Crash 2005

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
I recently watched this with a church youth group. Our church is one that teaches tolerance and acceptance of all peoples. We used the movie to demonstrate bias and prejudice in America. The kids thought the movie was bogus, thinking that it couldn't possibly represent reality. They are still discussing it, slowly realising how protected and perhaps naive they are growing up in white, middle-class suburbia in an environment of love for all and acceptance of our differences.

This movie was a great example of the prejudices and painful realities of lives in the real world jungle.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:18 am
Are there any minorities in your church group, JB?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:07 am
Yes, and no. The youth group meeting was a district meeting so there were youth from many parts of the central midwest. There are some minorities, but mostly minorities who have been adopted into white families. From our own church group we have black, asian, and hispanic kids in our program but few minority families.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:33 am
Yeah I watched this film a few weeks ago, it really has a certain, distinct style to it. The content of course it always thought-provoking but considering the number and range of characters and backgrounds involved, it became engrossing suprisingly quickly.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
in my opinoion it should be in everyone's dvd collection. incredible film!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
It's in mine and I might even park the upcoming DVD of "Brokeback Mountain" beside it as a tribute to anti-bigotry.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:33 pm
Letty wrote:
Bump.

It won! <big smile>

Agreed!

Nothing against the perceived front-runner, but I was overjoyed when it won. <great big grin>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:37 pm
Welcome to A2K, AKUS. Thanks for your response.

As Mr. Wizard has proclaimed, it points out the latent prejudices is all of us, and the ironies of true heroes.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:24 am
Letty wrote:
Welcome to A2K, AKUS.

Thank you. Smile

Letty wrote:
Thanks for your response.

My pleasure. :wink:

Letty wrote:
As Mr. Wizard has proclaimed, it points out the latent prejudices is all of us, and the ironies of true heroes.

Yes, I agree with both of you. This is one of the few times I have been in agreement with the Academy's choice for "Best Movie" award. This ever-present, yet still subtle in its own way, theme (...the latent prejudices is in us all...) is something I found very appealing. I had a difficult time during my (misspent ... Twisted Evil ) youth understanding, but I do now and hope other people relate in that way as well as those who will have simply enjoyed the action, the pace, the cast and so on without quite 'getting' its purpose, however, that's okay for now anyway. On some level, they will have derived as much as possible for them at the time they saw it, right? Hardly more to ask than that ... Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:29 am
I've watched the film a second time on DVD and was dissapointed. It doesn't hold up to multiple viewings. I've posted A. O. Scott's review on another thread but the review now rings true. Truer than any of the characters in the movie. I don't think it nails any kind of life in L.A. anymore than "Chicken Little." It points to a lot of things but I ended up on the second viewing more confused about its intent than the misgivings that bothered me in the first viewing. A great movie about the present state of racism hasn't been made yet.

Filmsite. org has place "Crash" as just another goof up by the Academy. I agree.

I've passed my copy on to my niece -- she can do with it what she wants.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:33 am
I saw crash.

I was pissed because , frankly, i saw myself and most other people I know in that movie.

Racial jokes? I make em..Silent thoughts that are sometimes based on race alone?
Guilty there too.

Yet, i never thought of myself as racist..
And im not.. but i allow those kinds of feelings and thoughts to exist in my world.

horrid.

I hate learning new things about me like that.

But it was a well needed lesson.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:40 am
I live in the L.A. area amongst blacks and whites in the Fifties and Sixties. Never heard one racial epithet. I often visit friends in the Hollywood area and it isn't uncommon for us to "slum it" and go to places in the lesser desirable areas. I have one racial joke in my repetoire and it was told to me by an Afro-American friend. I view this film as a fable and parts of the script as babble.

Will it change any bigotry? I doubt it.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:43 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I saw crash.

I was pissed because , frankly, i saw myself and most other people I know in that movie.

Racial jokes? I make em..Silent thoughts that are sometimes based on race alone?
Guilty there too.

Yet, i never thought of myself as racist..
And im not.. but i allow those kinds of feelings and thoughts to exist in my world.

horrid.

I hate learning new things about me like that.

But it was a well needed lesson.

My point exactly! :wink:
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:44 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Will it change any bigotry? I doubt it.

You are under the illusion that any movie will change bigotry? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:50 am
I asked a question and my answer was "I doubt it." shewolfman made the allusion that it made her look at herself regarding racism. Since I've never been racist -- I chastised and had a chasm towards my own Father over it. He eventually came around being the good liberal he was. I think the movie is addressing conditions that may still affect some people. It don't believe is is pervasive. Obviously, the director and writers are trying to say it is pervasive. Take more than a movie to convince me. The movie on second viewing failed as entertainment and failed in its message. I was put-off by the message as having weird overtones of racism itself. Reverse racism. White people shouldn't make movies about racism. Black people have done a much better job (and denied the Oscar).
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:08 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I asked a question and my answer was "I doubt it." shewolfman made the allusion that it made her look at herself regarding racism. Since I've never been racist -- I chastised and had a chasm towards my own Father over it. He eventually came around being the good liberal he was. I think the movie is addressing conditions that may still affect some people. It don't believe is is pervasive. Obviously, the director and writers are trying to say it is pervasive. Take more than a movie to convince me. The movie on second viewing failed as entertainment and failed in its message. I was put-off by the message as having weird overtones of racism itself. Reverse racism. White people shouldn't make movies about racism. Black people have done a much better job (and denied the Oscar).

How do you define racism?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:13 am
You don't have a dictionary"?

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I've had Asian and Black bosses -- they were the best bosses I ever had.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:28 am
AKUS--

How does anybody define racism?

I understand that some people may take the purist view, and say if there's ANY difference--even a positive one-- that is racism.

Others say taking a negative action against a person is racism.

What's your definition?
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:34 am
Lightwizard wrote:
You don't have a dictionary"?

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I've had Asian and Black bosses -- they were the best bosses I ever had.

Your first question was unnecessary. I am on the net. I have access to many dictionaries including several not on the net.

Your last sentence reveals that you rely on anecdotal experience to define racism rather than the dictionary definitions you chose. In other words: so you've had Asian and African-American bosses who were the best you ever had ... that isn't adequate proof of your supposed lack of racism.

Frankly, I go further than shewolfnm, who wrote: "Racial jokes? I make em..Silent thoughts that are sometimes based on race alone?
Guilty there too."

I consider that problematic and whenever I hear racial/racist jokes, I confront.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:41 am
Lash wrote:
AKUS--

How does anybody define racism?

That was why I posted as I did to Lightwizard.

Lash wrote:
What's your definition?

Something akin to "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." To be more serious, however, I suppose I take a more purist view, however, even that doesn't cut it for me. "All generalizations are false ... including that one." :wink:
0 Replies