Latin Grammar

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:38 am
Hi.

It's been several years since I took Latin lessons and I've started trying to create some Latin sentences for my story projects. However, I'm confused about word order.

I remember when I was young, my first (or was it second?) Latin teacher taught me this: the word order for Latin is subject object verb. But when I moved to a new school, the new Latin teacher asked me why I used such strange word order.

After thinking about German, I realised that in some sentences, verbs go last. Is the structuring of Latin sentences more like English or German or more like itself and if so what is it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,118 • Replies: 2
No top replies

trifidus

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
the word order in latin isn't so important as in english, because the main meaning of a sentence in Latin doesn't depend on word order but on endings of words.

of course, there are some rules, like:
subject, object, verb
but take any original latin text and you'll be sure it's not very important

Quae res in civitate duae plurimum possunt, eae contra nos ambae faciunt in hoc tempore, summa gratia et eloquentia (Cicero,Pro P. Quinctio, I 1)
http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/cicero/quinc.shtml

The two things which have the greatest influence in a state, the greatest interest, and eloquence, are both making against us at the present moment

to keep this rule it should be:

Eae res duae - summa gratia et eloquentia, quae in civitate plurimum possunt, ambae contra nos in hoc tempore faciunt

The most important rule are: the first and the last place in sentence are the most important.

graeci troiam expugnaverunt - Greeks have done it, troy has been conquered
troiam expugnaverunt graeci - troy has been conquered, Greeks have done it
troiam graeci expugnaverunt - troy has been conquered by greeks

I marked only words, which are accented by word order.
in english this sentence means simply: Greeks has conquered Troy

other rules: (often broken)

The verb is last.

Caesar Gallum interfécit.
Caesar killed a Gaul.

Caesar, etsí in hís locís hiemés mátúrae sunt, in Britanniam proficíscí contendit.
Although the winters in these regions are early, Caesar hastened to set our for Britain.

Adjectives of quantity, size, and number, demonstrative and interrogative adjectives stand BEFORE the nouns they modify.

Multí hominés
Many men

Trés et vígintí nautae
Twenty-three sailors

Hic vir
This man

Quem in locum?
Into which place?

Adjectives of quality and possessive adjectives stand AFTER the nouns they modify.

Vir bonus
A good man

Pater meus
My father

Adverbs and ablatives stand BEFORE the verbs and adjectives they modify.

Equités celeriter vénérunt.
The cavalry came swiftly.

Laude dignus
Worthy of praise

ps. because you are english you can use english word order, but endings have to be proper
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:02 am
I see... thank you for that. Very informative.
0 Replies