Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,899 • Replies: 22
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:54 pm
man's inhumanity to man seemingly knows no bounds
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:38 pm
I'm curious to know more, too. There's really insufficient information. I saw the headline on a news site and didn't bother to read the story. I think the headlines sensationalize something which may have an innocent explanation.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
Edgar, this is indeed a curious story.

Myself, I can't see any circumstances whereby children would be needed to be put in "cages" for their, or others, protection. Surely there would be other alternatives. All they would have had to do is ask the adoptive agency for some help of some kind, and perhaps better ways of handling problem children.

Either way, why did they adopt so many? 11 is too many!

It will be interesting to see if there are any follow-up stories.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
Why they were allowed so many children, all or most of whom have special problems, is disturbing. I suspect they were not purposely cruel; still, I don't like the cages.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:59 pm
Well, I know what it is like to have a special needs child, as my wife and I adopted a 5 1/2 year old girl back in 1987. She was enough of a handful at times. I couldn't fathom 11!

Let's hope for more details in the days to come.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:08 pm
This reminds me of John and Linda Dollar, they did the same thing, except they beat them with garden tools, and gave them very little food. John Dollar also sexualy abused them as well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:10 pm
I think it doesn't sound that bad. I've never had to raise children with special needs, and I don't feel any outrage here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:20 pm
I have a special needs child. Anyone who puts one in a cage should have their f*cking guts removed with a butterknife. Period.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 01:50 pm
Were the cages used for confining kids--or was each child in that large and crowded family given a "cage" as a separate and private place?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
I think I need a better description of the "cages" and how long they were in there before I could say.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 01:53 pm
They were three by three. My beagle has a bigger crate. Also, no covers or pillows to be found.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:25 pm
im with you freeduck..

i think the way this is presented is intended to drum up hatred from society before there is a complete investigation done.

i am not advocating those cages, and I too am questioning WHY 2 people were allowed to adopt 11 kids??? jeezzeee

but what was going on in that house?
what if the kids were a SERIOUS danger to themselves and the other kids?
What if they had been doing major physical damage to each other to the point of many ER visits..?
What if these cages were just a desperate attempt of safety and security for them?
No blankets or pillows? If- the scene was truly an innocent one- blankets and pillows can suffocate kids. Maybe they had used those things before to hurt themselves or the other kids?
what if they DID ask for help and got this quack doctor who said " put 'em in cages' ?

the what if's can go on and on..
but from my stand point, i dont get a feeling that it was truly about abuse, and more about inadequate parenting.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:00 pm
I agree with Shewolf. I don't think we have been told enough facts to pass judgement.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:30 pm
That's what I was thinking, shewolf. You said it better.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:51 pm
You did good though, FD, for a duck.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:01 am
NORWALK, OHIO - The adoptive mother of a group of children who were confined in cages at night accused her husband four years ago of being a danger to the family.

In court papers requesting a separation in March 2001, Sharen Gravelle said she wanted custody of their then eight young children because of her husband's "physical mistreatment of the children."

The couple, who now have 11 adopted special needs children, eventually resolved their differences.

Authorities, however, now are making similar allegations.

This week, prosecutor Russell Leffler filed 11 complaints of child abuse and neglect to authorize the placement of the children in foster care.

No criminal charges have been filed.

A hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 27
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:29 am
Thanks for the update, Edgar. It will be interesting to see what unfolds here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:31 am
dlowan wrote:
You did good though, FD, for a duck.

and she was quick.... like a bunny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 05:57 pm
Ohio pair accused of caging kids indicted

An Ohio couple accused of forcing some of their 11 adopted children to sleep in cages were indicted Tuesday for child endangerment, authorities said.

Michael and Sharen Gravelle also are accused of falsifying adoption applications and lying under oath, said Huron County Prosecutor Russ Leffler.
0 Replies