I'm having a problem?

ryunin

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:06 am
It's something that ocurred to me only recently. Although I think I know a lot about English grammar, I found out that it was not clear to me what the difference between "I have a problem" and "I am having a problem" is. I have heard both versions - "I have a problem" sounds very common and correct, but then what sense would it make to say "I am having a problem"? Is it maybe something like "feel" or "feeling" where both is possible? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 971 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:57 am
my opinion.
I am having a problem indicates immediacy. I'm having it right at this very moment
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:54 am
I have a problem is to me at least a long term matter. For example I have a problem with taxes. I have a problem with ignorant schlubs. I have a problem with parents who do not discipline their children. I have a problem with drivers who ignore traffic signals.

I am (I'm) having a problem indicates a current matter as said by dadpad. I'm having a problem putting this bicycle together. I'm having a problem assembling this "easy to assemble" piece of pressed cardboard furniture from Ikea. I'm having a problem deciding what to wear today.

So, have for all the time and am having for what will hopefully be just a temporary matter which I am currently involved in.
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:26 am
Thank you, that makes sense.

But in that case, is it wrong to say, in colloquial English, when you find out that you forgot your wallet at home, is it wrong to say all of a sudden:

"I have a problem! I forgot my wallet at home."

Is it necessary to say I am having a problem because it is happening right now?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
I am having a problem with my grammar...errrr, I have a problem with my grammar.

"I am having" sounds like the person is referring to lately.

"I have a problem" sounds like the person is used to it by now.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:05 pm
ryunin wrote:

But in that case, is it wrong to say, in colloquial English, when you find out that you forgot your wallet at home, is it wrong to say all of a sudden:

I would say "Oh bugger,I've left my wallet at home" if I were talking to myself.
If in a restaurant,speaking to the waiter,then,"I have a problem.I've left my wallet at home" Embarrassed

I think your line should read "I have a problem.I have forgotten my wallet.It is at home",and would hope that I had a bankers card in my pocket to avoid any more embarresment Smile
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
I think what barrythemod said makes much sense.

It's a wonderful board in a wonderful forum.
I love this site!
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:51 am
Re: I'm having a problem?
ryunin wrote:
It's something that ocurred to me only recently. Although I think I know a lot about English grammar, I found out that it was not clear to me what the difference between "I have a problem" and "I am having a problem" is. I have heard both versions - "I have a problem" sounds very common and correct, but then what sense would it make to say "I am having a problem"? Is it maybe something like "feel" or "feeling" where both is possible? Thank you.

Is english grammar very different from Korean?
0 Replies

mfhboy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:14 am
Re: I'm having a problem?
Jamesw84 wrote:
Is english grammar very different from Korean?

There is huge difference!
SVO vs SOV! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:31 pm
What does svo and sov mean?
0 Replies

upstudio

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:16 pm
I think "I'm having..." means I should solve it right now.
"I have ..."means it happens for a long time, I should solve it, but not in hurry?
Am I right?

Thank you.
0 Replies

markmark

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:49 am
if so pls tell me when to use "i have" instead of "i'm having"....just look this ex: i'v a horse.....i'm having a horse.....the former refer the possession while the latter means "eating a horse"....isn't it.........so can u say....i'm having a horse (say when u r talking abt a horse) to refer refer something temporary.......
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:10 am
Ryunin wrote:

+++++++++++++++++

No, it's not necessary, though it's possible. Why the present simple then? At least two possibilities, maybe more. The present simple is, one, more formal and, two, it also connotes that this is more serious in nature. A third possibility it that this 'problem' has just been discovered so it isn't really a 'continuing' type problem.

In a potentially sticky situation like this [say you're at a restaurant], the first two considerations, above, are things that you'd want to express.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
0 Replies