UEFA Champions League

graemedaulby

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:42 am
i also hate the champions league, why i hear you ask, TRANMERE ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUS ARE NOT IN IT!!!!!!
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:07 pm
graemedaulby wrote:
i also hate the champions league, why i hear you ask, TRANMERE ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUS ARE NOT IN IT!!!!!!

A good point. I've always felt that the non-participation of Tranmere Rovers in the C'pions League devalues the competition to such an extent as to render it meaningless.

Arise, Tranmere and take your place among the footballing giants of the earth. Graemedaulby and I demand it!!
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:58 am
GO ON FORGEINERS! i mean Arsenal!

even if you did knock out juve (my team) i want you to win now! lol
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:58 pm
Go South American All-Stars! I mean Inter....

erm...

I'll root for Arseanal since they're playing really well right now.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 01:28 pm
Milan-Barcelona 0-1 yesterday... Milan was better at this game but the class of Barcelona finally dominated.

Arsenal and Villareal are playing right now, Toure just scored, score is 1-0.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 01:54 pm
Meanwhile, tomorrow will see the first of the four games of the semi-finals for the UEFA Cup. Is there any competition more dreary than the UEFA Cup? Less glamorous?

I mean, look who are left contending in that one for chrissakes. Yer semi-finalists are Steaua Bucarest, Middlesbrough, Schalke 04 and Sevilla. The league of stars it is not..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 02:22 pm
I DO WONDER WHY YOU UNLUCKY LOOSER NAMED SCHALKE!

Rotterdamsche Voetbal en Athletic Vereeniging Sparta, SC Excelsior, than there's another one ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 04:19 pm
Hey I cant help it. Theyre in the semi-finals - Schalke is, I mean. Which, for Schalke, is probably quite an honour Mr. Green
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:02 am
I suppose, I'm the only one with some knowledge about football: since more than 30 years I'm saying that Schalke will be champion this year ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 04:22 am
Nah, I like Schalke, really. They're hard-working and unassuming, and they must have the most loyal and fanatic supporter base within a 700 mile radius..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:19 am
<Psscht: do be honest: it's the same with Dortmund. And not only towns and villages are divided, but even family are in football war. Not here, though: Mrs. Walter is just another nelectable Dortmund fan.>
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 02:50 pm
You two are confussing... mainly because I don't watch German football because the match goes on too long because everyone dives... same in the premiership but atleast the prem are trying to do something about it... I don't know why Germany is hosting the World Cup because it's hardly and intresting country Germany don't know what the meaning of fun is!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 02:57 pm
Whoa, almost confused me with your disguise there...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 05:49 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:54 pm
Well, Barcelona won... deservedly.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 04:13 pm
How can you say that? The ref was a total w*nker, who was completely out of his depth. Sending Lehmann off was definitely the wrong decision, which killed the game. He had the choice of awarding the goal and letting eleven play eleven, which would possibly have ended up as one of the most exciting matches played this year.
From the moment of Lehmann's dismissal, it became a war. Not good for the game at all.
The Norwegian ref was obviously only used to overseeing Pub matches back at home. He certainly couldn't cope with the electric pace that both these teams possess.

Nevertheless, Arsenal scored with only ten men, and held that lead for almost an hour. They then conceded two quick goals right at the end, when they were knackered.

Van Bollock kicked lumps out of several Arsenal players, and wasn't booked. Henry was kicked all over the pitch, but rarely had any fouls awarded because he stayed on his feet, rather than diving. The ref did nothing to protect him.
Thierry Henry is usually the perfect gentleman in post match interviews. In his Sky post match interview, he said that he thought the referee should have been wearing a Barca shirt.
He was furious.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that it was all pre-ordained that Barca would win tonight.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:24 pm
How can he say the ref was favoring Barca when he denied a clear "advantage" (don't know the correct word in english) rule and rejected them of a goal, and the next few minutes he buys a phantom foul near the box which resulted in the Arsenal goal.

I too wish the match would've gone that way as 11 vs. 11 with Arsenal needing to score to win would've been much more fun than the bunkering they did today.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:43 pm
Lord Ellpus, you don't know how much I'm going to enjoy your posts during the World Cup!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:05 pm
Pantalones wrote:
How can he say the ref was favoring Barca when he denied a clear "advantage" (don't know the correct word in english) rule and rejected them of a goal, and the next few minutes he buys a phantom foul near the box which resulted in the Arsenal goal.

I too wish the match would've gone that way as 11 vs. 11 with Arsenal needing to score to win would've been much more fun than the bunkering they did today.

The referee had the option to play the advantage. He chose to give Barca the very much bigger advantage of playing against ten men for almost an entire match.
It is obvious to me now that a referee who has been brought up on a diet of smorgasborg, beer and Norwegian viking songs doesn't have the brain capacity to think as fast as a Spanish/Italian/British/German ref.

It was the FINAL of the European championships, for chrissake. Why choose someone who's only claim to fame is that he officiates in the Norwegian football league?
It's a bit like appointing Mr Bean to oversee the world chess final.

The Cup was taken to England last year. UEFA are not exactly known for being squeaky clean and fair. It would be obviously good for business if the Cup moved around Europe on an equal share basis, rather than one country winning it two years (or more...just wait for next year with Chelsea et al) on the trot.
Sepp Splatter (UEFA No.1) is basically the UEFA equivalent of GWB. He is an empire builder, who takes every opportunity to feather his own nest, and the nests of his fellow UEFA mafia. Just to give you an example of this, do you know how many tickets were given to fellow UEFA officials, big executives and corporations for last nights match, as opposed to genuine football supporters? Estimates vary from about 35000 to 45000!

It is no surprise to me that, when UEFA had the pick of Europes best refs to choose from (at least fifty are much better qualified than the prat who ballsed it up last night), that UEFA chose Erikk Hornhat to officiate.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:23 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Lord Ellpus, you don't know how much I'm going to enjoy your posts during the World Cup!

........That's very kind. In return, I shall look forward to pleasuring you, fbaezer.
0 Replies