Simon Wiesenthal, Nazi Hunter, dies at age 96

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:27 pm
Simon Wiesenthal survived 5 Nazi camps in WWII, but nearly 100 of his relatives didn't survive them. He kept names, while detained, of guards to be later brought to justice, if he survived. He found for authorities, 1100 (by his reckoning) Nazi war criminals who were prosecuted.

I didn't see a thread devoted to the man and think his passing deserves note. A man who runs (maybe) a society bearing Wiesenthal's name spoke on NPR, saying that everyone in the world knows the name Simon Wiesenthal. I am no scholar on WWII history or that of the plight of the Jews (and others) in those years, but I do pay attention to and know some of it. Sadly, I didn't recall his name. So, this thread is to help educate those who don't know his name either.

Times Online

Audio from All Things Considered
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 823 • Replies: 13
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:31 pm
I actually considered starting a thread on this very subject.

Thanks for saving me the work, k.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:34 pm
Gus, glad to do it. I was surprised that there wasn't a thread already.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
As am I, but I also find it hard to believe that a woman of your intellect had never heard of Simon Wiesenthal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:46 pm
My memory is terribly sporadic, so I may have heard of him and forgotten. I do recall hearing about Nazi Hunters, in general, maybe his name was there, but didn't stick.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
Have you ever heard of a guy called Hitler?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
Rings a bell.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:22 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Have you ever heard of a guy called Hitler?

short fellow, charlie chaplin mustache, that hitler?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:45 am
Re: Simon Wiesenthal, Nazi Hunter, dies at age 96
Thanks for starting this thread, littlek! I ought to have started one yesterday, but didn't. It's good you beat me to it.

The great thing about Simon Wiesenthal is that he hunted down some of the worst Nazi criminals, not "for authorities" as you say. That's what he did immediately after the war, in the late 1940s. His great achievement is that he continued to hunt them down in the 50s and 60s, even though most authorities had lost interest in Nazi-hunting; even though they sacrificed it to fighting the cold war, in many cases hiring old Nazis for the purpose. I think this is true for all non-Israeli authorities that are relevant to the problem: German, Austrian, American, you name it.

In these days, acting mostly by himself with some help of Israeli diplomats and secret service people, he brought down Adolf Eichmann, the 'CEO' of the holocaust; Franz Stangl, the commander of the Treblinka concentration camp; Franz Silberbauer, the Gestapo officer who arrested Anne Frank; and, as you say, about 1100 others by his own account.

Ths Simon Wiesenthal center has a website which offers a cornucopia of information about Wiesenthal and his cause. This man has done a great service to us all.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:02 am
He was an amazing man, ,working from conviction, and living proof that tenacity trumps everything.

If I was running from the law he'd be the last guy I'd want on my tail.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
Didn't he also uncover Mengele's bones?

Or was that Dan Quayle's wife he found?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:16 am
A sad passing, indeed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:11 pm
The BBC has an excellent site about "Vienna bids goodbye to Wiesenthal" online.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:40 pm
Wikipedia has some good information here[/color].
0 Replies