oh mom, you back in college -shucks your nightmare begins !!

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:38 am
my mom is back into college after 30 years
she did it on my persuation
now its getting tough for her-she says she can't get along with those stupid 18 year olds and they make fun of her too
she is quite upset, don't know what to do?
please help my mom, all the mummies out there
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 747 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:48 am
Is your mother taking courses or working for a degree?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:51 am
Kudos to your mom. I'm sorry that 18-year-olds can be such little shits. Tell her not to take it too personally and to try to just focus on her course work. They'll be running to her to help them by the middle of the semester.
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
she is going for a degree in Nutrition
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:24 pm
If the college offers evening classes, that might be the way to go. When I was an undergrad, it seemed like most of the 30 and over students took those courses.
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
nay they don't have.worse there are no other moms
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:30 pm
I read recently that nearly half of all college students are "non-traditional" meaning "older than 17-22.

Is she taking the standard Freshman introductory courses? English 1, History 1, Basic Chemistry?
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:26 pm
Nutritional Sciences
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
Tell her to hang in there and hold her head up high! They will eventually quit and leave her alone. Ask her...Whats more important...what they think of her, or what she thinks of herself?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:36 pm
I am a non-traditional student--and boy do I see some things about moms they may not see about themselves.

I'm 44 and I've only been back to school for a year--and I'm loving it. I so want your mom to love it, too.

I bet she is speaking up in class, expressing her views on subjects (psychology, political science, science, art, literature, sociology...) and they may be a tad antiquated for her younger students. This is common place for some older students--and ESPECIALLY socially conservative or "sheltered" people, who have rather rigid views.

Could this possibly describe your mom? If so, the remedy is easy.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:47 pm
Well..I'm also a non-traditional student. I'm 35 and back in a "Classroom". An online college, we have all ages, from 18 on up to 60. Even though we aren't face to face to each other, we do share a "classroom" and a "chat room" together. It can be a bit nerve racking at times, especially when its a new class and new people. We have to feel our way around to each persons personalities and it can cause some heated arguements. But its worth it.

Maybe if it becomes too much for her to handle...there are accredited colleges online that offer so many degrees, that she'd probably be able to pursue it at home.
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:39 am
many thanks for your insights. my momma says she speaks up. but she can't get along with young people. she has people like me - how to treat people the age of her son???
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
From your description, your mother has a bit of Generational Responsibility to unlearn.

Students are students. She doesn't have to mother these kids or understand these kids or reform these kids. She simply has to regard them as equals in a shared ignorance of Nutritional Science and in a shared ambition to succeed in Nutritional Science.

Perhaps she's thought of herself as "Mother" for so long, that she needs some time to slide out of the role of "Mother" and into the role of "Student"?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
I am experiencing great fun and success with younger students. I have actually had more than a few approach me for help studying for tests and writing essays.

I'm sure if your mom can make some adjustments, she will be relaxed and begin developing comfortable relationships with the younger students.

First, she should come to terms with the fact that although her views are valid to her and probably other people--they are not shared by everyone. Sometimes, as people her age do--when you very forcefully share an opinion and you say it in such a manner that insults anyone who doesn't share that opinion--that sticks with other people. They talk about it among themselves and sort of hold you in derision.

Like this-- I have had women my age in classes GO OFF in psychology or during Western Civilization--basically refuting documented fact because of "what God says" or "that's not how we did it when I was a child"... I do have a lot of sympathy for people who have been conditioned to believe certain things very strongly--and absolutely can't seem to tolerate opposing opinions.

And, college REALLY thrusts students into seeing things in a new way--and sometimes forces them to admit to themselves that they've been wrong about some things. This is a very painful process for some people. That pain can come out by making rather opinionated (and personal, emotional) speeches in classrooms.

The best thing she can do is
1) Stop giving her opinions in class for at least the rest of the semester.

2) Try to open her mind to hear and think about new things. She may think about them and dismiss them--but at least think about them.

3) Don't show displeasure on her face when someone expresses an opinion that she really can't stand.

3) Listen to other people's opinions--and remind herself their opinions--even if she disagrees with them--are as important as hers.

4) Work on smiling at people in the hall and in class.

5) If she has a particular strength, and she overhears a student having trouble with it, offer help--in a friendly--not motherly--or condescending way.

If she knows she dosn't have to chunk all her beliefs--but just become tolerant of others' beliefs and opinions--she will have learned something far more valuable than anything in the academic realm--in my opinion.

She should consider the younger students as equals. They are all students. SAs Noddy said, this is a time to free herself from a position of "mother" and take a break. Her position at school is just "student". An equal.

Good luck, dear. It is marvellous that she's attending. Bolster her confidence, but help her know she has nothing to teach but a good example of a human being--and she has everything to learn.

She should enjoy the adventure.

What a good child you are for encouraging her.
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:01 pm
oh thanks lash
i'll see to it that she remains motivated and i would makke her read all this great advice
0 Replies