In search of the Adamic Language?

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:31 am
KK, I finally decided to create a thread, and I hope everyone will try to help those of us that have problems understanding languages.

In all honesty I must confess that I have not given this the research it deserves, and I know very little on the subject. I hope to learn from all those that are willing to share their understanding of the subject.

I only have these three links, and welcome more that can help us understand the subject in question. Religious ones are ok, but I'm more interested in the scientific ones.

These are some of my questions:

1.Do you personally believe that only one language existed once, and which one was it?

2.Should it be called Adamic Language or something else to represent the people of the whole world?

3.Under what criteria should a dominant language be chosen?

4.Do you personally believe that only one language existed once?

5.What kind of world would we have if everyone spoke only one language? Would it be better, worse, or the same?

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/images/sciencelangfam.jpg
6.Is this diagram accurate?

Here are three links I found:

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/sci_rel/010808adamic.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

http://nowscape.com/mormon/Adamic.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 15
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 04:53 am
I just wanted to say that you don't have to answer all the questions, answer as many as you want.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:04 am
Isn't Romanian one of the Romance languages? It's related to Slavic, too, but it has Latin in it, as Romania was run by the Roman Empire for a while there.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:44 am
Your saying it should be there under Slavic? Maybe someone can answer that question soon.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:11 am
This diagram does not have Lithuanian on it. Now Lithuanian has claims to be being the oldest language in Europe...how come it's missing.I feel like I have been liguistically slighted by an incorrect diagram.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
The diagram is far from being accurate as it doesn't list many languages of each group. We only can see there the main languages of the group.
Romanian is one example Jespah pointed out. It belongs to the group of Latin Romance languages (along with sardinian, corsican, frioulan, romanche, rheto-roman, provençal, franco-provençal, catalan, galician, aranese)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
Francis wrote:
The diagram is far from being accurate as it doesn't list many languages of each group. We only can see there the main languages of the group.
Romanian is one example Jespah pointed out. It belongs to the group of Latin Romance languages (along with sardinian, corsican, frioulan, romanche, rheto-roman, provençal, franco-provençal, catalan, galician, aranese)

I see, so this is not a good deagram to work with. I will try to see if I can find another one. Please, will others try and find one too. thanks
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
I need some help. I want to do a search, and ask for:

List of languages from ? to the present. How back do I go? Should I word it differently?

Thanks
0 Replies

MaliciousMazeh

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
Does that mean that; Danish is Germanic north - or North Germanic?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:47 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
This diagram does not have Lithuanian on it. Now Lithuanian has claims to be being the oldest language in Europe...how come it's missing.I feel like I have been liguistically slighted by an incorrect diagram.

I studied Latvian for a little while. I was told that Latvian and Lithuanian were related to each other, and both traced back to Sanskrit.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:53 am
Just for the fun of it...

http://thaloe.free.fr/francais/images/indoeu.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:09 pm
I think a really accurate graphic wil be very difficult, picturing all the variations - as to be seen here with "Tree of Germanic Languages"

A good language tree for the Indo-European languages:

a) Centum Languages

b) Satem languages
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
We can cross the #6 question, it has been answered. That diagram is not correct.

Oh, thank you Francis Very Happy I love all those colorful little people Very Happy

Thank you Walter for those links, and your right about the possibilities of finding an accurate diagram.

Now we five other questions to answer.
0 Replies

subculture of one

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:32 am
One language? Nope
Does every language have a standard starting place? Yup, the brain... Anyone here familiar with modern linguistics and cognitive theory?

On another note, as a Sanskrit (I hesitate to say scholar) 'knower' I have had students with backgrounds (familial) in slavic languages have given me a great deal of insight on the relation between the two... I'm not making much sense, need lunch.

Sub

as for a quest for linguistic families and whatnot, I believe Oxford has an encyclopedia of linguistics which list something like 23 distinct families... Can't really remember too well.

I take this back... please see the following link.
http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=family
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:00 pm
Thank you for the link.
0 Replies

Turtlehead

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:56 am
The Adamic language is called Proto-world.

My belief is that the Adamic language is Cymraeg.

According to Edo Nyland the language was Basque.
0 Replies