I hope I do find one with magic powers....the power to cure my body of all the crap I put into it :wink:

detox for next to nothin' in change
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:43 pm
I have more herbal teas than I drink as well. It's the devil in me, I tell you.

Lemons, gee, they may be my favorite thing in life. Well, no, but close. Eureka lemons, Meyer lemons... (not sure why I said eureka lemons, something from my past, even though I live in the town of Eureka now, it is not associated with lemons.)

Roast chicken with lemons (I keep starting threads on it, each time I cook it, in some kind of eatfoodstartthread nirvana).... sublime. Almost as good as roast chicken with forty cloves of garlic....

Aside from their combining well with fowl food, lemons dot the landscape of vegetarian foods.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
strawberry jam !
this year we decided that we were not going to pick any strawberries and not to make our own strawberry jam anymore. it just seemed too hot to go picking, the kneejoints are creaking a little more evey year ...
so we have been trying a variety of "store boughten" strawberry jams ... if i have to lie flat on my stomach, i'm reasonably sure we'll go picking again next year - just hope it won't be as hot again! hbg
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:48 pm
How about salad dressings? How many of those do we all have in our fridges? I had to take a peek at those and I have everytime of ranch dressing known to man...lol, there's Creamy Ranch, Peppercorn Ranch, Light Ranch, Ranch, and Bacon Ranch. Then I have Italian, Thousand Island and some other unknown ones.

Ohhh, and I love all those marinades that I buy and never use to marinate meat in..lol Got plenty of them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:51 pm
<buys store salad dressing once every two years, tosses it...>

it's always too strong and sort of plastic tasting to me, but that's me. I do remember having avocado and crab meat and bottled sherry dressing with some good pot years ago. Have kept my eye out for sherry dressing ever since..
0 Replies

lindsay23b4

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:54 pm
me too
I do tje same thing every two weeks at the store! I waste so much $$$, but the packaging makes me do it!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:03 pm
Packaging... grrrr. I have bought a number of packages or cans of things from a company called Amy's, with all good will. I have never not been disappointed. Why do I do it?
0 Replies