Iraq: How should we proceed?

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
Overwhelming force. Unprecedented, overwhelming force. A door to door clean out campaign. If we have to evacuate every city one by one and do a door to door search of every hut in the city. Kill all the rats. Find cahes, check fingerprints. Offer significant bounties on the heads of every known officer in AQ--

Saturate the borders.

Pull out everything including the kitchen sink--for six months or so--

Train AND PROTECT Iraqi police while this is going on.

Leave all manner of moniters in inconceivable locations for future use--and get out.

We should have gone in with overwhelming force. One critical mistake.

My opinion, anyway.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:13 pm
Scorpia wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
If we're going to be leaving the area unstable sooner or later, why not sooner. There's no stabilizing these people.

I understand that and can say that I've felt that way many times. But it's not just about today, or this administration. As much as I don't like it, I think that because we bit it off, we have to chew it. And I agree that that region will probably never be truly "stable." It never has and does not look likely that it ever will. But all I want to see a way to keep some face and bargaining power in that region when we run away.

I disagree with this.

Iraq belongs to the Iraqis. It is the Iraqis who must agree to a solution. It is the Iraqis who will figure it out, or suffer the consequences.

Iraq has been stable and can be stable.

Unfortunately what we are seeing now is a violent ethnic conflict. This is not unusal in any part of the world, but it is a very real problem in Iraq. But... thinking that the US can impose a solution is ridiculous-- especially given the understandable distrust of the US that people of the region have.

When the US leaves, there will perhaps be the violent conflict that everyone fears, but it will without question be much less extreme, and will be resolved much sooner with less bloodshed than with the US presence. The US is not helping, it is inflaming passions and making the problem much worse.

The US invasion was a mistake. The price for that mistake is high and unfortunate.

For the US to continue its occupation is a bigger mistake with even higher costs.

There is no reason to believe that continuing a mistake is a good idea .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:13 pm
We don't have "force" overwhelming enough to do the job.

With each escalaltion in Vietnam...the enemy simply got stronger and more determined.

The same thing is happening here.

Trying what you are suggesting is a recipe for disaster.

Before we went in...many of those of us who vehemently opposed the move WARNED that the option available to us if we did....would be horrendous.

They are!

We gotta take the one that let's us (US) off the hook best and fastest.

Mr. President...get us the hell out of there. NOW!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:30 pm
USA > Foreign Policy
from the September 16, 2005 edition

US tempers its view of victory in Iraq

The Pentagon hoped to quell unrest before a pullout, but violence is changing US goals.

By Mark Sappenfield | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

WASHINGTON – Since the day in May 2003 when President Bush stood beneath a banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished," the course of the conflict in Iraq has been one of optimism followed by revision. From the earliest battle plans, which called for the quick return home of tens of thousands of troops, to the campaign in Fallujah and national elections that followed, the Pentagon had hoped it could largely eliminate lingering unrest before turning security over to Iraqis.

The increasingly bracing tone from the White House and Pentagon, however, points to a new calculus. The persistence of the attacks, as well as their undiminished capacity - witnessed by Wednesday's bombings in Baghdad, which killed more than 150 Iraqis - seems to have confirmed that the insurgency will probably outlast the American occupation

http://csmonitor.com/2005/0916/p01s02-usfp.html

I wonder if Bush will admit to this mistake.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:59 pm
I think I agree with Lash on this. I think for the next six months, we should use everything we've got to try to beat down the opposition. Then, after that six months, we get out, no matter what. I think that we could easily double the troops we have for six months, couldn't we? Just six months of serious boots-on-the-ground flushing out of terrorists and insurgents. I think it's possible that this could at least be able to slow the insurgents down temporarily, thus giving us the ability to leave and claim some kind of victory, however hollow it might be.

And if it doesn't do anything to quell the violence at all, then we leave with our tails between our legs, and live with the consequences.

Either way, we're out in six months. This way, the U.S. might be able to convince at least some of the world that we really did try to put things right.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 12:39 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
And the embryonic government there, what will happen to it when we scurry off?

Probably the same thing that will happen if we stay...and get thousands more of our men and women killed...and tens of thousands more of theirs.

It will more than likely evolve into an Arab, Islamic theocracy.

Why do you ask?

Because I think that it is wrong to leave the inchoate government to deal with all the people trying to pull it down.

So what do you think our strategy should be?
0 Replies