moi
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
cool as, for a minute there I thought CS was calling me one LOL Laughing
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:02 pm
Thankfully, this dumb American knows the difference between Europe and New Zealand.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
haha... man isn't the stereotype for us clever... and witty... and always drunk, red hair and short...
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:39 pm
LOL yeah it is....but the 'drunk' thing is debateable well at least among my lot of friends anyway! Laughing
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:59 pm
from my perspective the drunk one is the one that describes us best...
here is me two years ago... i know ladies.. hot..
http://pics-06.hi5.com/userpics/406/589/58924406.img.medium.jpg
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
geeez how old were you 12???? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
no 15... haha...
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
The irish....I'm not surprised.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:59 pm
Like, um, can we like get back to the topic now or whatever? "Like" is very annoying, and as a young Californian, let me tell you how difficult it can be to avoid letting it slip in when you let your guard down.

One of my close friends is an absolutely gifted writer, loves English, and got a full scholarship to a very good private college as an English major. However, she slipped while talking with me in a clothing store and said, "I think that shirt's, like, really cute." A woman standing nearby actually had the nerve to interject into our conversation, "Is the shirt cute, or LIKE cute?"

The point of the story is, leave us alone! We can't help it sometimes, all right!! Sob! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:10 pm
I can understand it being hard to control, especially since you hear it so much on these ridiculous shows like Laguna Beach.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:42 pm
why is everyone talking about this Laguna Beach thing? what the hell is it? Is there seriously a tv show I haven't heard of?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 10:32 am
Yeah, Laguna Beach is on MTV and you aren't missing a thing.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:50 pm
ech, that explains it. I don't even pause on MTV when I flip through the channels.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:57 pm
I don't either. I think if I did I would have a siezure or something like that.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:59 pm
well I finaly saw the 'Laguna Beach' programme on TV....what a load of crap, the cameras follow a group of young people around and every second word is "like"....when I use the word 'Like', it is not very often, however this word manages to slip into a sentence every now and again.

My most common word I tend to use more frequently is... "Yeah" in place of Umm and I notice I will subconciously stick it on the end of a sentence or even the beginning of a sentence while conversing with others!
eg... "Yeah how are you today" "yeah Im good" "yeah see you"
and this one cracks me up..."nup yeah" Shocked
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:22 pm
nup yeah has to be my favorite
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:56 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Like, um, can we like get back to the topic now or whatever? "Like" is very annoying, and as a young Californian, let me tell you how difficult it can be to avoid letting it slip in when you let your guard down.

One of my close friends is an absolutely gifted writer, loves English, and got a full scholarship to a very good private college as an English major. However, she slipped while talking with me in a clothing store and said, "I think that shirt's, like, really cute." A woman standing nearby actually had the nerve to interject into our conversation, "Is the shirt cute, or LIKE cute?"

The point of the story is, leave us alone! We can't help it sometimes, all right!! Sob! Crying or Very sad

There's nothing at all wrong with using 'like' in the fashion you've mentioned. Being a gifted writer has nothing, that's ZERO, to do with how people speak.

These place holders like 'like' are no different than the placeholders adults use in their language. You'll naturally grow out of using 'like' and then you'll replace it with another placeholder.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:19 pm
Talking about placeholders, how about public speakers using 'umm'
0 Replies