Crash 2005

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:41 am
Lash in red.

AKUS wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
You don't have a dictionary"?

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I've had Asian and Black bosses -- they were the best bosses I ever had.

Your first question was unnecessary. I am on the net. I have access to many dictionaries including several not on the net.
Following that logic YOUR question was unneccessary.
Your last sentence reveals that you rely on anecdotal experience to define racism rather than the dictionary definitions you chose.
An erroneous assumption. It only revealed the content of that statement.
In other words: so you've had Asian and African-American bosses who were the best you ever had ... that isn't adequate proof of your supposed lack of racism.
No. That was your assumption.
Frankly, I go further than shewolfnm, who wrote: "Racial jokes? I make em..Silent thoughts that are sometimes based on race alone?
Guilty there too."

I consider that problematic and whenever I hear racial/racist jokes, I confront.
As does LW, as do I, ... That trait is not a minority trait here.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:44 am
When I saw that "Lash in Red" at the top of the page I excitedly tried to click on it, thinking I was going to be treated to an image of Lash clad seductively in a red negligee.

But nothing happened.

It's gonna be another slow day.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:44 am
Now we've descended into inferred ad hominem attacks regading whether someone is racist or not. I also have three Afro-American art and lighting clients and seven (read, it seven, and that's in the OC) at the present time. I just had dinner with my black clients.

Your generalizations that you've tripped into are inconsequential. "Crash" still remains a **l/2 movie I would not see again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:45 am
Gus, she's wearing a black negligee today. We've been consorting by PM.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:45 am
I can't hang around this thread because I am going to watch "Crash" tonight and I don't want you guys ruining anything for me.

I'll check back later.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:49 am
LW tells all my secrets.

I count on him for that.

Come back with your opinion, Gus. I'm interested in what you think about it.
0 Replies

Letty

WOW! How did this simple review sink into a cultural abyss. Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

It's subjective taste in the end and I was taken in by the film on first viewing. It turned out like too many films. A visceral excitement that didn't hold water on a second viewing. Still, for what it is I still give it a better than average rating. It's in the genre of "Magnolia" and the other films A. O. Scott mentions but the genre has never been labled.

Maybe it can't be labled as it keeps morphing into something else.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
Cultural abyss? That's supposedly what L.A. is like but it used to be the OC. The Orange Curtain as it is called. I must say that I visit L.A. but if you offered me L.A. and Hell, I'd sell L.A. and live in Hell.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
AKUS in blue

Lash wrote:
Lash in red.

AKUS wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
You don't have a dictionary"?

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I've had Asian and Black bosses -- they were the best bosses I ever had.

Your first question was unnecessary. I am on the net. I have access to many dictionaries including several not on the net.
Following that logic YOUR question was unneccessary.
Sorry. I was attempting to elicit a response without responding to what I consider a rude post by LW.
Your last sentence reveals that you rely on anecdotal experience to define racism rather than the dictionary definitions you chose.
An erroneous assumption. It only revealed the content of that statement.
~~whatever ~~ :wink: Cool
In other words: so you've had Asian and African-American bosses who were the best you ever had ... that isn't adequate proof of your supposed lack of racism.
No. That was your assumption.
~~whatever~~ Rolling Eyes
Frankly, I go further than shewolfnm, who wrote: "Racial jokes? I make em..Silent thoughts that are sometimes based on race alone?
Guilty there too."

I consider that problematic and whenever I hear racial/racist jokes, I confront.
As does LW, as do I, ... That trait is not a minority trait here.

That's good to learn.

With regard to my 2 "~~whatever~~" responses, please see my sig line. And, yes, I do consider that rude, however, I reached my fill after finding your post.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
Letty wrote:
WOW! How did this simple review sink into a cultural abyss. Shocked

Unfortunately, I have found that to be pervasive, although certainly not limited to 'simple reviews' ... it is all over the Politics section here, for another example.

Letty, you were the one who took the time to kindly welcome me here. Thank you again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:54 am
Your mind is swarming with bias towards other posters based on what you believe they meant in their posts. Make sure your challenges hold water -- at present time, they are leaking.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:56 am
I shall take my sig line's advice at this point, LW. You have beaten me.

sig line = Never argue with a fool: that person will lower you to her or his level and beat you with experience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:58 am
That's correct -- good advice, I shouldn't be arguing with you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:59 am
(Watch those rolling eye smileys -- they do give one's attitude away).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:08 am
Mr. Wizard, the setting of this movie could have been anywhere. The reason that I LOVED CRASH is because it simply showed that under any given situations, the best of us can be obnoxious and the worst of us can be unlikely heroes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:09 am
AKUS wrote:
Lash wrote:
AKUS--

How does anybody define racism?

That was why I posted as I did to Lightwizard.

Lash wrote:
What's your definition?

Something akin to "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." To be more serious, however, I suppose I take a more purist view, however, even that doesn't cut it for me. "All generalizations are false ... including that one." :wink:

Yeah. Sort of makes the whole definition thing moot, eh? Rolling Eyes

A hint: Telling LW, or anyone, that their question is unneccessary, after you've asked them similar questions, is NOT the way to avoid a rude post. Laughing

Giving you specific experiences that involve relationships with minorities isn't a blanket denial of racism, but it does assist in relating one's general lifestyle. It's just an insight that I think is valuable. I think our surroundings, environment, background and how we interact does tell valuable things about our mores, who we are. It's not a disclaimer, but a "trailer," maybe...?

AKUS--

The discussion could have been interesting, without so many negative, personal assumptions, and such nasty parting comments. People who disagree with you aren't fools. How pathetic that you think so. I merely pointed out that your assumptions were just assumptions. If you can't tolerate that mild comment, you may as well shove off now. You'll be shell-shocked in a day. Laughing
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:13 am
Lash wrote:

AKUS--

The discussion could have been interesting, without so many negative, personal assumptions, and such nasty parting comments. People who disagree with you aren't fools. How pathetic that you think so. I merely pointed out that your assumptions were just assumptions. If you can't tolerate that mild comment, you may as well shove off now. You'll be shell-shocked in a day. Laughing

No problem.

I didn't know what goes on here.

I will gladly leave.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:14 am
AKUS, stick around. We don't all go for the throat. <smile> Patronizing is a worse insult, so the diverse opinions are always welcome.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:16 am
The latent racism was believable, the unlikely heroes was not that believable. There are holes in this movie that show up in the second viewing. I do not hate this film, I just believe it is overrated.

I apologies to Letty for spinning out there but I can tell when I'm being baited even if one can't tell if I'm baiting. Racist baiting is just a unacceptable as gay baiting.

There are master baiters all over A2K.
0 Replies