Under God With Liberty

real life

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:47 am
Questioner wrote:
RexRed wrote:

There you go again... You would rather put your rights in the hands of people rather that leave them in the hands of divine providence. Do you really think it is a decision made/earned by people that makes us all equal? Would you let a law made by people stop you from exercising your God given rights to "liberty" and life?

If God were going to "give" us rights I'm sure he's powerful enough to do it without allowing thousands of soldiers to die in some bloody war. At least that's what I'd expect the "loving" god to do. I absolutely believe that it was man's decision that led to America being formed, not god's. And as such, I absolutely believe that we earned our own rights, not that some blood-thirsty god finally had his fill and decided to "grant" them to us.

The Founders of America did not hold your view. They believed that rights were God given and it was the duty of government to secure those rights. So blatantly obvious was this considered by them to be, that they termed it "self evident".
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:57 am
real life wrote:
Questioner wrote:
RexRed wrote:

There you go again... You would rather put your rights in the hands of people rather that leave them in the hands of divine providence. Do you really think it is a decision made/earned by people that makes us all equal? Would you let a law made by people stop you from exercising your God given rights to "liberty" and life?

If God were going to "give" us rights I'm sure he's powerful enough to do it without allowing thousands of soldiers to die in some bloody war. At least that's what I'd expect the "loving" god to do. I absolutely believe that it was man's decision that led to America being formed, not god's. And as such, I absolutely believe that we earned our own rights, not that some blood-thirsty god finally had his fill and decided to "grant" them to us.

The Founders of America did not hold your view. They believed that rights were God given and it was the duty of government to secure those rights. So blatantly obvious was this considered by them to be, that they termed it "self evident".

It was a trying time. Religions always flourish in times of great trial due to mankind's inability to cope with sudden death and other events deemed outside of it's control.

The fact that they deemed fit to pay hommage to the religious belief that gave them a warm, happy feeling during the brutal conflict holds no sway over my statement that our rights are man-earned, not god-granted.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:18 am
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:
Questioner wrote:
RexRed wrote:

It was a trying time. Religions always flourish in times of great trial due to mankind's inability to cope with sudden death and other events deemed outside of it's control.

The fact that they deemed fit to pay hommage to the religious belief that gave them a warm, happy feeling during the brutal conflict holds no sway over my statement that our rights are man-earned, not god-granted.

Hi ?er,

Are you implying that their belief in this regard was not sincere, or that it was some type of 'foxhole' belief arrived at under stress?

Please.

The Founders were educated and well versed regarding the governmets of the world (both of their own time and those in the ancient world); and many of them were wealthy men who risked their lives, their wealth and their futures upon the beliefs that they penned in the Declaration.

They collectively stuck their finger in the eye of King George, one of the world's most powerful monarchs. by doing so.

Don't try to tell me they were mouthing some theoretical platitudes to give themselves a warm feeling and a little personal comfort.

No government has EVER been founded before or since that allowed such freedom and prosperity to flourish among the entire population, not just a select few.

The brilliance and veracity of their view, as borne out by experience, is the envy of the entire world.

Sorry. I'll take the Founders' view over yours any day.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:18 am
real life wrote:
Hi ?er,

Are you implying that their belief in this regard was not sincere, or that it was some type of 'foxhole' belief arrived at under stress?

Please.

The Founders were educated and well versed regarding the governmets of the world (both of their own time and those in the ancient world); and many of them were wealthy men who risked their lives, their wealth and their futures upon the beliefs that they penned in the Declaration.

I didn't imply otherwise.

Quote:
They collectively stuck their finger in the eye of King George, one of the world's most powerful monarchs. by doing so.

King George who also believed in god. Didn't seem to do him any good.

Quote:
Don't try to tell me they were mouthing some theoretical platitudes to give themselves a warm feeling and a little personal comfort.

Of course they were. What do you think religion is? Why are there so many religions? People believe what is comfortable for them. In this instance, having a paradise awaiting you once you died horribly on the battlefield lessened any feelings of dread and fear.

Quote:
No government has EVER been founded before or since that allowed such freedom and prosperity to flourish among the entire population, not just a select few.

Agreed. This is not in opposition to my first statement.

Quote:
The brilliance and veracity of their view, as borne out by experience, is the envy of the entire world.

You seem to think that since I am supplying a reason for their belief in god that I am therefore decrying them all as being imbeciles? Now it's my turn to say "Please."

Quote:
Sorry. I'll take the Founders' view over yours any day.

That is your right. But please, do show me one instance where god came down and directed Washington, or Jefferson, or anyone of the thousands of MEN that fought a WAR that won us our freedom.

And try to stick to what I say, without adding your own sarcastic flair so that you may ramble on for several paragraphs.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 01:47 pm
real life wrote:

Real, why do you continue to push the same old line.

The religious beliefs of the founders were many, and varied in degree and scope. The one thing they were united upon was that religion and government should be kept separate.

Early America Secular
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:12 pm
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

Real, why do you continue to push the same old line.

The religious beliefs of the founders were many, and varied in degree and scope. The one thing they were united upon was that religion and government should be kept separate.

Early America Secular

If you're bored, there's other threads, Mesquite.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 04:39 pm
I'm not bored, just keeping you honest.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
mesquite wrote:
I'm not bored, just keeping you honest.

If you want to keep someone honest, perhaps you should start with the inaccurate material on the website you posted the link to. The reason I continue to "push the same old line" is because folks like you continue to post the same old inaccuracies. Laughing
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
If you have a quarrel with any specifics from the website I linked to bring it forward.

Be careful though to not use any of the phony quotes made popular by David Barton.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:03 pm
mesquite wrote:
If you have a quarrel with any specifics from the website I linked to bring it forward.

Be careful though to not use any of the phony quotes made popular by David Barton.

From your site, regarding the Founders:

Quote:
Most of them believed in deism

Now, you know this to be unsupportable drivel. We've been over this before. Give it up.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:49 pm
real life wrote:

Quote:

Now, you know this to be unsupportable drivel. We've been over this before. Give it up.

I will agree that an unsupported use of "most of them believed in deism" is a stretch. They should have just stayed with "our most influential Founding Fathers broke away from traditional religious thinking".

Does the phrase"the laws of nature and natures god" sound deistic or Christian to you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:21 am
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:

Quote:

I will agree that an unsupported use of "most of them believed in deism" is a stretch. They should have just stayed with "our most influential Founding Fathers broke away from traditional religious thinking".

Does the phrase"the laws of nature and natures god" sound deistic or Christian to you?

Sounds vague enough to be either or neither.

Our previous rehash of this is at http://www.able2know.com/forums/about56606-0-asc-80.html

Since this is a major theme of the site that you posted, the author's thesis is shown to be missing a major part of it's foundational argument.
0 Replies

baldbandit

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:53 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
A god of liberty... I often hear religious people go on about divine intervention, and then in the next breath about freedom, not realizing that...

...you do not have freedom unless you are at LIBERTY to f**k up.

To believe in a deterministic god that controls everything is a direct contradiction to the notion of free will.

So, "one nation under god", does not mean that anyone is guided by god, that would be in defiance of everything human.

Guided does not mean forced. Just because someone is giving you instruction on how you can be most happy, doesn't mean you have to follow it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:17 pm
God never possesses but yes God does give guidance. We have the "God given" freedom and liberty to walk in the newness of life or to walk in darkness...

We receive the recompense of our ways...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:18 pm
The Crying God

As in dreams where we sometimes allow our minds to wander out into the open spaces of our own captivity I dreamed this dream. I was high on a hill and an angel flew down and picked me up and carried me up into the heights of heaven. I looked down on the earth and saw the valleys and the open plains and they were as a pastoral painting of such beauty and awe. They were untouched by blight and the scourge of the worlds industries.

As I neared the heavens I saw angels living in a harmonious communion. There was serenity and perfect peace among the heavenly spirits. Yet I was taken even higher to another heaven, one that was so far above all that I had ever perceived. There in this heaven sat God in a majestic throne. From without I saw radiance and a brightness of light that was both humbling and warm to my face.

I soon was at the feet of this God in such humble submission that I felt there was no need to ever leave this place of such a great and wondrous presence. I could not help myself but to look up into the face of this God. To but once stare into the eyes of God and feel God's inner sanctity.

As I looked up I noticed tears in God's eyes... They were reddened and his furrows were contorted with wrinkles and lines that witnessed of great sorrows. I was both startled and perplexed. Why was God crying?

I spoke and my words seemed to become a hollow silence as if they had no atmosphere with which to travel. My lips were dry and my heart was beating from the shock of seeing such immense power cowering and wreathing in such perceived weakness.

I managed to speak four words in a question. Why do you cry? God lifted his head and said, I cry for you... I cry that you will come to know my love. That you will seek the light and in such find it within to love your neighbor. I cry because you are crying and you hide your tears in my name... I cry and cannot cease from your pain. I have seen the hate and the bloodshed. I have seen the division and prejudice. I have seen the rage and violence and I weep for the world.

I wanted to comfort this God and to hold this God in my arms but I could sense that this would not stop the tears. This would not end this God's suffering. As long as the world continued to live in chaos and injustice that this God would continue to cry...

Somehow I was filled with love for this God. That in weakness and tenderness of heart I found respect. I drew close to this God and suddenly I began to cry. That was when the dream ended and when I awoke I had tears in my eyes and I only then knew the love of God.

I knew to look to the heart and to strive for the good of all of creation. I wanted to do something to make this God smile again... To give this God a day or a moment of peace and rejoicing. To stand again and be a shining example to the world. To live in the love of God and to feel for the people.

People have lost their ability to feel. They have become cold and hardened by this world. It is when we learn to cry that we learn compassion... Only through our compassion can the crying God smile again...

RexRed

Luke 3:4
As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:56 am
IF you dont believe there is an afterlife how can you possibly believe in GOD?
How can people believe there is an afterlife in the first place? Has anyone seen it?

NO

Ive heard so many sermons where they go on and on about Jesus, and God, and how you will be condemned when you die if you dont believe in them. Why would people be scared for if theres no afterlife, if upon death, your ashes will be scattered over the earth and that would be the end of you. Where is the after-life?

so I rest my case
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:58 am
"RELIGION IS A MENTAL DISEASE"- Benito Musollini

I agree with this thesis strongly. Religion is a lie to get people to behave and feel unwarranted guilt on their part
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:01 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
"RELIGION IS A MENTAL DISEASE"- Benito Musollini

I agree with this thesis strongly. Religion is a lie to get people to behave and feel unwarranted guilt on their part

Way to go, James. Great quote coming from a man who allied his nation with Hitler.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:05 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
IF you dont believe there is an afterlife how can you possibly believe in GOD?
How can people believe there is an afterlife in the first place? Has anyone seen it?

NO

Ive heard so many sermons where they go on and on about Jesus, and God, and how you will be condemned when you die if you dont believe in them. Why would people be scared for if theres no afterlife, if upon death, your ashes will be scattered over the earth and that would be the end of you. Where is the after-life?

so I rest my case

Your case is rested on sinking sands...

Only those who reject God are JUDGED...

Those who accept God were "already" judged "WITH CHRIST JESUS" so they will ONLY be rewarded in the "afterlife"... Instead of relying on what other say about the Bible you might do well to read it for yourself. You might find "others" are plain and simple... WRONG....
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:51 am
I am sorry if i offended you
0 Replies