Sample of N.Y. Times new policy: to read you have to pay

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:19 am
TimesSelect Draws Mixed Reviews from Columnists
I found a site that is publishing some of the restricted columnists, not just excerpts, and have been posting them. ---BBB

TimesSelect Draws Mixed Reviews from Columnists
By Joe Strupp is a senior editor at E&P.
Published: October 19, 2005 10:20 AM ET
NEW YORK

One month after The New York Times launched TimesSelect, an online subscription service based largely on the paper's popular Op-Ed columnists, several of the writers whose work now appears behind a paid wall report dwindling audiences.

But while the columnists contacted by E&P lament the loss of readers, most show a willingness to at least try the approach in the name of helping the paper grow its online revenues.

TimesSelect

Launched Sept. 19

Cost: $49.95/year or $7.95/month

What that gets you: Access to the paper's eight Op-Ed columnists, as well as 14 other opinion-makers in news, sports, and business. The service also includes new features such as online video commentaries by the columnists and archive access of up to 100 articles per month.

Skeptical? Print subscribers are given free access. Others can sign up for a 14-day free trial period, but have to give their credit card info.

"I'm sad to lose an awful lot of readers, and a lot of readers in places like China and Pakistan who don't have credit cards or the ability to sign up," says Nicholas Kristof, a four-year Op-Ed columnist whose work appears twice weekly. "I want to be read, and this makes it much harder. But that is tempered by a concern that we come up with a business model to pay for my trips to Africa."

Thomas Friedman, another Op-Ed columnist who has a lot of foreign readership, admitted to being torn on the subject: "I want my newspaper to have a successful business platform. But the other side of me says that I have a lot of international readers in places like Egypt, where $50 could be their college tuition for a while."

Friedman stressed that reaching readers was among the most important aspects of the opinion pages, but added, "so is a good business model." He credited the paper with trying something new, noting, "we had to dive into the pool to see what was there."

Officials at the Times have thus far declined to say just how deep that pool is. But last month, Martin Nisenholtz, senior vice president, digital operations for The New York Times Co., told E&P columnist Steve Outing that the paper's goal was to sign up hundreds of thousands of subscribers in the early days, and even more as TimesSelect matures.

Times spokesperson Diane McNulty said Tuesday that it's too early to release numbers but insisted that sign-ups were ahead of schedule. McNulty did say, however, that the conversion rate on the 14-day free trial is a "very encouraging" 90%.

When asked if the sites overall traffic numbers had been affected by the move, McNulty reported that NYTimes.com recorded a record number of unique users in September and strong pageview growth as a result of news events -- such as Hurricane Katrina -- and the online operation's search engine optimization efforts.

While the Times' Op-Ed columnists have gotten the most attention in the move, TimesSelect also incorporates the work of sports and metro columnists as well.

"I have no illusions that people are paying 50 bucks for me," said Peter Applebome, a columnist for the paper's metro section. "I think [TimesSelect] will rise and fall on what people will pay for the Op-Ed columns." For Dan Barry, another metro columnist, the impact was not a concern. "It hasn't really changed my life any," he said, but added, "this is probably the wave of the future."

So far the transition to the pay model has been relatively smooth, but popular Sunday columnist Frank Rich cited the difficulty some print subscribers have had logging on without knowing their account numbers.

"Obviously, there are bugs in this that have to be worked out," Rich said. "When I find out that relatives of mine who are Times subscribers can't get into it, that means technological bugs."

He agreed that more time needs to be given to the program. "I can't tell a big difference yet," he said, when asked to assess the impact on his column. "I get the sense that a lot of people are getting it anyway because bloggers are cutting and pasting and posting it."

Op-Ed Columnist Paul Krugman, whose writing appears Mondays and Fridays, said, "for the time being, it hurts the readers of the column. There is certainly a lot less pick-up." But as a professor of Economics and International Affairs at Princeton University, Krugman understands perhaps better than most the financial upside to TimesSelect: "It doesn't hurt the profit center."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links referenced within this article

told E&P columnist Steve Outing
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/stopthepresses_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001137302
[email protected]
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/mailto:[email protected]

Find this article at:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001307996
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:21 am
First numbers for NY Times Select
The First Numbers: TimesSelect Draws About 135,000 Paid Users for Exclusive Online Offerings, So Far
Maureen Dowd - New York Times
By Joe Strupp, senior editor at E&P.
Published: November 09, 2005 10:45 AM ET
NEW YORK

About 135,000 Web users have signed up, and paid for, The New York Times' new TimesSelect program, which requires online readers to pay a fee to read its opinion columns, while also providing bonus material, the paper said Wednesday. The numbers reflect those who have agreed to pay the $7.95 monthly fee or $49.95 annual price since the service began less than two months ago.

Home subscribers also have access to the service but do not pay extra for it.

"We're delighted with the enthusiastic response to TimesSelect," Martin Nisenholtz, senior vice president, digital operations for The New York Times Company said in a statement. "Clearly we've put together a product that appeals to a wide range of readers. The feedback from users has been very positive, particularly about interaction with columnists, usage of new tools and access to The Times' archives."

Online-only subscribers represent about half of the overall number of Web users who have registered for the service on the Web. The remaining 135,000 or so are home-delivery subscribers who get the service as part of their regular subscription, but must register online to use it, a Times spokeswoman told E&P.

The paper also noted that more than 90% of those who initially signed up for the program's 14-day free trial have become paying subscribers. In the week before it launched, when TimesSelect was priced at $39.95 per year, more than 20,000 online-only subscribers signed up, the paper said.

"We're committed to making our world-class journalism available across all platforms," said Scott Heekin-Canedy, president of the Times. "TimesSelect is another new and innovative way for readers to interact with The Times."

The service had sparked complaints from some observers, and a few of the columnists themselves, who lamented the loss of a larger, free-access audience. However, most of the writers also agreed that the newspaper needed to increase revenue from the Web.

Launched on Sept. 19, the service also features access to The Times's archives, previews of articles from the Sunday paper, multimedia packages, and new elements involving the columnists, such as question and answers sessions and video packages.

The Times press release also stressed that "the vast majority of NYTimes.com remains free to all visitors. According to internal data in September NYTimes.com achieved record traffic of 21.3 million unique visitors worldwide, a 49% increase from September 2004, principally as a result of hurricane coverage as well as site improvements."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links referenced within this article

[email protected]
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/mailto:[email protected]

Find this article at:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001476145
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:22 pm
This has probably been noted but Krugman etc can be accessed free at truthout.org
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
Bluesgirl--

Welcome to A2K---and thanks for the information.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:20 am
bluesgirl
bluesgirl wrote:
This has probably been noted but Krugman etc can be accessed free at truthout.org

Thanks, the Truthout site is the source I use for accessing the compete text of the restricted New York Times columnists writing.

BBB
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
There was an article in the NY Times business section on Saturday that discussed this issue. It was interesting. Here's a link, as it also published in the International Herald Tribune:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/13/yourmoney/mjoe12-web.php
0 Replies