A Pledge of Allegiance is a crock

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
shewolf
shewolf wrote: "In my mind, since it was such a short time ago , I truly believe that ,if the english never landed, the spanish never conquered, we as a nation would be living as close to nature as humanly possible with small trinkets of technology scattered here and there for posterity and power."

Would you be happy and would you want to raise the Bean in such an invironment?

BBB

p.s. Give the Bean a big hug from me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
Diane wrote:
Yay for littlek. Pretty brave for a kid not quite a teenager.

agreed.
As a 9 year old immigrant kid I resented it but didn'rt have the noive to object.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:53 am
Shewolf - I think that the germs did the natives in more than anything else. Their hunters were used to stalking prey who would skitter off at the snap of a twig. Big booted euro men would be easy pickings with bows until they could get their hands on some guns and ammo. That's my opinion anyway.

Panzade, that's the way it goes.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:09 pm
Yes Ralph, grow up! Don't you realize that being American means pissing all over things other people find sacred? The flag?! Crap. Meaningless material. Mariage? Inconvenient and irrelevant! Patriotism? Punch line to a joke!

Get with the program Ralph. This is nothing more than a continual whiny spasm brought forth by small minds and listened to and repeated by smaller minds. Best to ignore it and pray it goes away. Oh, wait, God is just another one of those things to be pissed on. Nevermind...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:32 pm
Take a deep breath McGentrix. No one was whining here (until you showed up).

Ralph's student is on legal high ground (as well as moral high ground). She is fully protected by the Constitution and court precedent.

The only thing that Ralph can do is try to use his position of authority, but hopefully his student has received a good education (presumably from a different source) on her rights as an American.

- No one here has ever said the flag was "crap".

- I have a very "convenient" and relevant marriage. Many of us are fighting for the rights of all Americans to have marriage (this means we feel it is relevant and important).

- Don't confuse Patriotism with "nationalism". Nationalism is a love of symbols and strength. Patriotism is a love of what the country stands for.

Citizens of many countries, from China to Libya to North Korea, support their military, salute their flags, participate in rituals to show their alliegence.

I love America for what she stands for. I love freedom of speech, the fact that we resist state religion, our support of diversity and our rich immigrant heritage.

America, to me, is not about empty symbols. It is about the ideals of liberty, self-determination.

You may be more nationalistic than I, but you are not more patriotic.

- I have no problem with God. My anger is with the hypocrisy of the people who claim to follow God.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:08 pm
McG - No one here, I'd wager, has ever pissed on the flag. And, I would go so far as to guess, that no one here would want to. How are we pissing all over anything, anyway? We just don't want to be forced to pledge a silly pledge.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Yes Ralph, grow up! Don't you realize that being American means pissing all over things other people find sacred? The flag?! Crap. Meaningless material. Mariage? Inconvenient and irrelevant! Patriotism? Punch line to a joke!

Get with the program Ralph. This is nothing more than a continual whiny spasm brought forth by small minds and listened to and repeated by smaller minds. Best to ignore it and pray it goes away. Oh, wait, God is just another one of those things to be pissed on. Nevermind...

The= If Your Not With Us, Your Against Us Mentality.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 02:40 am
littlek wrote:
McG - No one here, I'd wager, has ever pissed on the flag. And, I would go so far as to guess, that no one here would want to. How are we pissing all over anything, anyway? We just don't want to be forced to pledge a silly pledge.

Good point, littlek!. Personally, I never pledged allegiance to the German flag. It would be considered rude in Germany to expect me to. I never peed on the German flag either. That would be considered rude in Germany as well. Not to overstrain McGentrix's sense of nuance, but that's what we do over here. It works quite nicely.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 03:38 am
littlek wrote:
McG - No one here, I'd wager, has ever pissed on the flag.

But the charge sure does add to the dramatic effect of a nationalistic rant.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 04:57 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:
My response was: The flag represents that freedom of which you enjoy. Don't you think that by saying the pledge you are honoring that freedom to which you enjoy?

Ralph,

You don't understand. The flag doesn't represent the freedom that we enjoy. Saying the pledge doesn't honor freedom.

No one here is "ungrateful" for freedom (if I may speak for the others here). Quite the contrary, the people here... who willfully act on their values in against the normal ritual... understand freedom more than most Americans.

As a teacher... what are you teaching your students?

You are teaching that a mindless ritual... a set of words that are repeated each morning... "honors freedom". You are teaching that by not following the crowd... students dishonor the country.

You teach students shouldn't question, shouldn't go against the crowd and shouldn't "complain" when things are wrong.

But your student (and students like her) was displaying the qualities that made the greatest Americans what they were.

Would you teach Rosa Parks to go to the back of the bus? Or Henry David Thoreau to shut up and pay his taxes?

The question I ask you is what kind of teacher you want to be? What kind of citizens do you want to produce?

Do you want your students to go along with the crowd mindlessly... unwilling to break to mold or raise questions?

Great post!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:09 am
dys, Most kids in American schools don't even think about what they are saying when they recite the pledge. It's just another rote thing. I used the American flag to teach symbolism in poetry. I think that's the first time that the students ever tuned in.
0 Replies