How Did Tyson Get By W/ Segregated Bathrooms This Long ?

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:31 am

Obviously Mr. Clay is right. If someone doesn't stand up ... I mean it's been 30+ years. How on earth did this go on so long? Is it happening elsewhere and just not being addressed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 898 • Replies: 6
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:10 am
Quote:
Posted on Fri, Aug. 12, 2005

Tyson says no evidence of "Whites Only" sign at Ashland plant

Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Tyson Foods Inc. found no evidence that a "Whites Only" sign was placed outside a small, padlocked restroom being remodeled at its Ashland plant and feels a federal agency's discrimination suit is unwarranted, a company spokesman said Friday.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a lawsuit Thursday on behalf of black employees at the plant who claim white workers posted the sign on the locked bathroom and allowed only whites to use it.

"We have always cooperated with the EEOC, and have been in this matter, so we are baffled by the agency's decision to file the lawsuit. We do not tolerate discrimination in the workplace," said Gary Mickelson, a spokesman for the Arkansas-based meat processing company.

Mickelson said the allegations involve a restroom in a small maintenance shop at the Ashland plant, which has 300 employees. Once the company became aware of the claims, officials investigated but were never able to verify that a sign had been put up or that anyone was restricted from using the restroom, he said.

Source

so who do we believe? or who has the more persuasive lawyers? this is rather flagrant, but it wasn't that long ago when Denny's wouldn't serve African-American secret service agents, so i don't necessarily "buy" Tyson's denial.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
If the EEOC investigated and then saw fit to file...

Yeah, I remember the Denny's story.

Just amazed this would still be going on with such flagrant disregard for the law by major corporations when they have to know they will face lawsuits. Can't make laws to guide someones personal opinion about others, but they should see as corporations they can't discriminate and know the consequences.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:00 am
squinney wrote:
Just amazed this would still be going on with such flagrant disregard for the law by major corporations when they have to know they will face lawsuits.

even if they win the lawsuits, it's terrible PR & therefore bad business. i wouldn't set foot in a Denny's for years after the story about the Secret Service agents broke.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:10 am
squinney wrote:
If the EEOC investigated and then saw fit to file...

Yeah, I remember the Denny's story.

Just amazed this would still be going on with such flagrant disregard for the law by major corporations when they have to know they will face lawsuits. Can't make laws to guide someones personal opinion about others, but they should see as corporations they can't discriminate and know the consequences.

unfortunately though, tyson's will probably settle out of court not admitting to anything, just giving them money. makes me sick. I agree, there has to be some truth there if the EEOC investigated and saw reason to file.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:29 am
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about Mike Tyson Surprised

I don't know, I'd have to read further about this....I see some spots in the article I'm skeptical of.

for instance, the lines about not being able to use a rest room because they "were dirty"

Where they referring to the bathrooms, or to the people?

When they say dirty, do they mean the people who were trying to use that bathroom were covered in chicken guts, and other people were grossed out?

If some of the workers were covered with chicken guts, were they all black.

Were the people not covered with chicken guts ALL white?

Most things can be reworded to make it something they are not. I'd need to read specifics before I climb on board with this one.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
very good points chai.

the only thing that sticks with me, the EEOC investigated and found reason to file suit.

i do agree though that the comment about being dirty could very well in fact be in relation to the person being covered in chicken guts.
0 Replies